Newcastle 2 - 1 Spurs - 18/08/12 - post-match jubilation from page 35

Beren

The Taylor header goes down as one of the greatest things I've ever seen at SJP.

Was in stitches at it :lol:

The one back to Krul? I couldn't stop laughing at it in the pub, it was hilarious.

A guy next to me ran about four rows down the stairs and did a proper running up and down arms pumping celebration at it!

Glad some of the people on here weren't at the game. They would have been booing at half time no doubt. :rolleyes:

Spurs are a fucking good side, and this was an excellent result. We didn't play particularly well and they'll feel pretty hard done by to not get at least a point, but it was the first game of the season and we looked understandably nervous and tentative. Improved as the game went on in the second half. I'm delighted.

Glad some of the people on here weren't at the game. They would have been booing at half time no doubt. :rolleyes:

Spurs are a fucking good side, and this was an excellent result. We didn't play particularly well and they'll feel pretty hard done by to not get at least a point, but it was the first game of the season and we looked understandably nervous and tentative. Improved as the game went on in the second half. I'm delighted.

Improved in the 2nd half when we went from 4-4-2 to 4-3-3  :shifty:

Spurs are a f***ing good side, and this was an excellent result. We didn't play particularly well and they'll feel pretty hard done by to not get at least a point, but it was the first game of the season and we looked understandably nervous and tentative. Improved as the game went on in the second half. I'm delighted.

This completely. We dug out a really good win against a strong side, we did very well.

Game of two halves. Lucky to go in level at half time, but deserved to win the second half. We got at them after the equaliser and got our reward. Spurs will feel hard done by given they hit the woodwork twice like.

A few players didn't look up to speed, espescially Cabaye. The change in formation at half time made all the difference. We were a bit over-run in midfield the first half but that all changed. Thought Gutierrez had an excellent game in centre mid, and Ben Arfa was the difference in the end.

Really happy for Ba. Last day of ramadan today, too.

Classic Pardew today, the first half we looked like a bunch of mostly gifted footballers shackled by a 4-4-2. Second half they had a bit more freedom and the goals came.

As far as the penalty incident goes, Pardew definitely said last season that there was no set penalty taker, it looks to me that there still isn't.

I'm taking everything as a positive today except Simpson's defending for the goal. The winger had at least 15 yards to work with when he got the ball.

I'm definitely giving Cabaye the benefit of the doubt and saying it's his fitness today, but he does have a tendency to disappear in midfield. Today was easily his worse game for us. Tiote did the work of 2 men.

Did Redknapp really say after the game that Spurs will finish above us and our back four wouldn't make it onto Spurs bench? :lol:

AVB said the match showed they are the better team.

Swansea showed us that last season when Papiss beat them on their patch :thup: Liverpool showed WBA a thing or two today as well.

Game of two halves. Lucky to go in level at half time, but deserved to win the second half. We got at them after the equaliser and got our reward. Spurs will feel hard done by given they hit the woodwork twice like.

A few players didn't look up to speed, espescially Cabaye. The change in formation at half time made all the difference. We were a bit over-run in midfield the first half but that all changed. Thought Gutierrez had an excellent game in centre mid, and Ben Arfa was the difference in the end.

Really happy for Ba. Last day of ramadan today, too.

Yep, we were really dreadful in the first half. Spurs weren't great, but they just looked that bit fitter and more fluid than us, something that didn't carry over into the 2nd half funnily enough. maybe they tired themselves out. though they were well on top first half, i thought we were well on top 2nd, and while we may not have deserved 3 points, i think we were slightly the better side.

Cabaye looked like a 35 year old with nothing left in the tank today - which was quite shocking considering how energetic he usually is. Playing with just two in the middle outnumbered by them proved to be a big mistake and it could've cost us. switching to three in the middle worked a treat, Cabaye sat back close to the centre-halves and sprayed it about without having to use his legs, which also released some of the pressure on tiote. As said earlier it also meant Ba had to get more involved in his wide position. it's counter-productive having him and Cisse staying central just waiting for chances, we can only afford to have one player in the side doing that. the forwards cant just sit around hoping the chances will arrive, one of them has to get actively involved in creating the chances and ensuring we see more of the ball.

will be disappointed if Pardew retreats back to 4-4-2 after this.

Guest andrew

Fwiw with those pining for 4-3-3 he seemed to imply on nufc t.v that it's still the "plan B" and he was praising Ba saying he had to ask him to go and do a job on the left because we couldn't get a foothold and so on, he was laughing with rob scanlon when he asked if that goal shows he can still get goals from the left- Pards said Ba wouldn't like hearing that, reading between the lines Ba's not too keen on playing there still.

Did Redknapp really say after the game that Spurs will finish above us and our back four wouldn't make it onto Spurs bench? :lol:

AVB said the match showed they are the better team.

Swansea showed us that last season when Papiss beat them on their patch :thup: Liverpool showed WBA a thing or two today as well.

Exactly. I mean they were unlucky, but to say they're definitely the better team and that our players aren't fit to lace the boots of theirs is just ridiculous.

Hope it comes back to bite them on the arse.

Guest Howaythetoon

For all their possession and so-called chances, did they really cause us that much trouble? I thought we were quite comfortable in general and looked like we had several gears we could move up into which of course we rarely did. Sign of a good team who can win games when not at their best. We certainly have the indivdiuals in Ben Arfa and Ba for example.

Spurs for me were much like I thought they would be, lots of posession, easy on the eye etc. but I agreed with KK, they lack creativity in the middle and look lightweight even. Defeoe will score goals but he will not trouble a defence like Adebayour did. In midfield they will retain possession well but without Modric, they won't dictate play in an attacking sense. The Icelandic lad looks a good box to box player but he doesn't seem to fit in with that midfield which is all about protecting and keeping the ball.

I thought they were quite average to be honest, they were a much bigger threat last season at SJP.

Ourselves on the other hand, while not playing too great, look like we are capable of much more as we did show in flashes. For a spell after they equalised we were great, calm, slick and attacking and we deserved our winning goal because of that play.