Alan Pardew

Dave

Guest tollemache

I wish transfers were as easy to complete as some people on here think they are.

On deadline day they appear to be. Why is any other day any different?

QPR managed to start and finish the Remy deal in the space of about 24 hours didn't they?

QPR didn't do the deal in 24 hours...

It doesn't matter -  WUllie's point is correct.

They got the player and relatively quickly too after he heard their terms.....we used to do deals quickly when SJH and KK were running the club and quietly too in most cases.

The current board are all talk and no action...as for Pardew, he's just a puppet in transfer dealings.

They totally hijacked our deal and offered ridiculous terms. We don't want to be doing that. The fact we got him to the negotiating table shows we're not all talk and no action

Guest tollemache

I wish transfers were as easy to complete as some people on here think they are.

QPR managed to start and finish the Remy deal in the space of about 24 hours didn't they?

Deadline day isn't just different, it's unique. You've got a month's worth, and probably more, of negotiations between loads of clubs all coming to a head in one day

Took us 8 or 9 days to prepare a bid. Why so long? Why is every other club quicker than us?

Strange lot our lot, you'd think we didn't need players the way they go on.

i dunno like, it's the job of the club to see the bigger picture and if by not panicking they can save 1m or 2m on a fee then i think they're right to do so....how do we know the 8 or 9 days weren't spent with us find out how much would be an acceptable bid and not going in with an over the top offer

besides with remy, if we'd agreed a fee on 1st january i can't see how that would have stopped redknapp coming in and gazumping it anyways

the problem as always with mike and dekka is they may see the big picture but they choose to ignore massive parts of it

and anyways, as has been said, if pardew can't get a result without remy vs. reading he deserves sacking and if we stick with him we'll probably go down regardless imo...we play 2 of the worst teams in the league in the next 2 games and we should be able to take 6 points...important thing for me is having the right people in place for villa or the game after

The bigger picture is staring us in the face and it's relegation and the club's entire future. 1 or 2m saved really is by the by, those in charge have a responsibility to protect their investment but I feel they are always up for a gamble on minimal resources. They've shown that in the past with wildly mixed results - a 5th placed finish and a relegation already on their CVs. I think they thought we would breeze to a top half finish but they are paying the price for complacency last summer added to some pretty bad luck this campaign.

Pardew is generally just telling it like it is, he doesn't have enough Premier League players at his disposal to cover for injuries and even when everybody is fit our bench still looks poor. He has no choice but to pressure the board through the media, the irony is he knows they are ruthless and won't like that but he also knows without reinforcements we are doomed. I don't think many top managers would want that post.

Our problems are snowballing and in my view all stem back to the failed summer transfer window. Unless action is taken this month by the board to stop the rot, I can see a relegation battle right into May and several key players walking out in the summer. Even if we survive the drop, it'll be a long way back. We've got top players on our books who would be very difficult and costly to replace. A strong finish to the season would do us a world of good but if the board think saving 1 or 2m is the priority right now then we are in big trouble - again. They have backed their manager with a big contract, it is now time to back him properly and give him a fighting chance.

They got the player and relatively quickly too after he heard their terms.....we used to do deals quickly when SJH and KK were running the club and quietly too in most cases.

The current board are all talk and no action...as for Pardew, he's just a puppet in transfer dealings.

They totally hijacked our deal and offered ridiculous terms. We don't want to be doing that. The fact we got him to the negotiating table shows we're not all talk and no action

To further Merlin's point (ie. relating to the days when Fletcher & KK were the dealmakers - even FFS - and our efficiency at closing deals quickly). It must be a shame that we snuck in for Lee then, and where quick to the punch. KK wanted to reinvent Lee as a central midfielder (RW in his junior days) and saw a cracking b-to-b midfielder in there. We offered good terms, and KK sold to him an ambitious vision (ie. club ambition & potential, and a football vision) ie. the consumate salesman. And Fletcher & SJH backed their manager. Keegan built a midfield around him. Under Shepherd we even beat Barca to the punch with Robert, another influential footballer.

Fair play to QPR - if it comes off. They are at a point where they have to gamble & roll the dice, in this instance destabilising the January reinforcement plans of a potential rival in relegation fight. If they add M'Villa too, who would add defensive hardness to what is a soft spine (whether it be in midfield, or at the heart of their defense), and we're left coming up short (over penny pinching) in our pursuit of alternative targets - then we're in trouble. A potential multi-point turnaround is at stake in this window, Redknapp is a good enough coach to extract the sort of productivity needed (from the new arrivals) to lift them out of the s***, and Remy & ?M'Villa? i would classify as impact players.

Guest tollemache

We did pretty well with the signings of Cabaye, Santon, Cisse and Ba, didn't we? All players a lot of clubs would love to have beaten us to... I don't think we can really say that we're sluggish and ineffective in the transfer market now in a way we weren't before.

I think you'll find just negotiating without signing someone is precisely all talk and no action.

Fair play to QPR - if it comes off. They are at a point where they have to gamble & roll the dice

I would argue that what QPR are doing is the opposite of fair play - their wage bill is already double their turnover, an option most clubs just don't have.

Plus, the actions they're taking now could potentially destroy the club completely if the rich benefactor decides to walk away, not a position I would like to be in.

We did pretty well with the signings of Cabaye, Santon, Cisse and Ba, didn't we? All players a lot of clubs would love to have beaten us to... I don't think we can really say that we're sluggish and ineffective in the transfer market now in a way we weren't before.

We have done well with those transfers but the squad is woefully illequipped to deal with a full premier league season and a european campaign in terms of numbers and quality. The whole Dekka "purples" comments about top squad members just showed how utterly clueless Llambias is in terms of understanding football. Fair enough a starting eleven might look excellent but there's things called injuries (which we got away with last season bar Taylor) and creating competition for places within the squad. They (the board) clearly fail to factor in those fairly obvious crucial factors when they sit down whenever it is to talk about building the side.

I guess we'll see in a few weeks won't we but the folly is that I wouldn't be surprised if this board would rather save 10m now (striker and CB) and risk premier league survival in turn costing them fortunes and risking the clubs entire future.

The bigger picture is staring us in the face and it's relegation and the club's entire future. 1 or 2m saved really is by the by, those in charge have a responsibility to protect their investment but I feel they are always up for a gamble on minimal resources. They've shown that in the past with wildly mixed results - a 5th placed finish and a relegation already on their CVs. I think they thought we would breeze to a top half finish but they are paying the price for complacency last summer added to some pretty bad luck this campaign.

Pardew is generally just telling it like it is, he doesn't have enough Premier League players at his disposal to cover for injuries and even when everybody is fit our bench still looks poor. He has no choice but to pressure the board through the media, the irony is he knows they are ruthless and won't like that but he also knows without reinforcements we are doomed. I don't think many top managers would want that post.

Our problems are snowballing and in my view all stem back to the failed summer transfer window. Unless action is taken this month by the board to stop the rot, I can see a relegation battle right into May and several key players walking out in the summer. Even if we survive the drop, it'll be a long way back. We've got top players on our books who would be very difficult and costly to replace. A strong finish to the season would do us a world of good but if the board think saving 1 or 2m is the priority right now then we are in big trouble - again. They have backed their manager with a big contract, it is now time to back him properly and give him a fighting chance.

Well said

1The bigger picture is staring us in the face and it's relegation and the club's entire future. 1 or 2m saved really is by the by, those in charge have a responsibility to protect their investment but I feel they are always up for a gamble on minimal resources. They've shown that in the past with wildly mixed results - a 5th placed finish and a relegation already on their CVs. I think they thought we would breeze to a top half finish but they are paying the price for complacency last summer added to some pretty bad luck this campaign.

2Pardew is generally just telling it like it is, he doesn't have enough Premier League players at his disposal to cover for injuries and even when everybody is fit our bench still looks poor. He has no choice but to pressure the board through the media, the irony is he knows they are ruthless and won't like that but he also knows without reinforcements we are doomed. I don't think many top managers would want that post.

3Our problems are snowballing and in my view all stem back to the failed summer transfer window. Unless action is taken this month by the board to stop the rot, I can see a relegation battle right into May and several key players walking out in the summer. Even if we survive the drop, it'll be a long way back. We've got top players on our books who would be very difficult and costly to replace. A strong finish to the season would do us a world of good but if the board think saving 1 or 2m is the priority right now then we are in big trouble - again. They have backed their manager with a big contract, it is now time to back him properly and give him a fighting chance.

can't accept this in it's entirety:

1. i was talking about saving 1-2m by taking the time to research and prepare a proper bid...and as i said another 2m wouldn't have stopped QPR anyway, unless you're advocating us starting to pay crazy wages again which i sincerely hope you're not

2. when he had enough PL players at his disposal he fucked it up

3. yeah they're snowballing, but that's largely due to #2 imo...the injuries and exposed squad depth came after he ruined the beginning of the season...had we been playing well at all when the injuries bit more than likely momentum would have seen us pick up more points than we have instead of him making good players play a shite system then trying to integrate younger/weaker players into a failing system when the injuries bit

football management 101 man, pardew is gash

They never looked fit to me at the start of the season anyway. Have to wonder what the pre-season was designed for. There is a greater risk of inj if players aren't tuned up and peak at the right times.

The first team is now still short 3 players and has been since last summer. I mean first team players not 20yr olds from Norway and Finland. ;)

this is what i'm tired of, we know the first team is short and we've know it since summer yes, however a good football manager can and should succeed in spite of things like...between august and mid-january you would expect to see some signs of improvement somewhere but we're seeing none

we open up we get outscored, we close a game down best we can do is 0-0, and in this period pardew hasn't managed to find a formula to break teams down at home despite all of the attacking talent he's had at his disposal...without ba & HBA winning games on their own he's been exposed

just can't accept this constant whining about not having enough players, he's been dealt a better hand than many managers in this league and has done a lot worse with it

agree with the fitness thing, especially cabaye, looked fucked from the first kick off

It's in no way correct.  It is perfectly clear to everyone why Remy went to QPR and how it happened quickly.  Even then, it wasn't that quick.

In relation to why transfers take place so late in the day - again this is pretty obvious.  Unless the selling club actually wants to sell the player, it is 100% in their interest to delay the transfer and take as long over it as possible in order to possibly keep the player or extract more money.  The January window is a seller's market.

They never looked fit to me at the start of the season anyway. Have to wonder what the pre-season was designed for. There is a greater risk of inj if players aren't tuned up and peak at the right times.

The first team is now still short 3 players and has been since last summer. I mean first team players not 20yr olds from Norway and Finland. ;)

Pre-season was weird.  We seem to give a lot of playing time to the fringe players to get them up to speed for the Europa League but neglected the first team who seemed to just get a few minutes here or there.

Pre-season was weird.  We seem to give a lot of playing time to the fringe players to get them up to speed for the Europa League but neglected the first team who seemed to just get a few minutes here or there.

who can we blame for that who isn't pardew then i wonder?

I'm guessing the idea with that is that the 1st teamers don't burn out around March.

It's in no way correct.  It is perfectly clear to everyone why Remy went to QPR and how it happened quickly.  Even then, it wasn't that quick.

In relation to why transfers take place so late in the day - again this is pretty obvious.  Unless the selling club actually wants to sell the player, it is 100% in their interest to delay the transfer and take as long over it as possible in order to possibly keep the player or extract more money.  The January window is a seller's market.

Maybe we should have done more in the summer then.

Maybe we should have done more in the summer then.

Yep - don't disagree with you there.  Obviously the point still remains that you have to find a club that is willing to sell first and agree a valuation.  Which seems easier said than done under our blueprint.

If they  weren't so inefficient at both running a SUCCESSFUL PL club and managing one, we wouldn't have to be buying in a 'sellers market'.

It is painfully obvious we will never approach anything like an agreement on this subject - suffice be it to say that Alan Shearer holds the same view as I do.....

What pisses me off about this apparent discontent stuff is that a team that works hard all season and nearly gets you in the champions is rested and those same players must be thinking hang on is that what i joined for to play in Europe and try to win things and the  same goes for domestic competitions too.The youngsters just did enough to qualify in a poor group and due to our domestic position looks like this will be sacrificied for survival makes my blood boil tbh and shows no ambition or direction .