How highly do you rate... Robert Pires?

Beren

He had a shaky start at Manchester United as I recall but ended the season as a Treble winner. He had good pace, good positioning, and brilliant in the air. There haven't been many better central defenders in the Premiership era, if any.

Taggart certainly made an error asserting his power with Stam and getting rid way too early.

yeah I recall one of the Sky Sports or MOTD panel referring to him as "Steve Bruce on rollerskates" at the beginning.

Certainly a mountain of a defender for Man Ure in the end and one of the best I`ve ever seen.

• 3 months later...

Little but late: David Beckham

Only fair (for some made-up reason) that Chris Waddle should kick us off:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22568870

Then neesy should stick his ore into the debate :snod:

Waddle's Beckham comments are pretty funny.

But ridiculously inaccurate.  A bit embarrassing for Waddle really.

Not really... Reading them he's spot on...

Mostly agree with him too myself tbh

Same.

Guest firetotheworks

David Beckham:

I've never seen a player be so overrated by some and so underrated by others. It often seemed that his fame and subsequent popularity and O.T.T high rating of him as a player meant that anyone that didn't rate him or didn't like him went completely the opposite way in their O.T.T low rating of him as a player.  It's went back and forth like that throughout his career.

What I would say is that as an all-round player he's never been world class, but he had one attribute that is still the best that I've ever seen and that added to his reputation.

To me he was a very good player that had an extremely good attribute that he has always been clever enough as a player to still exploit, even when everyone on the planet knows what it is.

Right place , right time football wise for him because had he played in the 70s or 80s he wouldn't have played five games for England. Waddle has every right to say what he did, he really was a far superior player to Beckham.

Right place , right time football wise for him because had he played in the 70s or 80s he wouldn't have played five games for England. Waddle has every right to say what he did, he really was a far superior player to Beckham.

That's taking it a bit far isn't it?

That's taking it a bit far isn't it?

No, no it honestly isn't.

A one trick pony with one of the best tricks around. A good player who will be remembered as being better than he was because of his celebrity.

Great passer, great free-kick taker, great crosser....

I think his actually talent is underrated. His celebrity status has a lot to do with that. Granted he's been overrated as well. He works his bollocks of and is fully committed to whoever he plays for. A very important part of Man Utd's success IMO.

A one trick pony with one of the best tricks around. A good player who will be remembered as being better than he was because of his celebrity.

Great passer, great free-kick taker, great crosser....

His workrate was unreal back in the day too.

Had a fantastic attitude and was one of the best players with a dead ball that I've ever seen. His crossing was excellent and he was a pretty decent finisher. His stamina often goes unnoticed as well. He was probably the fittest player in our treble winning side.

I liked him and I'll miss him. That's Beckham, Scholes, Gary Neville and Nicky Butt gone from the class of '92. Only Phil Neville and of course Giggs left.

Had a fantastic attitude and was one of the best players with a dead ball that I've ever seen. His crossing was excellent and he was a pretty decent finisher. His stamina often goes unnoticed as well. He was probably the fittest player in our treble winning side.

I liked him and I'll miss him. That's Beckham, Scholes, Gary Neville and Nicky Butt gone from the class of '92. Only Phil Neville and of course Giggs left.

There was a programme on years ago about his stamina. Basically said he was the bionic man and covered more ground than the vast majority of players every game.

Guest firetotheworks

I'd probably let him spoon me as well tbh. He's one of the few I can clearly see is a fucking beautiful man.

It's easy to forget how good he was at Man U, he was an excellent asset for them and he maximised his somewhat limited ability through sheer graft.

Good passer, shooter and crosser with stamina, intelligence and vision. His set pieces were very good too. Never in the top bracket of players.