Atromitos 1 - 1 Newcastle United - 23/08/12 - Post-match reaction from page 38

Dave

Pardew is with the fans at the moment. :thup:

Bet you they get invited for a quick drink with the squad. Not sure if they're flying straight back though. Would be nice of the club to arrange.

What, all 50 of them!?

Bit of a gamble from Pardew to make 9 changes but it's paid off. Sounds like we looked shocking and disjointed for long periods and yet still came away with a draw and an away goal while most of the first choice XI rested. Get Chelsea out of the way and beat this lot at home and that sets us up for the rest of the season.

It was never going to be easy to juggle league games with away trips to Europe and allowances need to be made. Doesn't excuse basic errors from players obviously but it'll get easier once the season gets up and running and we get into a bit of a groove. The fixture list didn't help with having 2 tough opening league games with a 2-legged European qualifier stuck in there too. The 3 points against Spurs has taken some of the pressure off in the league and the hard part of qualifying is out of the way. If we can sneak a point against Chelsea and put this lot to the sword next Thursday we'll have done really well.

Missed last 20 mins of the first half, but here's how I saw it:

Harper - didn't have much to do. Takes an age to do anything.

Tav - got skinned far too often.  Steep learning curve for him.

Willo - clumsy as fuck, such a big oaf  solid enough at the back mind.

Perch - did well apart from overplaying it a few times.

R.Taylor - awesome set pieces, naff at everything else.

Bigi - tidy enough, gets stuck in, reads it well and is good on the ball.  One or two silly errors.

Anita - see above.

Obertan - predominantly shite, but great on the counter.  Seems to be all he's good at, still rarely uses his pace.

Gosling - awful, yet to see him play well for us I think?

Marveaux - flattered to deceive a bit, but looks class on the ball, fast as fuck which is a bonus.

Cisse - no service, didn't look interested.

Subs:

Amalfitano - looked awesome, really tidy when drifting about.  Showed good vision and skill, seems better drifting about as oppose to playing as a winger.

Jonas - terrible, seemed a pointless sub.

Campbell - quick, showed the odd glimpse of ability.  Future looks as bright as his hair.

All in all, a drab game, but I said I'd take a 1-1, possibly a 2-1 loss.  Should ease past these at SJP

Bet you they get invited for a quick drink with the squad. Not sure if they're flying straight back though. Would be nice of the club to arrange.

What, all 50 of them!?

Yup. Maybe the club will pay for their night out in Athens, or a meal, if the squad is flying back straight away. They deserve it  :aww:

Would def prefer we rotate in 3-4 first teamers in Europe to keep the side fresh in the league rather than rotating in a few 2nd team players. Expect that back 5 + Marv, Amalfitano, Obertan, Bigi etc to be used quite a lot. So yeah hopefully will pick up from here. Oh Vuckic, Abeid & Sammy aswell. Shola. Not to bad.

Guest neesy111

What, all 50 of them!?

Yup. Maybe the club will pay for their night out in Athens, or a meal, if the squad is flying back straight away. They deserve it  :aww:

The club will pay....

:yao:

Guest Howaythetoon

We cannot draw too much from this in terms of performance and individuals. We've played like this many a time in Europe in the past with much stronger sides. We got a good work out, a lot of squad players got game time, some looking good, some looking a bit iffy, and we are one foot over the line if you like.

I was impressed with Perch, Anita, R.Taylor, Bigi, Amilafatano or whatever he's called and Campbell when he came on.

Gosling however... he has nowt to his game really and seems the odd man out. He lacks skill, technique and pace. He will never be a good player, especially for us.

i'd have took that result at the start.  A professional solid enough European away game,  avoided defeat and got the away goal.  It was never going to be a classic when the temperature is 38 degrees, stupidly hot to try and run and play football in.  With regard to the conditions i don't want to be critical however i was disappointed with Marveaux, Gosling and Obertan, 3 players who are probably the closest to getting in the first team and i was hoping for big performances from them but they flattered to deceive.  Thought Tavernier started poorly but got better as the game went on.  Think Pardew will be pleased, plenty of positives for him too take out of the game, especially Bigi and Anita.

Now we just need to complete the job next week.

Anita impressed me most, very tidy passing, always showing for the ball and looking to pass it forward, showed good read of the game when defending.

Actually thought Obertan looked decent for big parts of the second half, started beating his man and made 3 or 4 good crosses into the box.

Was at the stadium, agree with general consensus about the game, not great but did the business. However, after the game outside a few NUFC fans abused Obertan quite violently, calling him shite etc. he looked devastated tbh. Of course he was poor, but is that really helpful? Cisse and cabaye were class, stayed with the fans to have photos despite Greek police trying to move them on

Guest BooBoo

Was at the stadium, agree with general consensus about the game, not great but did the business. However, after the game outside a few NUFC fans abused Obertan quite violently, calling him shite etc. he looked devastated tbh. Of course he was poor, but is that really helpful? Cisse and cabaye were class, stayed with the fans to have photos despite Greek police trying to move them on

What a bunch of fucking arseholes. Don't care how much they've spent going over, that sort of shite is bang out of order.

Stupid fans tbh. Can't really belive that. There's a difference between writing something bad about some player at a forum and actually saying it to him after a game where there were only few stand out performances.

Was at the stadium, agree with general consensus about the game, not great but did the business. However, after the game outside a few NUFC fans abused Obertan quite violently, calling him s**** etc. he looked devastated tbh. Of course he was poor, but is that really helpful? Cisse and cabaye were class, stayed with the fans to have photos despite Greek police trying to move them on

:anguish: