Reading 2 - 2 Newcastle United - 29/09/12 - post-match reaction from page 43

Dave

Think the chances of playing 4-3-3 again are actually getting close as Cisse might as well not be playing in the league this season. Ba up top and then A.N Other on the left, I'd play Cisse v Bordeaux n all (not Ba)

Think the chances of playing 4-3-3 again are actually getting close as Cisse might as well not be playing in the league this season. Ba up top and then A.N Other on the left, I'd play Cisse v Bordeaux n all (not Ba)

I'd like to see Fergie given a start, he has been refreshing to watch last two games and picked up two assists.

In some ways it's unfortunate that we were so successful last season. This has led some (and I include myself) to think that, apart from the top teams, we should sweep all that is before us. Anyone who attended games on a regular basis last season will know that we maximised our playing resources and were relatively fortunate with injuries, that we scabbed some games, that at times we were brilliant but also that we lost some games to significant scores against.

Fifth position was great but I really don't expect such success this season. A draw away at Reading given their motivation is a decent result for this squad in view of our injury issues. I know that our best eleven on the top of their respective games is a match for any other team but the club is in a position of not having the luxury of cover in many key positions. Having said that I believe that more effort should have been made in recruitment in the summer. We have obvious weaknesses at centre-back and full-back that stand to be exposed now. I hold the club responsible for that; there was no requirement to spend large just to recruit in our most needful positions

I really don't think the results are what's worrying people.

If we'd been playing better football and getting the same results the vibe would be much better. It just doesn't seem like we have any sort of plan in regards to how we're attacking teams, and the fact that we keep going out with the same ineffective approach game after game suggests that our manager either doesn't see the problem or else doesn't know how to fix it.

Either way, it's a concern.

If we'd been playing better football and getting the same results the vibe would be much better. It just doesn't seem like we have any sort of plan in regards to how we're attacking teams, and the fact that we keep going out with the same ineffective approach game after game suggests that our manager either doesn't see the problem or else doesn't know how to fix it.

This is exactly it for me.  I wouldn't be so concerned if we'd gone to Reading, played well with some kind of plan and fluency in our passing and movement off the ball but come away with a draw.  It's the fact we looked so disjointed with no passing game to speak of and ended up fluking a draw off Ba's hand.

Really I just think we should be playing a lot better than we are with the players we have.

I have concerns about how we approach the game and I do think we should commit to 4-3-3 but what is crucial is individual performance. Some players haven't performed (notably Guttierez, of whom I am a great fan, and others such as Cabaye and Cisse), others have been injured; in any case the lack of alternatives is what truly does for us in my opinion.

We will play 4-3-3 next game. No man can watch that s**** for the past few games and think 4-4-2 works.

its not the system thats at fault, we've tried 4-3-3 and had the same problems, there is just so little urgency, movement and ideas when we get into that final third, we seem to slow down to walking pace the moment we get near the oppositions goal unless Hatem is in charge.

We've only played 4-3-3 once, which was the second half against Spurs. The games you refer to were fairly negative and defensive 4-2-3-1s, where the emphasis was on not losing the game.

At what point do people realise that last year was the freak and that we overpeformed? For where we are right now in the evolution of the club i'd be satisfied with 8th and a cup run this year.  We're still on for that aren't we?

I just think with players like Krul, Santon, Coloccini, Tiote, Cabaye, Ba, Ben Arfa and Cisse that 8th is an outrageously low expectation. That's 8 of your first 11,  a fantastic set of players. Who are these 7 teams with better individuals?

And don't forget it's NUFC who chose not to strengthen that squad because we thought we were already strong enough.

i doubt anyone at the club thinks we are strong enough but if the cisse deal taught us anything it's that maybe you can get what you want when you want, you may have to wait a little. some money is there (de jong bid etc) and i'm prepared to risk waiting to get the right player as opposed to just getting numbers in.

as for today, what we had at our disposal was more than  adequate, the tactics/formation etc weren't.

I agree Madras but there's plenty of people on here as usual who are intent on arguing entirely in favour of everything the club does even when one argument totally contradicts another - they'll argue in favour of not signing anyone but then say that Pardew's doing well because he doesn't have much at his disposal.

He has fantastic players and we pay some of the least fluent and effective stuff in the league, even with everyone fit. This is a real concern because it was evident for large swathes of last season too and hasn't been addressed.

I agree Madras but there's plenty of people on here as usual who are intent on arguing entirely in favour of everything the club does even when one argument totally contradicts another - they'll argue in favour of not signing anyone but then say that Pardew's doing well because he doesn't have much at his disposal.

He has fantastic players and we pay some of the least fluent and effective stuff in the league, even with everyone fit. This is a real concern because it was evident for large swathes of last season too and hasn't been addressed.

can't argue with that. he's taking a safety first approach (ie setting up not to get beat) when all our best stuff last season was getting after teams, fluidity, movement etc. we don't have the personnel to play well at 4-4-2. someone (i'm guessing carver or stone) really needs to ask pardew, remember that great run last season. 6 wins off the bounce, exciting football getting the best out of what we've got......why dump it ?

I don't think there's a big difference between our performances this season and last. Obviously overall results were a bit better, but we still had difficulty in retaining possession and building up play through the midfield. We tended to hit the strikers early and rely on moments of individual class to get us by.

Yesterday, we didn't just play 4-4-2, but an old-fashioned version of it, with two hard workers in CM, two wide men, and two strikers. That was partly brought about by injuries, but the preference to keep Ba and Cisse together tends to lead to a conservative formation. I'd say there are three main issues -

1) The strikers need to link with the midfield more effectively, and for that we need a more mobile, pacey player who can play in a more withdrawn position (or wider as well if we're going 4-3-3) I hope Sammy can step up to the mark for us there.

2) The balance in midfield doesn't look right, even when we go for 4-3-3. Neither Jonas nor Tiote pass the ball well or release it quickly, and that tends to slow things up when they play together.

3) Buying Anita may have sorted out the problem of a complete lack of attacking threat from right back, but perhaps Pardew thinks that, in a 4-4-2, Anita and Ben Arfa together leaves us too vulnerable defensively. Let's hope that gets sorted.

Terrible effort, IMO. We were plain lucky to get a point against a side that is bound for relegation. Coloccini and Cabaye were sorely missed. Bigi lost possession too much and both Jonas and HBA should have been more involved. Cissé is clearly out of form.

Harper 5

Perch 4.5

Williamson 6

S Taylor 5.5

Santon 6

Ben Arfa 5.5

Tiote 6.5

Bigirimana 4.5

Jonas 5

Ba 7.5

Cisse 4.5