Alan Pardew

Dave

Got it spot on these last two games.

maybe at home. Tonight we looked like things were under control. But we hardly created a chance....the penalty was a gift.

cisse on the right...deeper than sissoko. Shola for 90 mintues.....come on....you call that spot? i surely do not.

cisse offers nothing on the wing...he scored 2 in the first leg on top and pards puts him back on the wing.

Never seen such a dangerous striker being wasted so much.

Personally think he got lucky again tonight. We could have thrown away a certain victory had Krul not been between the sticks. It was a relief having Shola on the pitch when the ball was on the spot, however it came at the expense of another stinker from Cisse on the wing.

It's a good win though and Southampton is an absolutely colossal game. As irritating as the second half negativity was, that'sthree wins, one draw and a defeat since the January influx... you can't really argue with that.

He doesn't understand the dynamics of 4-2-3-1 which concerns me. Hopefully playing Ben Arfa and Gouffran on the wings will solve this issue, but the fact he deploys an attacking formation where ONE player contributes with anything resembling movement is really frightening.

His decision to leave Shola on and not bring on Obertan says it all. No intention of hitting them on the break.

Good defensive organisation tonight though.

Guest neesy111

We were clearly the better side tonight.

Why is he lucky when we win but never unlucky when we lose? :dontknow:

They had more shots on goal.  Yes we were better till we scored but they could had 2-3 if it wasn't for Krul after that.

I thought he was lucky tonight because he set us up to consume vast amounts of pressure once we'd scored. They hadn't looked remotely dangerous at any point over the two legs* until he made that tactical change.

*didn't see the first half tonight, but the consensus on here suggests we were never in any danger.

They had more shots on goal.  Yes we were better till we scored but they could had 2-3 if it wasn't for Krul after that.

They may have had more shots but who played better tonight? Or the game at home? We have been the better side both games so imo he deserves some plaudits even if he didn't do everything we wanted him to (like not starting Shola tonight).

Guest bimpy474

He got it right for me, the one worry was our lack of ability to keep the ball up top to take the pressure off.

Fair play to him over the two legs.

The only criticism I have over the two legs is that I think once we scored we went too negative too quickly. I know they needed to score twice but I just don't like to see it. Had they scored once with 10mins to go it would have been unbearable. Defending a lead rarely works, and even more rarely when the team trying it is called Newcastle United.

We got through with two strong sides picked though, so can't argue too much. :thup:

The only criticism I have over the two legs is that I think once we scored we went too negative too quickly. I know they needed to score twice but I just don't like to see it. Had they scored once with 10mins to go it would have been unbearable. Defending a lead rarely works, and even more rarely when the team trying it is called Newcastle United.

We got through with two strong sides picked though, so can't argue too much. :thup:

:thup:

I agree and we go on the defensive far too early far too often, it is also very ugly to watch and while I appreciate we are never going to look like a perfect carpet football side all the time we do tend to make the opposition look like Brazil with chance after chance after chance it makes us look like we are barely hanging on rather than keep to the game plan that got us the lead in the first place.

Sides like tonight possibly don't have the quality in the final 3rd to ultimately punish us but other teams will spank us and have done this season.

Guest Slippery Sam

Why pick Shola?

To hold the ball up? No, he never does that as his second touch is usually an attempted tackle.

To make intelligent runs? No, he always wears lead boots it seems.

To dribble and skin defenders? Erm, no.

To win lots of headers? I must miss most of them, if so.

So why does Pardew pick him? There has to be a reason, but I can't see it. I have never had much time for Pardew and decisions like the reason for picking Shola just leaves me bewildered.

Why pick Shola?

To hold the ball up? No, he never does that as his second touch is usually an attempted tackle.

So why does Pardew pick him? There has to be a reason, but I can't see it. I have never had much time for Pardew and decisions like the reason for picking Shola just leaves me bewildered.

Was baffled by the decision but Shola did everything that was asked of him tonight. One of the very few times bringing the inclusion of Shola as a negative doesn't make sense.

i'm not so sure it was a concious decision to go defensive after we scored. i just don't think we are caspable at the minute of being good enough on the ball to play games out when teams are coming right on at us. could well come as the players get more used to each other.

Why pick Shola?

Was baffled by the decision but Shola did everything that was asked of him tonight. One of the very few times bringing the inclusion of Shola as a negative doesn't make sense.

What?? What threat did Shola offer?