Newcastle United 3 - 0 Bordeaux - 04/10/12 - post-match reaction from page 24

Dave

Guest optimistic nit

Just got back in from the game. Really enjoyed it, very good performance from us whereas they were extremely poor until the last 10 minutes or so when we seemed to sit back. Impressed with Cabaye and Ferguson, both played well. Good game from Obertan as well, although I was disappointed that Amalfitano/Sammy didn't get a run out in the second half as Obertan + Ferguson looked to be knackered near the end. Not to sure about Anita, didn't look great tonight; has looked much better in his performances a right back this season so far. Elliot and Harper were both solid, both made a very good save.

Atmosphere in the Leazes was pretty poor and the sound didn't travel from the Strawberry corner. Bordeaux fans were really impressive though, the noise the small group of them created was amazing. We were sitting right next to them, not sure what happened with them kicking off. Seemed like it was just 1 guy trying to pick a fight with another and then a few friends starting scuffles from either sides. Stewards got it under control after a couple of minutes though.

Looking forward to the next European night now, feels good to have it back at SJP :thup:

Also glad I didn't have to listen to Waddle's tripe tonight. Shola will be 'disappointed with the finish' for the first goal. He side foots it in from a yard out? Was Waddle expecting him to lace it into the roof of the net?!

He almost missed it to be fair. Nonchelant doesn't do it justice

First goal really is great like. Cabaye's ball out to Obertan, his first touch, then taking on their players and a great ball in to Shola, who admittedly will be disappointed to not have done better from a yard out with an open net.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/63305000/jpg/_63305615_ameobi_pa.jpg

Cisse has been channelling his power into Shola out of kindness.

Or..... Cisse is trying to extract some of Shola's powers into him to make him into a better player.

The only negative for me was the empty seats, 31,000 is poor.

Don't think it's that bad. Standard cup attendance. Atmosphere was decent too; wished i'd gone in the Strawberry Corner now - great effort from them lads. Definitely will for Brugges.

Is it not the 2nd time a nude man on the pitch ahs not been removed in the UEFA cup.

I thought it was a new UEFA rule dont go near them till the police arrive...then seen there were f*** all police there!

There doesn't seem to many police around inside or outside the ground these days.

Don't think it's that bad. Standard cup attendance. Atmosphere was decent too; wished i'd gone in the Strawberry Corner now - great effort from them lads. Definitely will for Brugges.

The team deserved to have been playing on front of more than 31,000, I can only guess that some might have expected us to field a 2nd team.

Did they have the higher tier open?

No but they might have been thinking about opening it if enough had turned up because I noticed a lot of stewards in level 7 about half an hour before kick off.

Some are paying through the nose on Sunday too. Not surprising they chose to miss this when its at least £40 more a few days later.

That can be a problem for some but both tickets didn't have to be bought at the same time.  I would also guess that we had thousands at the game tonight who don't go to league games so I would guess that we were easily 25,000 down.

I'm not trying to knock people for not going as loads will have very good reasons to not going during midweek.

I'm expecting a higher gate for the Brugge game. They are bringing over a couple of thousand I think and it will be nearly 3 weeks since the last home game.

Will be even higher if we rightly stuff the mackems the weekend before the Brugge game.

I'm expecting a higher gate for the Brugge game. They are bringing over a couple of thousand I think and it will be nearly 3 weeks since the last home game.

Will be even higher if we rightly stuff the mackems the weekend before the Brugge game.

I don't understand why we stick the away fans in the corner of the East Stand and leave so much segregation when we could stick them in level 7 and keep the lower tier for home fans without having rows of empty seats. 

The club might have to do that if we get close to 36,000.