Newcastle 2 - 1 Spurs - 18/08/12 - post-match jubilation from page 35

Beren

A lot like last season in that I'm not convinced these are the players for 4-4-2, but the result is the important thing today. I suppose Pardew can always point to that and say having goalscorers on the pitch is what won the game.

:lol: fuck off with this point guard shit by the way.

:lol: Just making a comparison.

Next time, don't.

:lol: Fuck that.

HBA holding the ball and working until he could win the penalty was exactly like what Chris Paul did against Spain during the gold medal game. The 23.9999 play.

Just one game to go by, but he's picking his shots better and becoming a leader.

HBA took over when he needed to. That's what you want from a guy like that. He's our point guard.

The pint guard is definitely Cabaye or Tiote, but the point is still somewhat valid. Ben Arfa is the one player in our team who is different from the rest. He regularly does things none of the other ten would think of trying. We need to give him space to operate and lead the team forward. He won't ask for the ball the majority of the time, but when he does, it should be given to him. Something is coming.

Average performance, but a great result against a side that will be a direct rival if things go to plan. Two moments of brilliance from two people that will need to carry us on at least three fronts this season.

For me, either HBA or Jonas play that PG role. Jonas is more of a Rondo type, not looking to score, but working hard to maintain possession and distribute.

HBA is like CP3. Keeping us in the game, absolutely looking to score but more than capable of finding the right option.

Tiote is Ron Artest.

Ok wtf is a point guard? And if it's something to do with american football can we please never use it again...

:yao: Brits and basketball

HBA is absolutely the PG of this team.

Not a great performance, but a win and a terrific goal from Ba. :thup: Plenty of effort today, but Cabaye and Tiote looked well short of match fitness. Jonas was very good, Perch slotted in alongside Taylor really well and Ben Arfa had them scared witless in the 2nd half.

Guest optimistic nit

Swear I saw Amalfitano warming up, but he wasn't on the bench. How odd.

Shola pulled out and was replaced by amalfitano

Guest firetotheworks

Just come back.

Krul 8

Simpson 6

Taylor 7

Perch 7

Santon 8

HBA 8

Tiote 7

Cabaye 7

Jonas 7

Ba 7

Cisse 6

Shola pulled out and was replaced by amalfitano

I think he was. Commentators were mentioning that Shola pulled up and he replaced him.

Ah. Cheers.

The Taylor header goes down as one of the greatest things I've ever seen at SJP.

Was in stitches at it :lol:

The one back to Krul? I couldn't stop laughing at it in the pub, it was hilarious.

First half was very similar to Arsenal last year, couldn't get a foot hold in the game at all. At half time Pardew got it right and moved Cabaye into a place where he could get on the ball under less pressure and just keep possession. With Jonas in there alongside him it left Tiote to be a bit freer and press higher up, which was an interesting way of doing it but it worked. With Ba now on the left and Ben Arfa a constant outlet we got going, Ba's goal was brilliantly taken but we let Spurs back into it. They were getting more and more of the ball and the goal was coming when it did arrive.

I expected it to peter out into a draw but that's not how this squad thinks. When Tiote took a shot that Sandro charged down, I thought Sandro was seriously hurt as a few Spurs players did that thing where they look at the injury and then walk away with their hands on their head, and the phsyio rushed on. Whilst Sandro was being attended to I saw Ben Arfa speak to Tiote and knew a short corner was coming, which I groaned it. However, for Ben Arfa to be faced with Lennon & VDV is a dream and he of course drew the foul and dispatched the pen, Jurassic Park.

Anita was on by that point of course and after a nervous start where he gave it away a couple of times he settled, and the boy even has some pace. Will get better over time I think.

Credit to Pards for getting it right with the formation change at half time, but I think he knows that's the formation that will win us games and his reluctance to upset Ba by playing him on the left could cost us sooner rather than later. Hopefully sense is seen by everyone.

Just got back from the pub (2 wins in 2 now at the Friendship Inn in Manchester). Whilst we were sluggish and unspectacular, a win's a win and it is a brilliant start to the season. We'll definitely improve fitness-wise as the weeks go by - you could tell we weren't in tip-top shape but I'm sure we'll be fine come the start of September.

Ben Arfa was our best player on the pitch by a mile - he was actually making things happen and more than did his part defensively too. I'm so glad Ba got his goal (and what a good goal it was too), it will most certainly act as a confidence booster and a happy Demba Ba will be a massive asset to have.

Of course, there's still quite a bit of room for improvement in all areas of the pitch but again, that will come with time imo. PS. 4-3-3 for the win, credit to Pardew for changing formations at half time.