Alan Pardew

Dave

What happens when the new manager has a bad half a season?

I understand where you're coming from but at this point we have to ask ourselves if it is better to persist with something that is clearly not working or take a gamble and go for somebody different with a proven track record. I take nothing away from Pardew's achievements from last season, the results were above any realistic expectations for our squad, and it has earned him some leeway now things are not going so well, especially considering the extenuating circumstances of injuries, suspensions, lack of investment etcetra, but the signs are there that he is not the man who can turn this thing around. Important players are leaving the club or making comments they may consider doing so unless we show more ambition, we are not anywhere near as defensively solid as we were last year (the foundation of our success last season) and Pardew's public statements are becoming increasingly critical of his players and his employers. In short, he appears to be losing grip, and being where we are in the table we have to ask ourselves if we can take the risk on him turning things around if it means we may well go down if he can't.

It hasn't earned him much leeway if everyone wants him sacked.

I know what you mean in general though, if there was a brilliant manager ready to come in and head up a multi-year project I would go for it as well probably.

It has earned him leeway in that we wouldn't be having this debate if we were safely, if unspectacularly midtable. We overachieved last season no doubt about it, and despite his very own public claims of challenging for top 4, I think most people on here would have been content with an up and down season in terms of results as long as there was some decent football on offer and a good vive about the club/players. At the moment, we are facing the prospect of being dragged into a relegation battle if we don't turn things around sharpishly. I don't think this is a risk worth taking, considering actual relegation could well spell disaster for the long term future of the club.

rumours that Nigel Adkins is going to be replaced at Southampton. I think he would be a good manager for us. (And fits the criteria that Ashley normally wants as well)

Yeah, can imagine  Southampton reject given lots of time by our support. :lol:

It's mental at times. I guy who has just been sacked for not meeting the expectations of Southampton FFS. I know we're all depressed at the minute, but come on.

I understand where you're coming from but at this point we have to ask ourselves if it is better to persist with something that is clearly not working or take a gamble and go for somebody different with a proven track record. I take nothing away from Pardew's achievements from last season, the results were above any realistic expectations for our squad, and it has earned him some leeway now things are not going so well, especially considering the extenuating circumstances of injuries, suspensions, lack of investment etcetra, but the signs are there that he is not the man who can turn this thing around. Important players are leaving the club or making comments they may consider doing so unless we show more ambition, we are not anywhere near as defensively solid as we were last year (the foundation of our success last season) and Pardew's public statements are becoming increasingly critical of his players and his employers. In short, he appears to be losing grip, and being where we are in the table we have to ask ourselves if we can take the risk on him turning things around if it means we may well go down if he can't.

I know what you mean in general though, if there was a brilliant manager ready to come in and head up a multi-year project I would go for it as well probably.

It has earned him leeway in that we wouldn't be having this debate if we were safely, if unspectacularly midtable. We overachieved last season no doubt about it, and despite his very own public claims of challenging for top 4, I think most people on here would have been content with an up and down season in terms of results as long as there was some decent football on offer and a good vive about the club/players. At the moment, we are facing the prospect of being dragged into a relegation battle if we don't turn things around sharpishly. I don't think this is a risk worth taking, considering actual relegation could well spell disaster for the long term future of the club.

Well OK, but he wouldn't really need leeway if we weren't doing badly. And when we are his leeway doesn't apply.

Your view on whether he'll turn it around or not is fair enough obviously.

rumours that Nigel Adkins is going to be replaced at Southampton. I think he would be a good manager for us. (And fits the criteria that Ashley normally wants as well)

Like Southampton reject Alan Pardew?

pardew left southampton for erm "other reasons"

Well OK, but he wouldn't really need leeway if we weren't doing badly. And when we are his leeway doesn't apply.

Well, for me "some leeway" doesn't go as far as sitting around apathically as we go down without a whisper, that's where I draw the line. :lol:

Well, for me "some leeway" doesn't go as far as sitting around apathically as we go down without a whisper, that's where I draw the line. :lol:

Well obviously not, I'm not suggesting that.

It's mental at times. I guy who has just been sacked for not meeting the expectations of Southampton FFS. I know we're all depressed at the minute, but come on.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2vru73k.jpg

Yeah, can imagine a Southampton reject given lots of time by our support. :lol:

Yeah.

http://drawception.com/pub/panels/2012/4-6/rLt36nGSxY-2.png

Guest malandro

Says he loves French players in the same article so if Ashley's wallet is prised open it looks like we will be shopping in Ligue 1 again.

France have won the WC ONCE - just like England...how have they performed in Int Competiton since 1998..?

They have SOME good players but as for making them the yardstick for footballers ? Don't buy it.

Think Germany, Argentina and Brazil for consistently top sides - look how Hamman and Podolski have done in their PL stints as well as many of the Argies who came here. Holland also produces good players but they are a small country so lose them quickly.

The reason there are not more Germans in the Pl is that the Bundesliga is a good league and they are pretty well paid too.

England could produce at least as many good players as France if they had a proper coaching set-up for kids and young players...the will simply isn't there in the country to do it.

France aren't the yardstick for good footballers but Ligue 1 is a great place to shop if you want good footballers for sensible money because the wages are so much lower.

...and that is all that matters to Ashley and Llambias.

Hardly, you can buy cheaper players for League of Ireland, or League 2, or any number of places.

We have obviously identified  France as the cheapest market for the goods we want. Nowt wrong with that but the club seem to think putting frog's legs on the menu at the training ground will be enough to convince France based players to come to SJP. Ultimately it's wages and success that attract players, not low cost gimmicks. Some of AP's comments about why French players should want to come to NUFC since Remy turned us down have been laughable.

would have more sympathy for pardew if he didnt come out with negative bollocks that he does.

he has used the injury situation to rewrite history. we were just as bad earlier this season with saylor, cabaye, and ben arfa in the side.

Everything he's saying in the press points to man accepting of defeat, consigned to relegation. These remarks are the tip of the iceberg, bigging up a relegation rival is one thing, but there's no way he should telling the press that we need new faces because our current 11 isn't good enough. True or not, that's very damaging to morale.

Has he actually had anything positive to say in recent days?

The change is quite noticeable - I remember when he first took over one of the things I liked best about him was he never complained about injuries - would say it was an opportunity for another player instead.

Get the impression this season is really grinding him down - the approach he knows isn't working any more and he's really struggling to adapt.

Good thing is that if he does get through this spell he should be a lot stronger/wiser for it, but the signs aren't too good right now.

The change is quite noticeable - I remember when he first took over one of the things I liked best about him was he never complained about injuries - would say it was an opportunity for another player instead.

Get the impression this season is really grinding him down - the approach he knows isn't working any more and he's really struggling to adapt.

Good thing is that if he does get through this spell he should be a lot stronger/wiser for it, but the signs aren't too good right now.

:thup:

Can't disagree with any of this.

Southampton who are above us with a dire squad and who gave us a footballing lesson when we played them? Ludicrous comment.

Southampton who are above us with a dire squad and who gave us a footballing lesson when we played them? Ludicrous comment.