Alan Pardew

Dave

Combination of

Poor transfer dealings

Out of form players

Piss poor tactics

Pardew to blame for at least 2 of them

What piss poor transfer dealings ? Lack of transfer dealings , yes, but that isn't down to Pardew. And I'm pretty sure you can't blame the manager for the form of the players.

Guest neesy111

NUFC_Stats: Demba Ba’s 8 Premier League goals this season have earned NUFC 8 points - without him, we’d have just 6 points and be 19th! #nufc

I'm exasperated with him this season and have little faith in him to correct it. No doubt we'll be told the week's training working on defending against the mighty Maritimo is why we got beat by Southampton.

Every action he takes seems to be fuelled by the desire to keep the opposition out and it's a philosophy I hope isn't being instilled at youth level. From what I've observed, most good footballing sides try and work through the middle of the pitch, whereas we are far too quick to sling it wide to the likes of Danny Simpson, who can hook in his lofted diagonal, eaten up inevitably by the opposition centre halves. I think this itself is a defensive tactic, because we're less likely to be caught with the ball in the middle and countered.

Being caught on the counter is a huge deal for Pardew and it terrifies him IMO. That's why we often sit deep and practise the long ball game into Shola, that's why Tiote and Cabaye are told to sit rigidly infront of the two centre halves, that's why Jonas will still be starting this time next year.

I think the lofted FK routine to Williamson is another example of defensive set plays, which is mental really. Even trying to limit the opposition's attacking strength from our own supposedly 'attacking' set plays.

Finding it really hard to muster any positivity this season.

This season was always going to be difficult, because we did so well last year and probably did better than anybody expected, myself included. The only way we were going to remain a top 5 team was if we invested heavily due to the extra number of games in Europe, and i think we all knew that wasn't going to happen. Pards has just signed an 8 year contract, the club obviously have a long term plan for where they expect us to be in the coming seasons. It will take time for us to establish ourselves regularly as a top team, but i am sure if we give them time we could still achieve this. Pards deserves time to get it right and i still fully support him.

not loosing faith in him or NUFC. But this is relegation form.

Loosing at home vs westham and swansea with no positives from the performances doesn't look good.

http://i.imgur.com/sxwqd.png

:bluestar:

I just cannot buy the investment argument. Even if you've got a load of duds, the most important thing by far is to get them playing as a team - make them more then the sum of their parts, like WBA are.

Pardew isn't making proper use of what he's got, never mind giving him anything extra. We've looked disjointed and rigid from day one so the Europa is simply not a valid excuse. In fact while the results were good, we looked that way for most of last season and I've never bought this "Miracle of 5th Place" either - that squad finished on par IMO. Chelsea it could be argued underachieved in the league but who was next? Everton and Liverpool? Neither have or had squads as good as ours so an overachievement argument is absolute bullshit.

I lost faith after yesterday. Those are two results you'd expect from relegation candidates. I'm not saying we are (we definitely won't go down, obviously), but it's utterly fucking dismal.

Something is horribly wrong.

More worrying is Pards newsbites and body language on the touchline, it's pretty clear to me he has no idea what is going wrong and even wether there IS actually something significantly wrong. A lot of his pronouncements I find disingenous and distracting from the real issues. He is basically in denial. That for me is seriously worrying.

I place blame squarely at the feet of our European campaign.  Not that we have been putting too much emphasis on the European competition, just that we're in it at all.  For the past few weeks, for most weeks, we have been playing a mid-week game as well as our league games on weekends.  This massively runs interference with the squads training regime, including set pieces development and skills practice.

Where I see evidence of this is in some of the technical execution.  For example, against Swansea we had plenty of shots on goal, but only a relatively small number of them made the goal keeper have to work hard.  One of the reasons that I see for this is the way our players take their shots on goal.  In recent weeks when Ba, Cisse, Ben Arfa, Anita, Cabaye, and others have taken shots at goal they have been leaning backwards, with the body falling away from the ball, or kicking across the face off the ball.  This technique causes the ball to be kicked up an over the goal face or slices it across the face of the goal, like a bad golf shot.  We also see the technical faults in the set pieces as they are poorly placed and just lobbed in to the area, not to the movement of the team on the pitch.

Ordinarily these sorts of technical issues would be picked up, addressed and practiced again and again during mid-week practice sessions.  But with the European campaign occupying time, with not just the game but also travel to cope with, the opportunity to fix these things simply isn't there.

Final evidence of this theory will be to see how we perform in the league two or three weeks after the round-robin stage of the European competition finishes.  If we improve in this window then it will be proof positive (in my eyes anyway) that Europe has severely damaged our league season.

What is currently transpiring is one of the principal concerns I had of qualifying for Europe.  Don't get me wrong, I am thoroughly impressed and thrilled that we were that good last year, but I am concerned that it has put us back on the same roller-coaster that we've been on as a club for the past 2 decades.

the abuse on here is so OTT :lol:

all the going on about how he plays a 4-4-2 all the time and how dreadfull it is. did everyone just ignore the whole 45 mins we spend playing with Sammy, Shane and Anita behind Ba? or the fact for the brief moment when we played 4-4-2 in the second half before we were one goal down we actually played some of the best and most fluid football this season?

massive problem for me is, like Pardew said, is at the back, we dont look like the solid unit we did last year and its hard to build a decent attack when you can't trust the people behind you if it goes wrong.

You mention 45 minutes when "Sammy, Shane and Anita behind Ba," is that the same 45 minutes when Ba and Sammy did the same as Ba and Cisse did last week and challenged for the same ball in the box?  We were 4-4-2 in the first half with Ferguson wide left, Sammy and Ba in the middle with Ben Arfa playing mainly wide right but coming inside.  Ben Arfa was the only one who didn't hold a rigid position.  The other 3 were where you would expect to see them for most of the time.

You can blame the defence all you want, the defence are not to blame for Swansea walking around our central 2 which they did almost at will.  They passes around us as if we were out-numbered at times and that wasn’t unexpected once we went with 2 in the middle. 

Earlier in the week I said we’d lose to these because they would pass the ball around us, unlike last year they can get goals.  Later in the week I thought that Pardew was starting to realise where our problems lie.  I thought he would go 3 in the middle because he’d recognised that we were being outplayed.  I didn’t take much notice of him justifying playing 2 in central midfield because I thought that it was just him covering his own arse, I was wrong.

Not having Cisse was the ideal opportunity to try something different and an opportunity to go with 3 in the middle without upsetting anybody but he’s either too pig headed to change or can’t and that will be his downfall here.

For all we played slightly better at times yesterday, we were still outnumbered in an area of the field which you must control to win games and we didn’t do it.  Our movement off the ball was still poor and we were still not creating space, we were still relying on Ben Arfa giving us a spark and he can’t carry the team.  Take Krul and Ben Arfa out of that team yesterday and we could have lost by 4 or 5 goals.  Krul dropped a massive bollock for the first, away from that he kept us in it because we could have been 3 goals down before half time.

I've got no real problem with Pards giving the media soundbites and doing the politician type bullshit just as long (and this is the important bit!) he knows in his head that there's issues that need resolving and he and his coaching team are working on them. 

What is really really pissing me off is that this isn't a sudden dip in form, it's basically been since the start of the season, and so far he hasn't shown me just a fucking glimpse of trying to find an answer to our problems.  I can't recall a substition where I've watched and thought 'yeah Pards, I can see what you're trying to do there'.  Head in the sand stuff! 

Last season it was all the fans were the '11th man' and they 'know their football up here' but as when we hit a slump and our opinions turn slightly critical we 'dont know what we're talking about' etc.

Guest neesy111

NUFC_Stats: Demba Ba’s 8 Premier League goals this season have earned NUFC 8 points - without him, we’d have just 6 points and be 19th! #nufc

Pointless stat. Without him, Cisse would have scored a lot more.

I'm not sure about that

Combination of

Poor transfer dealings

Out of form players

p*ss poor tactics

Pardew to blame for at least 2 of them

What p*ss poor transfer dealings ? Lack of transfer dealings , yes, but that isn't down to Pardew. And I'm pretty sure you can't blame the manager for the form of the players.

Of course you can, the way we play isn't suiting them and our disjointed season isn't either.

Oh the irony of Chris Hughton being flavour of the month

The irony of him getting sacked with a points total that Pardew is unlikely to reach is the one that gets me.

Get over it Mick, Hughton's an average manager. Despite him doing a marvelous job at every single club he's been at (including running an impressive 46 game season alongside a Europa League campaign without whinging and moaning about it all the fucking time).

Get over it Mick, Hughton's an average manager. Despite him doing a marvelous job at every single club he's been at.

I'm not going to try and change history, I had my doubts about Hughton as I thought that he was too cautious but I also thought that he was learning and I felt that he deserved at least a full season unless it all went tits up, which is wasn't doing so at the time of his sacking.  The bloke is one of the most dignified managers I've come across in football and he deserved better.

If we'd brought Jol in, who was out of work within days of Hughton being sacked, I would have seen sense in the decision because I think Jol would have been an upgrade.

Hughton also looks like he’s a better manager than I thought he was so I can’t really blame others for making the same mistake if they underestimated him, I can blame them for the timing of his sacking.