Newcastle 2 - 1 Spurs - 18/08/12 - post-match jubilation from page 35

Beren

That buildup to the Demba goal :fwap:

liked the way we played but to listen to shearers MotD analysis, the tiote pass takes 3 out as does ban arfas, still one pass later they have us swamped at the back really and it was a fantastic to get us the goal.

Shearer had a good point. Up till then, their pressing game had us knocking the ball backwards and hoofing it long. That was one of the first occasions when we actually managed to use a bit of skill to get the ball through their midfield. It left Simpson with lots of time to pick the cross.

I didn't think we played all that much better in the second half. However, we did get the first goal, and that was crucial for our confidence.

Still not convinced that we should be playing Ba and Cisse together, whether it's 4-4-2 or 4-3-3.

i disagree, each time we gave the ball to ben arfa in the first half we done that. i was more takingissue with the punditry of "takes 3 out" then the next pass "takes 3 out" as if those players wont drop back in and consolodate.

Throughout the game, we were very reliant on Ben Arfa's individual efforts, but we really struggled to pass and move our way towards the opposition defence. It's what's separating us from the sides above us.

Shearer could have put it better, because yeah we didn't eliminate those midfield players for the entire move. But we got the ball behind them, and made them turn backwards. Usually it was us going backwards.

as ben arfas runs done in the first half so those passes done in the second. what it came down to was that as we put the ball in (and we didn't waste any time doing it) they had loads who'd got back, so we didn't really cut anyone out/

There were 4 or 5 hilariously typical Defoe moments. He's a pile of s****.

You can just admit you're wrong. Saves time and effort.

He,s a blinkered greedy idiot, two or three times if he had any awareness he'd have fainted to shoot and played in players a couple of yards either side of him who were in much better positions.

He's just a slightly better Peter Ndlov IMO, never has his head up and is solely interested in himself.

Some of the fuckin patter in here, man... We won a difficult first game of the season. Whap it out, man. Geet up Demba.

I can see Pardew's thinking with the 442, mind. If the ball falls to eithrt in the box we have a good chance of a goal, so why not have both in the box with everyone else doing the work. Whatever tactics get us through the first 10 games or so with wins will do for me.

He scored a goal. He didn't have an amazing game. I still don't rate him.

Nothing to admit.

That's what he's there for though. He's not a world-beater by any means, but the guy is an opportunist who knows how to put the ball in the back of the net. Far from shit.

I think the reason everything was so slow and stilted from us today was down to the fact that Cabaye was obviously off the pace. As a result Tiote was trying to operate as the link man which stilted our attack somewhat. Looked better when Anit came on as there was another player moving and making himself available. I'm sure it won't take Cabaye long to get up to speed though.

Guest firetotheworks

Defoe scored, that doesn't mean he was good.

He's actually scored nearly 200 career goals. Means he's good.

It means he was good today? He wasn't, he just shoots no matter what.

And that's probably why he scores as often as he does. It's not as if he launches all his shots from 40 yards out, he's almost always having a go inside the 20.

I mean, you really can't deny he was giving us fits today. Not an Adebayor performance thank Christ, but still troubling at times.

Because he's a goal scorer. He might not have had a great game, but those that are saying he's poor/has been poor are wrong.

Guest Phil K

He scores often against us. It means he's more than capable.

Whether anyone thinks he's good or otherwise is irrelevant.

He scores. Thats what he's paid for. And he DOES - for club AND country

Guest firetotheworks

Because he's a goal scorer. He might not have had a great game, but those that are saying he's poor/has been poor are wrong.

He wasn't good today is what I'm saying.

Guest firetotheworks

Kevin Nolan scores goals. Case closed.

:lol: Isn't the point of football to score goals?

No. It's to score them and work as a team to prevent them. Defoe is a player that is carried for his goal scoring ability. Aside from that he offers zero.

No. It's to score them and work as a team to prevent them. Defoe is a player that is carried for his goal scoring ability. Aside from that he offers zero.

You're right like. Would hate to have a constant goal threat in my team.

Somebody's gotta do it, won't be winning many games if you can't find the net. No matter how good your defense is.

I don't care if a striker stands around jostling his balls for 90 minutes, if he puts the ball in the net with consistency, I want him on my side.