Thoughts on this summer's transfer window

Wallace
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

When we lost Raylor, I honestly thought that might open up the kitty a bit to buy. No such luck.

What I'm really worried about is January. What will our starting 11 look like without Tiote, Ba, and Cisse? Throw in an injury - which is likely - and we're on thin ice.

Maybe, hopefully, Ashley knows he'll have to buy then, and decided to save for that point.

Erm..

Maybe he meant one of them might be injured, before he mentioned injuries...

Our first team isn´t complete and our second team isn´t good enough. That´s my view.

Looking at yesterdays match I can´t say many of the players can fill in comfortably in premier league. I also have doubts about our overall football. Not good enough. A lot of hoof balls, long distance between players, no movement and isolated forwards.

delighted :laugh:

Obviously you wouldn't want to put as many reserves into a premier match as we did yesterday. But considering we fielded a second team it was an encouraging display for me. As for the hoof ball that's down to Pards tactic of playing two big strikers together IMO. I think we've got the players to go 4-3-3 if needed and the football will look better.

Our first team isn´t complete and our second team isn´t good enough. That´s my view.

Looking at yesterdays match I can´t say many of the players can fill in comfortably in premier league. I also have doubts about our overall football. Not good enough. A lot of hoof balls, long distance between players, no movement and isolated forwards.

delighted :laugh:

Obviously you wouldn't want to put as many reserves into a premier match as we did yesterday. But considering we fielded a second team it was an encouraging display for me. As for the hoof ball that's down to Pards tactic of playing two big strikers together IMO. I think we've got the players to go 4-3-3 if needed and the football will look better.

That´s true. But if you look at the players performance individually you can easily see that the quality drops fast. And as soon Gosling, Willo, Shola will be playing we are in deep shit that in the long run will end in tears.

Wonder whos head supposedly was turned a bit....

We'll probably find out in January if heads are turned after finishing 5th unless we do better than expected again.

Yeah, but honestly I don't really care to know. We lost nobody, we did not secure CB, RB, or Striker depth. Now lets do with what we've got and hopefully those thinner areas don't become a problem for us.

I'm over this sort of "bleh" feeling about the end of this window - we've signed Bigi, Good, Amalfi and Anita. Here's to hoping they prove to be the same hits that most of our recent transfers have been and I can't bloody wait for SJP to come alive on Sunday v Villa. Hope we batter them.

I can definitely think that players like Ba and Cabaye isn´t happy.

Tioté, as said, doesn´t seems to be a player that would force a move or would drop in quality over a waiting move.

Though, it´s absolutely wonderfully that Ben Arfa doesn´t seems to have been "turned", he´s just fantastic :love:

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

I must be easily pleased then because I voted happy. I am Happy because we still have the same top class team from last season. Say what you like about not adding and all that jazz, but I said before the window losing no key players is the biggest thing and we haven't. Here's hoping we get a least a top 7 finish with this good team we still have.

I can definitely think that players like Ba and Cabaye isn´t happy.

Tioté, as said, doesn´t seems to be a player that would force a move or would drop in quality over a waiting move.

Though, it´s absolutely wonderfully that Ben Arfa doesn´t seems to have been "turned", he´s just fantastic :love:

Yeah, slightly surprised that Pardew has suggested that some players' "heads were turned" by interest, and creates a bit of a guessing game as to who he could be talking about.

The only player who hasen't been 100% in my opinion is Cabaye, who has looked sluggish compared to what we have become accustomed to from him. Tiote has been injured. Ben Arfa has started in great form, looking up for the games. Ba has looked good. Cisse looks like he needs a goal to kick him off again.

I would question why Pardew would say these things though, as all it will do is make us fans question who he is talking about? We have kept all our big players, we don't want to hear that heads have been turned. So in my opinion, it can only be aimed inwards, i.e. it's to get a reaction from some of the players. But still, it suggests that some did have their heads turned.

Not read much of this thread so sorry if giggs.

I think this transfer window has been more of a missed opportunity than a failure.

Pretty pissed at the management, cba to expand and everyone knows what I mean anyway. I realise we have a business model but it has really been laughable.

At the end of the day I'm happy we didn't lose players. Obviously dissapointed, but I'm a pessimist so I expected us to lose Tiote and maybe Ba or Cabaye and bring in some bullshit player like Michael Owen to compensate, so at the end of the day I am angrily satisfied? Overwhelmingly indifferent? Ready for some fucking football?

The only way we were realistically going to improve the first-team was a right-back, and possibly a centre-back. We need a right-back in January bare minimum, and it's a big gamble trying to get to that point with just Coloccini, Taylor & Williamson for the second year running.

Big opportunity for Adam Campbell to get a few appearances now as well, and for us to see this 4-3-3 given the lack of out-and-out strikers.

The only way we were realistically going to improve the first-team was a right-back, and possibly a centre-back. We need a right-back in January bare minimum, and it's a big gamble trying to get to that point with just Coloccini, Taylor & Williamson for the second year running.

Big opportunity for Adam Campbell to get a few appearances now as well, and for us to see this 4-3-3 given the lack of out-and-out strikers.

Big gamble and as you say opportunity for Campbell as well as vuckic, tav, fergie, good, Sammy

I'd be curious to see a midfield diamond with our current squad... Something like

Tiote

Jonas        Cabaye

Ben Arfa

Ba            Cisse

could be pretty slick, they are all good on the ball and we might be able to hold possession for more than five seconds. Could see HBA drifting left or right as his fancy takes him, Cabaye able to surge forward with Jonas doing the heavy lifting behind him.

I am just glad the transfer window is over.

Now we can move on with a squad that at first glance looks marginally better than it did this time last year.

I've put the squad this year against the squad in September last year. Also I have put a + or - next to players this year who I expect to have better or worse performances than their performances for us last year, e.g. a better season for Cabaye as he has adapted to the PL.

Krul                Krul+                              Second full season, going to keep improving

Harper            Harper-                          Deteriorating, yet has somehow overtaken Elliot as preferred second choice

Elliot              Elliot

Simpson        Simpson

Santon          Santon+                          Building on last year's experience

R. Taylor        R. Taylor--                        Out for season

Tavernier        Tavernier++                    Ready to make the step up to a fringe player

Ferguson        Ferguson+                      Expect to have more impact

Perch              Perch+                            Looks like he can pick up where he left off and give us a full season

Coloccini        Coloccini

S. Taylor        S. Taylor+                        Fit again

Williamson      Williamson

Kadar            Good                              Coaches seem optimistic that this is an upgrade.

Cabaye          Cabaye+                        Can expect a better second season, if he sorts his fitness out.

Tiote              Tiote

Gosling          Gosling

Abeid            Abeid+                            Someone who now has that little extra experience and could see more games.

Guthrie          Anita                                Different styles of player, but replaced a steady Englishman with a Dutch international.

Smith            Bigirimana                      Youth to replace player on the way down.

Jonas            Jonas+                          Stating to show he can excel in other positions e.g. CM

Marveaux      Marveaux+                      Fit again, hopefully

Ben Arfa        Ben Arfa+                        A full season of a player that has finally got fit and fitted into the starting XI

Obertan        Obertan                          Not a completely lost cause as Atromitos showed

Sa. Ameobi  Sa. Ameobi++                  Nearly fit again, last season will have really benefitted him.

Amalfitano

Ba                Ba

Ameobi        Ameobi

Best              Cisse                              Huge improvement, and we get a whole season.

Loven          Campbell                        Might excite a few fans

Vuckic          Vuckic++                        Stay fit, and he's going to shine this season in my opinion.

So up front, we have actually strengthened.

We can expect improvements from our wide attackers, which gives us the further option of utilising one of these in a more advanced strikers role.

We have consolidated our central midfield, which can be more robust in the event of injuries.

Centre back is about the same with improved yout cover. However there is also Perch who as our versatile defensive player is highly improved and can cover all defensive positions strongly.

Full back has some good points and bad points compared to last season. Losing Taylor is a real blow and creates depth vulnerability. We could have done with another first team player but it wasn't to be. Tavenier, Ferguson and even Jonas at full back may be seen more often than people like.

In goal I think we are most vulnerable if we were to lose Krul for a bit, but we just have to hope for Krul to stay fit.

I think we are stronger than we were at the start of last season. plus if we get a full season out of S taylor, this is also an obvious improvement on last. My biggest concern is not getting a replacement in for R Taylor.  That said- the fact we didnt move our best players on is positive.

Well this is a first, I had to take a double-take at that post to make sure it was James because it was a pretty good one.

Time to take time off from this forum to get over the shock I think.

?

I'm disappointed we didn't bring in another right back, because I think Simpson is holding us back. Apart from that, okay.

It's annoying when you see other clubs throwing money around, but our strategy still makes sense. If you're going to try and bring young players through, there's not much point in spending lots of money on ready-made players who aren't significantly better than the ones you've already got. They'll only block the development of the youngsters.

The other way of team building is to sell players whose reputations are temporarily inflated (eg Carroll), and bring in players who are temporarily under-rated. Tiote for £20m would have been a good move, if it had been on the cards. Either those opportunities weren't there, or we turned them down.

So up front, we have actually strengthened.

We can expect improvements from our wide attackers, which gives us the further option of utilising one of these in a more advanced strikers role.

We have consolidated our central midfield, which can be more robust in the event of injuries.

Centre back is about the same with improved yout cover. However there is also Perch who as our versatile defensive player is highly improved and can cover all defensive positions strongly.

Full back has some good points and bad points compared to last season. Losing Taylor is a real blow and creates depth vulnerability. We could have done with another first team player but it wasn't to be. Tavenier, Ferguson and even Jonas at full back may be seen more often than people like.

This is a very good post - in amongst all the disappointment about lack of signings it's easy to forget that we've kept all our best players and the young lads and foreigners should all be stronger for last season's experience.

For instance I've seen several complaints about Best not being replaced but he hardly played once Cisse arrived anyway so that's effectively his replacement. Anita looks to be an upgrade on Guthrie and Campbell, Vuckic and Sammy can easily match what Lovenkrands offered. Fully fit seasons out of S Taylor, Marveaux and HBA and at least one of the African lads staying put and we're well ahead.

Guest SweMatt

I agree with James, our squad is stronger this season, but EL will cost us more injuries and fatigue. Right back position is a worry, Simpson should not be more than a backup.

I am disappointed - not lest for the fact we were supposedly linked with some good players yet bar Anita got none through the door.  Anita for me is a strange buy, yes we lost Guthrie but Midfield in one area we have reasonable strength.  Can't help but think he was a replacement for Tiote and they'd planned to use money from that sale to fund some of our targets.

Pardew is becoming very predictable approaching a transfer window , initially making noises about how many bodies he would like to bring in then as the end of the window draws near he backtracks whilst telling us that he hopes he loses no one. Same story as last season, on the plus side , we have not lost anyone but we have hardly strengthened with one first team midfielder while losing Guthrie, Lovenkrands and Best- for me that is 3 out and 1 in + the loss of Raylor. Overall not a depressing window for us but not a great one either and with more games to play can we be confident about this season , I think not.