Alan Pardew

Dave

But, but, we're not meant to pay any attention to what Pardew says!

The importance placed on every little quote is absolutely insane. It's bordering on obsession.

So he might have said '3 or 4', now he says '1 or 2', it's not like his answers to every single question actually affect NUFC transfer policy.

Everyone needs to grow up.

It's more a deep concern that we cannot seem to get bodies through the door, we need players in the right areas not a random left back or attacking midfielder we need players up front and in centre defence, and it needs to be players that can shore us up rather than be world beaters at this point

I share that concern. Not to the same extent as some people, but I share it. My problem is with the crazy analysis of every word Pardew says, and the idea that it's part of some PR strategy to brainwash unsuspecting fans.

2 players (a striker and a centre half) would be sufficient.

For this window, yeah surly. But in the long run it´s not good enough the way we are handling things

Surely the long-run is much better, because we've already proved that long-term we can sign quality players? The main question is whether we can get the right ones this month.

Wouldn't shock me at all if we wait 'til the outcome of the next 2 games before deciding on whether to bring anyone else significant (£4m+) in.

What would be the motivation for that? Only sign the players if we lose you mean?

Would be a weird conclusion considering we nearly spent £8m this week already.

For this window, yeah surly. But in the long run it´s not good enough the way we are handling things

Surely the long-run is much better, because we've already proved that long-term we can sign quality players? The main question is whether we can get the right ones this month.

I generally applaud our reluctance to buy players who aren't the best quality we can find within our constraints. But that policy is going to come back and bite us on the arse this time with relegation looming. Either we need to dig deep and pay more for the best or we have to go for good enough to do the job. No messing or pondering at this stage.

Guest Roger Kint

So you are hammering him for our summer spending in 5 months now? :lol:

I generally applaud our reluctance to buy players who aren't the best quality we can find within our constraints. But that policy is going to come back and bite us on the arse this time with relegation looming. Either we need to dig deep and pay more for the best or we have to go for good enough to do the job. No messing or pondering at this stage.

Short term I think you're right, longer term I think our existing way of operating is pretty good.

After what has happened this week, if the first thing we know about any deals is when they're holding up a black and white shirt and declaring their undying love for Newcastle United on the back page of the Journal, I for one will be quite happy.

My problem is with the crazy analysis of every word Pardew says, and the idea that it's part of some PR strategy to brainwash unsuspecting fans.

This blatantly happens to a certain extent btw. It's incredibly naive to think he's not being fed lines occasionally.

My problem is with the crazy analysis of every word Pardew says, and the idea that it's part of some PR strategy to brainwash unsuspecting fans.

This blatantly happens to a certain extent btw. It's incredibly naive to think he's not being fed lines occasionally.

I don't think it happens beyond a general desire to keep the fans happy and not create scandals. Obviously I don't know, but I would be extremely surprised if there's much planning behind it.

From "3 to 4" to "one or 2" in two weeks :lol:.. :undecided:

We've already signed one, so technically 2 more would make 3.

It was 3-4 after Debuchy had signed.

No. He's always said they were after a 1 - 2 and has not changed his stance in the slightest.

The 3-4 quote was regarding avenues that were hotting up. Contrary to popular belief, we don't just throw all our efforts into exactly the number of targets we hope to bring in, there are always contingencies and ongoing discussions regarding a number of players.

Wouldn't shock me at all if we wait 'til the outcome of the next 2 games before deciding on whether to bring anyone else significant (£4m+) in.

What would be the motivation for that? Only sign the players if we lose you mean?

Would be a weird conclusion considering we nearly spent £8m this week already.

True but now we're not after the #1 target will we be as prepared I don't know, just thinking aloud.

Contingencies that we conveniently decide not to go for time after time. :lol:

What's your view on our approach to transfers Dave? Do you think Carr only identifies one player for every position we need? Or do you think we want to buy our first choice but don't want to buy anyone else if we miss out?

I don't think it happens beyond a general desire to keep the fans happy and not create scandals. Obviously I don't know, but I would be extremely surprised if there's much planning behind it.

The needless downplaying of our finances and the desperate touting of our players is certainly something that comes from the boardroom and is agenda driven.

All this stuff should start kicking in again after the Reading game :drool:

What's your view on our approach to transfers Dave? Do you think Carr only identifies one player for every position we need? Or do you think we want to buy our first choice but don't want to buy anyone else if we miss out?

Well the evidence of the summer seems to match the latter. Do you think we'll get a striker of the calibre of Remy in the next fortnight? By all accounts we've been assessing him for months. I don't blame them for him going to QPR for more money, but if there's an option B I would imagine it's a low-risk £3m player; probably one that is in dispute with his club.

I think it's one of them where for target 1 or maybe even 2 we'll pay an almost going rate for them, targets 3+ etc we'll most likely wait until there is a contract issue we can take advantage of. This is for 'purples' only though. Youth wise I don't think we're as fussy as there is less of a risk at stake. Obviously this is based on fuck all and I'll add disclaimer I don't think we should turn into Pompey/Leeds and pay everyone everything.

Well the evidence of the summer seems to match the latter. Do you think we'll get a striker of the calibre of Remy in the next fortnight? By all accounts we've been assessing him for months. I don't blame them for him going to QPR for more money, but if there's an option B I would imagine it's a low-risk £3m player; probably one that is in dispute with his club.

I dunno, you might be right I suppose. It just seems odd to try and buy a player at all if the club thinks we can get by without one. I mean, why bid for Remy if they don't think we need a striker? And if they do think we need a striker, surely they would look at more than one. Obviously possible that everyone involved is totally incompetent.

I dunno, you might be right I suppose. It just seems odd to try and buy a player at all if the club thinks we can get by without one. I mean, why bid for Remy if they don't think we need a striker? And if they do think we need a striker, surely they would look at more than one. Obviously possible that everyone involved is totally incompetent.

I'd suggest that there are a very small number of quality players that fit into our budget, so when a deal falls through it's not easy finding an alternative without diluting the quality of the signing quite a bit.