Newcastle United 3 - 0 Bordeaux - 04/10/12 - post-match reaction from page 24

Dave

That's about as comfortable a game as you're going to get in this competition. Bordeaux were really poor, not sure if that was a scratch side for them but they lacked quality all over the park. Once the first went in I never thought they looked like getting back into it.

It was their full strength team.

That's about as comfortable a game as you're going to get in this competition. Bordeaux were really poor, not sure if that was a scratch side for them but they lacked quality all over the park. Once the first went in I never thought they looked like getting back into it.

It was their full strength team.

Fuck me.

I'd argue Bordeaux were comfortably the worst team we've played so far this season, anyone disagree? :lol:

Norwich had loads more quality, and Reading, Maritimo and Atromitos at least tried.

Yep.

Actually can't believe how bad they were. Their lack of effort and application was comical. Possibly just an off day, expect a harder game at their place.

For me that's the first game this season where we've looked like we could be arsed with it, hopefully we see the same spirit return now that benefited us so much last season.

:thup:

We really seemed "up for it". Really palpable difference. Expect we'll see the same attitude vs Man Utd.

@the_dilsh: Thanks for everyone's messages means alot,am gutted I only managed 45 mins at st James,highlight of my career and life playing there

For all the doom and gloom surrounding our backup keepers both have acquited themselves fine, hope Elliott's injury isn't bad

but stop with that!

Tonight we take two offside goals and one goal we had to put them on ourselves.

And a strike from Cabaye they have done nothing else!

I really do not see what you're so impressed with them ...

:lol:

Just got back in from the game. Really enjoyed it, very good performance from us whereas they were extremely poor until the last 10 minutes or so when we seemed to sit back. Impressed with Cabaye and Ferguson, both played well. Good game from Obertan as well, although I was disappointed that Amalfitano/Sammy didn't get a run out in the second half as Obertan + Ferguson looked to be knackered near the end. Not to sure about Anita, didn't look great tonight; has looked much better in his performances a right back this season so far. Elliot and Harper were both solid, both made a very good save.

Atmosphere in the Leazes was pretty poor and the sound didn't travel from the Strawberry corner. Bordeaux fans were really impressive though, the noise the small group of them created was amazing. We were sitting right next to them, not sure what happened with them kicking off. Seemed like it was just 1 guy trying to pick a fight with another and then a few friends starting scuffles from either sides. Stewards got it under control after a couple of minutes though.

Looking forward to the next European night now, feels good to have it back at SJP :thup:

Also glad I didn't have to listen to Waddle's tripe tonight. Shola will be 'disappointed with the finish' for the first goal. He side foots it in from a yard out? Was Waddle expecting him to lace it into the roof of the net?!

Really enjoyed that. Bordeaux were shocking, they were an absolute shadow to the side that won the league 4 years ago - oh how the mighty have fallen (which I guess was expected with Blanc's departure and with key players leaving one by one).

Shola absolutely bossed it - was my MOTM tbh with Obertan a close second - how often does that happen like?!

It's certainly the best we've played this season and I hope we continue to see the system we implemented tonight in future games (though I suspect we might change our approach on Sunday).

"We set ourselves standards last season that we've not met this season until tonight."

“I’ve been critical, more in dressing room than in the press, about our performances and I wanted us to play with more verve, energy and ambition."

"We played with verve and energy again. We looked more like ourselves from last year and the performance level was fantastic. That's a good sign.

"We had to play very well tonight to make that as comfortable as it was. I can't say the result flattered us because we deserved to win by a distance.

"The nature of the goals was clinical. Our passing in the second half made it very difficult for them to get back into the game and that's something we've been working on - controlling games.

"That's a team that haven't been beaten for 17 games or something and it's a great result for us. We've kind of been allowed to relax towards the end of that game and we need to, because we've got Manchester United on Sunday."

just got in.  Watching first half back to see the goals as I was in the Gallowgate.

Canny, like.  Surprised how relatively easy it was.  They had their moments but nowt amazing.  Seemed to fancy their luck from long range.  Everyone was just about losing their rag with Obertan when he set up Shola.

Chuffed with Cabaye's performance and it showed what he's capable of if he's allowed to play further forward.  Absolutely superb at times.

Impressed with Ferguson as well.  Didn't stop running all night.  Got a real engine on him and I'm looking forward to seeing him start more games.  Another assist doesn't go a miss either!

Was that the same streaker as Atromitos?

fuck knows but the cunt shouldn't be allowed near SJP again.  Absolute farce that he wouldn't leave the pitch and that our stewards just sat with their fingers firmly up their arse watching him act like a total fucking spanner.

Reckon they're told to leave them, not like they can escape. Shame a Bordeaux player didn't kick the shit out of them. Cunt.