Chelsea 2 - 0 Newcastle United - 25/08/12 - post-fart reaction from page 35

Dave

Minimal contact, thought it was soft as s**** tbh, but then ref's don't want to spoil the big 4 party.

It was a clear pen though.  If that had not been given on one of our players I'd be shaking with rage

To put it simply, we were beaten by the better team on the day. A deserving win for Chelsea tbh - Hazard, in particular, caused us quite a lot of problems through the middle/wings. I hate Torres though.

We looked off the pace again this week IMO. We do have a few fitness issues, namely with Cabaye who looked properly knackered by the hour mark. He's definitely not match fit yet. I'm sure he (and the team) will be fine, fitness-wise, as the weeks go by. It's just rather annoying how behind we are atm in comparison to other teams in the division.

Our first half performance was pretty much forgettable. We did play better in the second half (with Ben Arfa providing most of our attacking threat once again) but ultimately it wasn't enough to really trouble Chelsea. All in all, we were outdone and we just have to move on now.

Oh and about the 4-4-2/4-3-3 business btw...

We did beat Chelsea last season with a 4-4-2 so I can somewhat understand Pardew going with that system again but the problem with using that today was that Chelsea had new personnel who have actually improved their team so a new approach would have been better way to counter the Chelsea threat. 4-3-3 makes more sense because it actually utilizes all of our players to good effect - the good news is that Pardew does recognise it to be a good formation to switch to if need be.

Having said all of the above, we have to remember that this was our second game of the PL this season and considering that I would have been content with 2 points from our first two games (after the fixtures were released), I'd say I am pretty satisfied so far.

We just played the current European Champions on their own park. They've since invested another £80m since they won that title and are significantly better than us in just about every department.

Reading some of the comments you'd think we'd have just lost to fucking Rochdale.

We were leggy and flat and things just didn't go our way. We weren't embarrassed by any means and had a decent amount of the play but didn't deserve anything. Recuperate and move on.

Today highlighted how much we need to replace Simpson. We're a team that other teams fear now and will play a lot of football on the front foot, he's simply not cut out for it. Can't use the ball and shits himself when it comes to him. Can't cross, can't run with it, doesn't overlap effectively...

He's a decent defender but we now need more than that, he sticks out like a sore thumb and is holding us back.

We just played the current European Champions on their own park. They've since invested another £80m since they won that title and are significantly better than us in just about every department.

Reading some of the comments you'd think we'd have just lost to fucking Rochdale.

Please keep quoting this post until certain people land on planet earth again.

Reading some of the comments you'd think we'd have just lost to f***ing Rochdale.

Accrington Stanley tbh.

Reading some of the comments you'd think we'd have just lost to f***ing Rochdale.

This. We've been spoiled for too long with that good season. This is the present now, and as much as I hate it, Chelsea simply bolstered themselves more since our last meeting because they have deep pockets. They have the edge fitness-wise, they were playing at home, and they are now playing with the tag of European Champions. Having said those, being outplayed by them is not a shame at all. There is still the reverse fixture to look forward too, which I think we'll have a shot at.

2nd half was better than 1st half especially after the 3 substitutions. This shows that:

1) Cabaye is still not back to his best. His corners and set pieces were below average and did not support the two dembas with any quality through passes as we are used to see from him.

2) Dani Simpson is very average against good quality oppositions. All the little attacking on the wing came from our left side which handicapped the team and made it easier and more predictable for Chelsea to deal with us. This is why we need Debuchy.

3) Anita was good and he will get better with time but yesterday against Chelsea and being away is not the best time and place to start your full away debut. We definitely misses Tiote.

4) As much as the two dembas were starved of quality supplies I believe they play almost the same style and don't compliment each other and would have been interesting if we had a centre forward who could flick ona and give defenders a bit of a work out. This is where Caroll could come handy.

2) Dani Simpson is very average against good quality oppositions. All the little attacking on the wing came from our left side which handicapped the team and made it easier and more predictable for Chelsea to deal with us. This is why we need Debuchy.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSrpfzvXyJHqp9iC4YRX9KmyyQSQooE2XHe2PjrgZ2GB3-fEucv http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRiqSWlL-SCGea4-JJ_G9Kix6Mi_HVNnf6dNzQk6S6PrFeb7umo

Pretty much agree with what you said though.

Guest BooBoo

Be interesting to see if anyone else this year has to endure such a ridiculous schedule. Athens on Thursday, London on Saturday was pretty harsh.

What were the possession stats?

Thought we dominated the ball but were largely killed on the counter.

Pretty pleased with what I saw. Play like that against Villa and I think we will win.

They may be European champions but they're a long way from being the best side in Europe. They looked good going forward but they're vulnerable in defence and we missed one or two good chances.

We all know we've had worse days at Stamford Bridge but this issue of how the team is set up has been a long standing one, and I'm not convinced we've got that right.

I still think that had we lined up in a more dynamic shape, such as 4-2-3-1, then we could have got at Chelsea more- certainly in the first half. But I think we have to be realistic and take into consideration that we played in Athens on 48 hours earlier, and also that it was a completely new midfield partnership with Anita-Cabaye. That is more significant than people think. Plus, playing against a team containing arguably the two best attacking midfielders in the league in Hazard and Mata was always going to be very tough. Having two full backs with the quality of Ivanovic and Cole is a huge advantage too, they looked so much more balanced than us in that respect. Having said all that, they do look soft defensively and I think against the better teams such as Man Utd & City they'll be outclassed.

My main concern is that we've looked fairly below par in all our 3 games so far this season. After seeing how poor Villa are this season nothing but a win will do next week for me. But first we must make sure we finish the job at St.James on Thursday against Atromitos. No need to for a forum meltdown just yet.

Accrington Stanley tbh.

Northwich Victoria tbh.

Taylor's posy match comments pretty much summed up my feelings. The damage was done in the first half, we gave them far too much respect. The midfield was ten yards too deep leaving Ba and Cisse completely isolated up top. This meant most service came to them in the form of a long ball. Even then you felt if we could go to ther break in a single goal behind we might have had a chance, the second goal really was a killer and it allowed Chelsea to take their foot off the gas in the second half.

Having said that we were much better in the second half when we got Santon and Ben Arfa on the ball a bit more, Cabaye still looks knackered which considering his importance and influence is a bit of a worry. Bottom line is we lost 2-0 to the European Champions who've invested a significant amount over the summer, however the worry for me is we still look a team that doesn't know it's favoured formation and style, as well as having a couple of players that still look off the pace. If we beat Atromistos and Villa it'll have still of a been a more than satisfactory start to the campaign.

I agree with Sifu. We look short of fitness/sharpness. The reason Everton have started so well in my opinion is because in the 2 games they looked a level above Man United and Villa in terms of fitness and intensity.