Atromitos 1 - 1 Newcastle United - 23/08/12 - Post-match reaction from page 38

Dave

I'd forgotten the referees in Europe always give fouls for stuff that would never be classed as a foul by an English ref.

1-1 means the tie isn't dead so NUFC will be hoping for a decent crowd next Thursday.

Apart from that bollock drop at the end Bigi had a good game. Amalfitano looked good. Obertan had a decent second half after a poor first half. Gosling and Marveaux were very disappointing.

Harper - 6. Nowt to do, other than the goal (which he couldn't do much with).

Tavernier - 4. Shaky and caught out of position more than a couple of times. Didn't offer anything going forward either.

Williamson - 6. Didn't have much to do defensively but was so frustrating in their box. No presence at all despite his height.

Perch - 7. Decent. Held the line well and a couple of good tackles. Passed it out of defense well too.

Raylor - 7. Looked like one of the most experienced players out there. Decent delivery and a brilliant goal.

Anita - 8. Our best player imo. An assured presence in front of a (at times) wobbly backline and a constant supplier to the front four. Quick, too.

Bigirimana - 6. Some nice passes and some nice touches; a couple poor ones. Looks the best of our current batch of youngsters.

Obertan - 5. Fucking utterly horrendous in the first half. Just woeful, woeful. Improved in the second with a couple decent runs.

Gosling - 4. Nothing player. Say it every time. He has nothing to his game.

Marveaux - 5. Disappointing performance. Flattered to deceive throughout.

Cisse - 5. Never really in it and should've scored from the chance he had. Doesn't look sharp but that's no surprise with the Ramadan bullshit.

Thought Amalfitano looked good when he came on.

Job done.

Guest efullerton

I don't see how you can be disappointed in that given the sheer number of changes and new youngsters fielded. Anita, Bigi, Amalfitano, Campbell, and Tavenier (despite the mistake) all looked very talented and gave me hope for the future.  Low points for me were Marveaux, Gosling, and Obertan who again shows why they should be looking to offload him.

I am a bit less confident of the whole just playing mostly our 2nd side in Europe theory after that. Have to say. We'll have to use quite a few first team players to compete atleast on that showing.

has anyone propsed that ? most are wanting to just not put out the full stren gth XI, play 3 or 4 squad players maybe even a Good, Streete or Campbell.

Professional away performance in the end, tonight was all about preserving the tie ahead of next week. If it wasn't for the Chelsea match we wouldn't have made as many changes and would have comfortably had too much for them IMO.

Job done.

:thup: great to see Campbell come on too.

I am a bit less confident of the whole just playing mostly our 2nd side in Europe theory after that. Have to say. We'll have to use quite a few first team players to compete atleast on that showing.

That was the first competitive first-team game of the season for Harper, Ryan Taylor, Williamson, Tavernier, Gosling, Marveaux, Bigirimana, Amalfitano and Campbell. Obertan and Anita had played five and twenty-five minutes each respectively. It was a bit rusty but good enough in the circumstances. I wouldn't be too worried.

We won't be playing on a Saturday any other time after a European match, so we'll be able to play a stronger side as players will have an extra days rest.

That was the first competitive first-team game of the season for Harper, Ryan Taylor, Williamson, Tavernier, Gosling, Marveaux, Bigirimana, Amalfitano and Campbell. Obertan and Anita had played five and twenty-five minutes each respectively. It was a bit rusty but good enough in the circumstances. I wouldn't be too worried.

I agree with both of you really, but i think the line-up was more to do with the schedule - rather than a "play the reserves" policy.

I agree with both of you really, but i think the line-up was more to do with the schedule - rather than a "play the reserves" policy.

It was in future Europa ties you will see stronger line ups IMO, btw easy in hindsight but Amalfitano should have started instead of Obertan.

Managed to get an away goal and avoid defeat, can't really complain and I fully expect us to score at least 2 goals against these next week which will be enough to see us through.

Tavernier looked pretty shit if i'm honest, but i'm being nice and going to say he was shitting his kegs and it's too soon. Gosling and Obertan were their usual selves...useless. Amalfitano looked very sharp when he came on and deserves to start ahead of Obertan next week. Campbell looked quick and interested, would like to see him play upfront with Shola next week if he's fit. Anita and Bigi looked steady and love to get the ball out of their feet and spread the play all over the pitch, great to see.

It was in future Europa ties you will see stronger line ups IMO, btw easy in hindsight but Amalfitano should have started instead of Obertan.

I agree, but it seems that Pardew is asking him to earn his place. Maybe he's the type of character who needs that challenge. Shouldn't be too hard to get in ahead of Obertan mind :lol:

To be fair our first team looked very short of fitness and sharpness in their opening game so it's only fair to assume the 2nd string will get stronger aswell.

Still it will be easier when were not playing with 10 men. Gosling has got to pick it up and and show more or he'll find himself rarely getting a game even for the B team. Obertan improved 2nd half but it would have been impossible not to given his first half showing.

Marveaux in the interest of fairness was poor as well but the only real criticism is that he was too quiet. Needs to get on the ball more and perhaps play more centrally.

Decent enough performance and result all things considered. Anita and Bigi did well in the middle but Obertan, Marveaux and Gosling were poor up front. Second half was better with Amalfitano looking promising and Obertan finally waking up.

Gosling has nowt

I've honestly not seen anything from him in a Toon shirt so far to suggest otherwise. Has looked s**** even against lesser opposition.

a backheel in the pre-season last year

:megusta: