Alan Pardew

Dave

Didn't agree to the approach to the game, not that much could have been done to drastically change the starting line up but we done enough to win both games tbh, absolutely gutted :(

I think Benfica would have something to say about that like, since they did more than enough to win both games.

You don't think we could have won both games? Cisse hitting the post twice first game, two offside goals this game, Ben Arfa putting over from about 16 yards out, the two massive individual fuck ups costing us two goals...

Fuck it, not going to bother. Pardew's fault, his tactics didn't give us a chance etc.. :lol:

Sentence I've bolded, will you piss off with that rubbish - I'm sick of trying to have sensible conversations about this and having that kind of shite thrown around.

First bit - I'm saying on the balance of play they deserved to go through, no bother.  Also, if I was a neutral I'd say I was glad to see the far more positive side go through.

I could understand some of the logic behind his decisions tonight, but (with the benefit of hindsight) we started playing too late and I would say... on the 'bottle it/go for it' spectrum... that performance was closer to bottling it. We could've won that 2-0.

I normally hate his containment s****, but it seems appropriate for these type of matches.

Can't fault him for tonight's plan. Almost worked.

We didnt really contain them tho.  They could have had a couple early on and scored at the dead.

Tactics were spot on today except for playing with Bigirimana from the start. I understand we wanted to contain them early but he just wasn't up to the occasion.

Almost, almost worked. Would've regained a lot of respect for him if it did.

Tactics were spot on today except for playing with Bigirimana from the start. I understand we wanted to contain them early but he just wasn't up to the occasion.

Spot on.

I could understand some of the logic behind his decisions tonight, but (with the benefit of hindsight) we started playing too late and I would say... on the 'bottle it/go for it' spectrum... that performance was closer to bottling it. We could've won that 2-0.

:thup:

Agree here. I don't agree with his approach but in hindsight I understand what he wanted to do. Still over the course of the season he has proved time and time again that he's not a good enough manager to take us to the next level.

I normally hate his containment s****, but it seems appropriate for these type of matches.

Can't fault him for tonight's plan. Almost worked.

We didnt really contain them tho.  They could have had a couple early on and scored at the dead.

we set out to stop them scoring in the 70 mins, and we did it.  so close ,a real proud effort.

Think I'll give this thread a miss tonight. He's overachieved in Europe with that squad, as s*** as he's been for us in the PL this year.

I don't agree whatsoever. The first real good team we played and we went out. No discredit either. I think he's done well, but he hasn't overachieved in my opinion at least. Don't like his approach to football but he's a likeable guy and I'll give him that.

Anzhi are definitely a good team like. Not as good as Benfica, but we did well to get past them.

Spot on.

:thup:

Spot on apart from Bigirimana? Fucking hell. :lol:

That's not football though is it. Contain another team when you have to win 2-0. I'll give my two cents about it and say he's in the know that he's incapable of managing this team offensively and therefore hoped to nick a goal and put pressure on them with the help of the fans. I don't agree with his approach or if his philosophy if he has any, but I'm starting to realize that he himself understands he's nothing more than an average manager and leaves everything down to occasional luck.

Guest hydeous

I think it's difficult to say without knowing what exactly would have happened in the alternate universe where Pards went for it from the off, but his plan almost worked. We were battering them for a good period of the 2nd half and really should've scored two.

Maybe there are too many out injured for us to have a real good go at games, maybe Pards has no idea what managing a football team is about.

But tonight, I think we were okay. Another day, it might've worked. Fwiw, I think they're the better team anyway, so maybe we had to take a gamble. I don't know.

Anyway, I'm off to bed. This feeling really sucks. I'm feeling so hollow inside. :( G'night folks.

Think I'll give this thread a miss tonight. He's overachieved in Europe with that squad, as s*** as he's been for us in the PL this year.

I don't agree whatsoever. The first real good team we played and we went out. No discredit either. I think he's done well, but he hasn't overachieved in my opinion at least. Don't like his approach to football but he's a likeable guy and I'll give him that.

Anzhi are definitely a good team like. Not as good as Benfica, but we did well to get past them.

Right, we complain about or squad yet their squad is bunch of unknown Russians and couple of start players, where one didn't play more than 10minutes and we beat them when they had one man less too.

I don't see how they were the only tactics we could have employed and we just got unlucky.  We could have tried to attack them without going fucking apeshit and putting Rob Elliott up front but we didn't, we held on like fuck for nearly the whole first half without trying to score a goal ourselves.

There are other ways to overturn a first leg deficit, in fact nearly every time you see a first leg deficit overturned in Europe it's as a result of a team getting after the other from the first whistle, taking advantage of complacence and scoring goals to get them shellshocked.  We undersold ourselves by waiting so long to even try.

Can't really fault him tonight for reasons already stated in the thread. We were unlucky to have even lost really given the matter of our first leg defeat, but that's just the way it is.

That's not football though is it. Contain another team when you have to win 2-0. I'll give my two cents about it and say he's in the know that he's incapable of managing this team offensively and therefore hoped to nick a goal and put pressure on them with the help of the fans. I don't agree with his approach or if his philosophy if he has any, but I'm starting to realize that he himself understands he's nothing more than an average manager and leaves everything down to occasional luck.

Benfica are an excellent attacking team and I don't think we would've been able to stop them from scoring an away goal while putting pressure on them for 90 minutes. Given our limitations, the best chance we had was always going to be creating a window of opportunity to win the game rather than just going in all blood and thunder.

The plan almost worked. It's harsh to call it fundamentally flawed.