Alan Pardew

Dave

Sewpafan says relax.

Aye, good stuff.

I'm sure that I'm not the only one to have posted that the mood between supporters they know personally is in stark contrast to this place, Twitter and others. If you know differently, I'm happy to be proved wrong.

I've not heard one person at the match, or in social interactions, say that they want Pardew out now.

What makes you think I was talking about you? :laugh:

It's tosh. Plenty people on here go to games and are deeply upset with Pardew. Just because you haven't met any of them, it doesn't mean they don't exist or they're not "regular fans". You've just chosen to extrapolate a sweeping generalisation based on a very small sample (ie. your social circle) of the 50,000odd faithful. And I do think you've actively said that to denigrate the credibility of opposing viewpoints to yours rather than actually having a reasoned debate where you can scrutinise differences of opinion (funnily enough).

FWIW I don't want Pardew out now. I want him out after this tough run in December*

* - with the proviso we have someone lined up who is actually an upgrade, this time.

The fact you posted it after one of my posts? I don't know, guess it was a hunch.

I wasn't making a point about the validity of one set of opinions versus the other. Nor did I claim that there would be no dissenting voices amongst the matchday support. In fact, my original post was in response to TT insinuating that people's opinions would be swayed by an increase in negative media coverage, which is somewhat unrelated to your subsequent rant.

My point was that there's a vast difference in 'mood', at the minute, between those I see socially, crowds at home and away games and those online. I'm not the only to have mentioned this. In fact, as recently as last night, a couple of 'our own' posted about the positive support amongst the away crowd. I don't understand why this happens, and can only speculate that it's down to some not wanting to air their 'controversial' views in front of their family and peers. Preferring instead to do it from behind the social safety of a screen and keyboard.

Still, sewpafan, reasoned debate, etc. lololololol

That's quite the backpedal you have there.

Nah, I don't think my family and friends are that swayed by the media. That's based off knowing them, and going to matches with them, for the last ~20 years. I just think there's a lot less knee-jerking going on amongst your 'regular' fans. The internet (Twitter, forums etc) gives people a platform to behave in this way and face little actual scrutiny.

Seems to be a rather unmistakable implication from this quote of one being better - which isn't quite congruous with the question of matchday mood (which, btw is at best only partially associated with the satisfaction of the match/club/management itself- and more with the day, friends, booze) you've now brought into the equation. Seems a sewpafan-based differentiation rather than a mood-one.

Anyway, under the revised edition of your stance you now either:

- think that one type of fan is more fickle than the other/susceptible to change based on media coverage? [which you now deny]

Or

- you think that your "regular" supporters are equally as fickle/unfickle, but suffer from en masse repression and social anxiety which prevents them from airing grievances specifically in relation to footballing matters - so they wait until they find the nearest keyboard before letting the world know how they really feel?

But we're all the same.

BUT happily and by complete coincidence, those who are displeased on the forum are more likely to be fickle, whereas those at matches who are also are optimistic about Pardew in the face of the oncoming media shitstorm against Pardew are not.

Ook.

You're less inclined to be a misery guts at the match because you're at the match, you usually have a few beers in you with the promise of more to follow, you're with friends and you want to sing a song...  The only reason you won't hear someone droning on about Pardew being an incompetent manager at a match is because they have the matchday experience to offset the inevitably dour performance, but media coverage on footballing matters will impact on them the same as any fan present or not.

What about the results from the Chronicle survey then, 5% wanted Pardew to go.

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/nechronical/dec2012/4/9/are-you-happy-with-alan-pardew-892025900.jpg

Nearly 20% are very happy? :lol:

Alright, forget this equality of fan shit - I judge those 20% :lol: :lol:

I don't think either set of opinion is more valid either, but there's no doubt that this forum is much more negative than the outside world. It's understandable I suppose, you generally need quite strong feelings to bother posting about them on the internet.

It may very well be, but I'm not so sure.

It's not like posters sign up when angry or elated post then disappear. Many posters stay for years going through the gamut of good, bad and the mediocre - so the views aren't necessarily polarised. Especially since many posters used to come here for articles or news, not just forum boards.

Edit: Having said that, I do remember the board slaughtering our team when we lost 6-2 at home to Man Utd. I think the main point of discontent was our central midfield (Jenas and Dyer, that day was it?) against Keane and Scholes :lol: :lol: I found that surreal.

I think one of the most annoying things about us is the way we attack, every game we barely create anything unless it's a moment of brilliance from one of our better players yet constantly other teams (pretty much every team we play) carve us open and play dangerous balls into our box. We may survive this season under Pardew, but if we want to improve as a team we need a better manager (anyone who can get us playing decent football tbf).

This is my biggest annoyance. Every team in the league attacks better as a team than we do and yet we have some better players than a lot of these teams.

I think one of the most annoying things about us is the way we attack, every game we barely create anything unless it's a moment of brilliance from one of our better players yet constantly other teams (pretty much every team we play) carve us open and play dangerous balls into our box. We may survive this season under Pardew, but if we want to improve as a team we need a better manager (anyone who can get us playing decent football tbf).

This is my biggest annoyance. Every team in the league attacks better as a team than we do and yet we have some better players than a lot of these teams.

It always seems that we have to work our arses off just to create one chance, where it seems to flow so much more naturally for our opposition.

We've got no fluidity whatsoever in our play. It's so disjointed.

I think it’s quite an interesting point about what the general public think and what the “internet” public think (although the distinction between the two is becoming less and less).

I don’t think it’s that different a distinction from any other form of entertainment in that there are some people who just enjoy something for what it is and others who enjoy studying it, discussing it, dissecting it and those types of people are more likely to feel more strongly, whatever their opinion may be, than the people in the first category. Newcastle fans vs Newcastle fanboys, if you like.

They are also coming from a more informed viewpoint though too, the same as anyone will who pays more attention than the average. Not only are they more likely to watch other football but they’re also the ones paying attention to quotes from the players, coaches, managers, the ones looking at post match statistics. It’s not right to say “the internet nerds want Pardew out, thank God for us norms” any more than it’s right to say “some idiot with a degree in film told me to watch Pan’s Labyrinth, what a geek, I’m off to see Transformers instead”

I’ve got a mate who’s a clever bloke with a season ticket but couldn’t tell you what team we put out last night, couldn’t tell you who Abeid is, or Campbell, or Good. There’s tons of blokes like that at the matches and even more women and kids, so to say they’re the ones whose opinion we should trust more is clearly a flawed point of view.

People seem to forget that plenty “internet types” backed Pardew and continue consistently to back Ashley – I know because I’ve spent so much time arguing against them. I think if a serious majority of the more informed people online are turning against the manager, the more passive minority won’t be far behind because in my experience, that’s always the way it goes. It was the same with Souness back in the mists of time and barring a Christmas miracle, Pardew won’t have much time left with the man in the street.

It always seems that we have to work our arses off just to create one chance, where it seems to flow so much more naturally for our opposition.

Very little link play. ie no real link forward. (No Michu or Dempsey or the like). Ball flying over the midfield etc...Berbatov did the job for them yesterday linking the def with the attack. The closest we have is Hatem but our

forwards just run like lemmings straight into the center of the box and are easily covered. Not a brain cell between em.

Hatem does his best but spends that much time defending he'll be our new left back soon.

I think it’s quite an interesting point about what the general public think and what the “internet” public think (although the distinction between the two is becoming less and less).

I don’t think it’s that different a distinction from any other form of entertainment in that there are some people who just enjoy something for what it is and others who enjoy studying it, discussing it, dissecting it and those types of people are more likely to feel more strongly, whatever their opinion may be, than the people in the first category. Newcastle fans vs Newcastle fanboys, if you like.

They are also coming from a more informed viewpoint though too, the same as anyone will who pays more attention than the average. Not only are they more likely to watch other football but they’re also the ones paying attention to quotes from the players, coaches, managers, the ones looking at post match statistics. It’s not right to say “the internet nerds want Pardew out, thank God for us norms” any more than it’s right to say “some idiot with a degree in film told me to watch Pan’s Labyrinth, what a geek, I’m off to see Transformers instead”

I’ve got a mate who’s a clever bloke with a season ticket but couldn’t tell you what team we put out last night, couldn’t tell you who Abeid is, or Campbell, or Good. There’s tons of blokes like that at the matches and even more women and kids, so to say they’re the ones whose opinion we should trust more is clearly a flawed point of view.

People seem to forget that plenty “internet types” backed Pardew and continue consistently to back Ashley – I know because I’ve spent so much time arguing against them. I think if a serious majority of the more informed people online are turning against the manager, the more passive minority won’t be far behind because in my experience, that’s always the way it goes. It was the same with Souness back in the mists of time and barring a Christmas miracle, Pardew won’t have much time left with the man in the street.

Nail on the head.

Guest icemanblue

Sewpafan says relax.

Aye, good stuff.

I'm sure that I'm not the only one to have posted that the mood between supporters they know personally is in stark contrast to this place, Twitter and others. If you know differently, I'm happy to be proved wrong.

I've not heard one person at the match, or in social interactions, say that they want Pardew out now.

What makes you think I was talking about you? :laugh:

It's tosh. Plenty people on here go to games and are deeply upset with Pardew. Just because you haven't met any of them, it doesn't mean they don't exist or they're not "regular fans". You've just chosen to extrapolate a sweeping generalisation based on a very small sample (ie. your social circle) of the 50,000odd faithful. And I do think you've actively said that to denigrate the credibility of opposing viewpoints to yours rather than actually having a reasoned debate where you can scrutinise differences of opinion (funnily enough).

FWIW I don't want Pardew out now. I want him out after this tough run in December*

* - with the proviso we have someone lined up who is actually an upgrade, this time.

The fact you posted it after one of my posts? I don't know, guess it was a hunch.

I wasn't making a point about the validity of one set of opinions versus the other. Nor did I claim that there would be no dissenting voices amongst the matchday support. In fact, my original post was in response to TT insinuating that people's opinions would be swayed by an increase in negative media coverage, which is somewhat unrelated to your subsequent rant.

My point was that there's a vast difference in 'mood', at the minute, between those I see socially, crowds at home and away games and those online. I'm not the only to have mentioned this. In fact, as recently as last night, a couple of 'our own' posted about the positive support amongst the away crowd. I don't understand why this happens, and can only speculate that it's down to some not wanting to air their 'controversial' views in front of their family and peers. Preferring instead to do it from behind the social safety of a screen and keyboard.

Still, sewpafan, reasoned debate, etc. lololololol

That's quite the backpedal you have there.

Nah, I don't think my family and friends are that swayed by the media. That's based off knowing them, and going to matches with them, for the last ~20 years. I just think there's a lot less knee-jerking going on amongst your 'regular' fans. The internet (Twitter, forums etc) gives people a platform to behave in this way and face little actual scrutiny.

Seems to be a rather unmistakable implication from this quote of one being better - which isn't quite congruous with the question of matchday mood (which, btw is at best only partially associated with the satisfaction of the match/club/management itself- and more with the day, friends, booze) you've now brought into the equation. Seems a sewpafan-based differentiation rather than a mood-one.

Anyway, under the revised edition of your stance you now either:

- think that one type of fan is more fickle than the other/susceptible to change based on media coverage? [which you now deny]

Or

- you think that your "regular" supporters are equally as fickle/unfickle, but suffer from en masse repression and social anxiety which prevents them from airing grievances specifically in relation to footballing matters - so they wait until they find the nearest keyboard before letting the world know how they really feel?

But we're all the same.

BUT happily and by complete coincidence, those who are displeased on the forum are more likely to be fickle, whereas those at matches who are also are optimistic about Pardew in the face of the oncoming media shitstorm against Pardew are not.

Ook.

You're less inclined to be a misery guts at the match because you're at the match, you usually have a few beers in you with the promise of more to follow, you're with friends and you want to sing a song...  The only reason you won't hear someone droning on about Pardew being an incompetent manager at a match is because they have the matchday experience to offset the inevitably dour performance, but media coverage on footballing matters will impact on them the same as any fan present or not.

Where’s the backpedal? Everything you’ve highlighted is how you’ve (purposefully) perceived it, not what my words actually say. In fact, you’re so confident in how it is to be perceived, you’ve prefixed your statements with ‘seems’. The part I’ve highlighted in italics is absolute shite, as well, by the way. :lol:

It all starts to go a little bit batshit after that, sorry. Some kind of confused mess, where you have a back and forth with yourself and I end up losing the will to read on. Quite how you’ve managed to surmise so many scenarios from a couple of sentences, I’m not sure.

Then, the final paragraph. More romanticised shite, I’m afraid. ‘Matchday experience’, man, come on. :lol:

You seem to still be confused with what I was trying to say. So, I’ll try to make it clear and succinct. I believe that there seems to be a stark contrast in moods between the general everyday fans and on here, on Twitter etc. I pointed out that I’m not the only one to have noticed this. I wondered, but didn’t say for certain, if this was down to people being more willing to air ‘controversial’ views when not under the scrutiny of their social peers. I hadn’t, and still haven’t, come to a conclusion either way.

Anyway, Wullie seems to have got what I was saying, so there's hope.

Very little link play. ie no real link forward. (No Michu or Dempsey or the like). Ball flying over the midfield etc...Berbatov did the job for them yesterday linking the def with the attack. The closest we have is Hatem but our

forwards just run like lemmings straight into the center of the box and are easily covered. Not a brain cell between em.

Hatem does his best but spends that much time defending he'll be our new left back soon.

I think either one would benefit from playing as a lone striker with someone like Hatem much further up the pitch than he is now. Good full backs and wide men who can cross would help too.

:thup:

There's discontent in the stands already. Once they attribute the poor play/results to the manager, the 'general view' will be that Pardew needs to go IMO.

In my experience the 'man in the street' will accept just about anything as long as it's packaged right. And that funnily enough is Pardews role: Packaging and managing expectations. That's why he seems to talk all the time about everything and things that at first glance seem unconnected. He is pushing the message 'we can't compete', we have injuries'...Mashley has done well keeping the squad together'. He ain't doing it for the sake of it, it's a big part of his role.

In society in general 9.9 times out of ten change will come top down.

As for internet geeks, many became millionaires and otherss changed the way we see the world.

Good post Wullie. I don't think it quite follows that the more educated opinion on Pardew is bound to be negative, but you're right that the average person who posts online is bound to have thought about the game more.

This reminded me. I'm sure I saw Ethi just post:

"what"

in the middle of a swathe of posts celebrating HBA's goal in the match thread yesterday :lol: :lol: Cracked me up. :blush:

Hatem's problem is that once he has the ball he's either too deep, got too many defenders around him or the options are few and far between (i.e. forwards running offside/behind a defender).

We've got no real link players at all. It's get the ball to the wingers to aimlessly float a cross at forwards who don't dominate in the air, or have the defenders knock it up so the attackers are facing their own goal.

I think either one would benefit from playing as a lone striker with someone like Hatem much further up the pitch than he is now. Good full backs and wide men who can cross would help too.

Think me a you and others have been asking for that for about a year now. ;)

In my experience the 'man in the street' will accept just about anything as long as it's packaged right. And that funnily enough is Pardews role: Packaging and managing expectations. That's why he seems to talk all the time about everything and things that at first glance seem unconnected. He is pushing the message 'we can't compete', we have injuries'...Mashley has done well keeping the squad together'. He ain't doing it for the sake of it, it's a big part of his role.

In society in general 9.9 times out of ten change will come top down.

As for internet geeks, many became millionaires and otherss changed the way we see the world.

:lol:

What a link.

Guest icemanblue

:thup:

There's discontent in the stands already. Once they attribute the poor play/results to the manager, the 'general view' will be that Pardew needs to go IMO.

That is a good post from Wullie, like. JH, you're right that there is discontent in the stands, but I think that it's not being directed at Pardew because he has bought himself time. I wonder if, because of how analytical fans have become, the mentality of fans overall is changing. I'm just not sure if it's a good or bad thing.

Guest icemanblue

Anyway, Wullie seems to have got what I was saying, so there's hope.

What Wullie said didn't sound anything like what you posted but if you say so :lol:

Well, no, it wasn't. It's obviously an opposing point of view. :lol:

Hatem's problem is that once he has the ball he's either too deep, got too many defenders around him or the options are few and far between (i.e. forwards running offside/behind a defender).

We've got no real link players at all. It's get the ball to the wingers to aimlessly float a cross at forwards who don't dominate in the air, or have the defenders knock it up so the attackers are facing their own goal.

Would happily dump one of our strikers for a good withdrawn/link forward, someone who gives Hatem the option. In all honesty our forwards should be drilled into where to go when Hatem gets the ball...:lol: Most of the time they just run full pelt at the opp goal or are in such a place god couldn't find them. Anyway Pards reckons all that stuff isn't really important.

nb Did enjoy that set play when Collo pretended to be inj and then ran into the box late and nearly scored.  O0