Newcastle United 3 - 0 Bordeaux - 04/10/12 - post-match reaction from page 24

Dave

TBH It was miraculous that he didn't come out with "Newcastle play this high line and, for me, it's risky."

He's been moaning about it since the first home game back in the Premier League...a game we won 6-0. :lol: Fucking idiot.

Yes.

Every. Single. Time.

(or so it seemed.)

I'm expecting a higher gate for the Brugge game. They are bringing over a couple of thousand I think and it will be nearly 3 weeks since the last home game.

Will be even higher if we rightly stuff the mackems the weekend before the Brugge game.

I don't understand why we stick the away fans in the corner of the East Stand and leave so much segregation when we could stick them in level 7 and keep the lower tier for home fans without having rows of empty seats. 

The club might have to do that if we get close to 36,000.

Was just getting me tickets for the Brugges game there. Seems the away fans are being relocated for that game, as tickets are on sale to home fans in the South East corner.

Disappointed with Bordeaux tonight.  Their only tactic seemed to be keeping their wingers right on the touchlines to try and stretch our defence but they created very little.  I expected better, how bad must Brugge be to take four off that lot?

We were good without being spectacular.  The second and third goals came at good times.  After the third it became rather attritional with Bordeaux resorting to damage limitation and us content to knock the ball around like a training session.

Ferguson looked very good and played some great balls down the line although i dare say he won't want to play at LB forever.  Cabaye's quality stood out.  Obertan was decent going forward but didn't seem too fussed about chasing back when we didn't have the ball and until he "does a Ben Arfa" and changes his attitude then Pardew won't trust him with a jersey in big games.

Qualification should now be a formality.  Had a good time tonight, filled a car from Dundee, two of the guys had never been to SJP before buth both said they'd be keen to go back.

Disappointed with Bordeaux tonight.  Their only tactic seemed to be keeping their wingers right on the touchlines to try and stretch our defence but they created very little.  I expected better, how bad must Brugge be to take four off that lot?

We were good without being spectacular.  The second and third goals came at good times.  After the third it became rather attritional with Bordeaux resorting to damage limitation and us content to knock the ball around like a training session.

Ferguson looked very good and played some great balls down the line although i dare say he won't want to play at LB forever.  Cabaye's quality stood out.  Obertan was decent going forward but didn't seem too fussed about chasing back when we didn't have the ball and until he "does a Ben Arfa" and changes his attitude then Pardew won't trust him with a jersey in big games.

Qualification should now be a formality.  Had a good time tonight, filled a car from Dundee, two of the guys had never been to SJP before buth both said they'd be keen to go back.

After 2 games?

Just got back home from the game, far too p*ssed to look back through what has been said so this could well go against what everyone else had said.

- Very pleased that we played most of the balls on the deck, almost never hoofed it from back to front

- Not quite sure we deserved to win 3-0 but we had the best of the chances, they looked fairly toothless, though their fans were quality

- Obertan is very effective in these games, takes on people for fun when he gets a bit of confidence

- Simpson isn't a very good footballer when he has the ball (as if anyone needs to find out) does a decent job at the back though

- they looked pretty s****(comepletely fucking wank actually, think the streaker would have done a better job than some of them) so i'm guessing it is out of character, Ben Arfa would have took the p*ss out of them tonight

Great result

I've been waiting for Obertan to have a go on the left since he got here and I'm pleased he had a good after getting so much stick on here every time i defend him  :lol: We will see if he can get some consistency in that position.

Ferguson was great as well, love having a left footed left back.

Win our next 2 Europa league clashes at home and we should progress

Great result

I've been waiting for Obertan to have a go on the left since he got here and I'm pleased he had a good after getting so much stick on here every time i defend him  :lol: We will see if he can get some consistency in that position.

Ferguson was great as well, love having a left footed left back.

Win our next 2 Europa league clashes at home and we should progress

10 points enough to qualify generally .. would be great to finish top though

I don't know if we'll be able to reproduce it in the premier, but that's the way I like to see us play. Even though we still sat back at times, I've no problem with that if we are keeping possession and moving it around on the deck. Great team performance with just about everyone doing their part.

Is it not the 2nd time a nude man on the pitch ahs not been removed in the UEFA cup.

I thought it was a new UEFA rule dont go near them till the police arrive...then seen there were f*** all police there!

There doesn't seem to many police around inside or outside the ground these days.

Because the club has to pay for them so they go for the minimum.

I had no idea the club isn't allowed to serve drink during European games, I left Sam Jacks mid strippers for one in the ground with my mate oh how I was disappointed.

They were serving in Platinum club for the qualifier game, must just be different for Group games as they were not serving in east stand last night.

The only negative for me was the empty seats, 31,000 is poor.

Don't think it's that bad. Standard cup attendance. Atmosphere was decent too; wished i'd gone in the Strawberry Corner now - great effort from them lads. Definitely will for Brugges.

Aye, good atmosphere down there, shit songbook though.

One thing is puzzling me in particular. The source of our long ball in the Premier League has been Williamson's inability to pass it on the deck and the lack of movement from the central midfield.

Yesterday, the latter part was obviously solved by the fact that we played with three central midfielders that moved around and picked up positions all over, providing defenders with alternatives to hoofing it towards Shola or Cissé.

But Williamson had clearly been instructed to pass it sideways with patience. He even had a few forward passes on the deck that found a midfielder in space.

I know Bordeaux didn't put us under a lot of pressure, but that instruction was the foundation of us keeping the ball yesterday.

I wouldn't think Williamson has been instructed to keep the ball on the ground and just ignored it before.

Guest Roger Kint

The absence of Tiote until the last few games will play a part in that. He always makes himself available more than our other midfielders, maybe Williamson has been told to not take any risks with the ball and his idea of that is to hoof it 99% of the time rather than worry about playing it on the deck? Like you say last night it looked as though he had been told to keep it simple.

After 2 games?

Yep. The other teams are awful. I'll gladly bet you a tenner if you don't agree like?

Danny Simpson started off well, and made a block on a cross coming in from the left wing by not backing off. Then he reverted to type. Baffling.

Good game overall. Good to be back under the floodlights in midweek  :smitten:

Thought James Perch and Shola were outstanding, as was Cabaye.

I don't think we played quite as well as some people may think judging by the scoreline, it was more a case of the second goal completely stunning them into submission, after that they were under our control even if we weren't in possession.

Pard's quotes about more energy, verve and ambition was deffo palpable in the way we were passing the ball around. Great to see the defence pass it out, think Ferguson, Tiote and Cabaye made this easier to do and were instrumental in bringing the ball out.

Funny that Shola is so good in Europe, I sometimes think to myself "what the Funk has he got that keeps him here", then I see him play in Europe or against the Mackems and hope is restored for another few months...Good on ya Shola!!

My points for last Night (although viewed on stream):

Elliot (7): Excellent game and was impressed by his footwork, some good passes from goal. Typical that he gets injured.

Harper (6): A steady performance from Harps, looks like he has regained some of that form he had a couple of years ago. Still do not like how long he takes to kick it out and he is very averse to the long punt...

Ferguson (8): I really think this lad makes a huge difference to us, his energy, trickiness and good technique when bringing the ball out make him a great asset. He has looked great the last couple of games. If we revert to 442 he NEEDS TO BE OUR LEFT WINGER. If we play 433 I would have him there instead of Santon for his overlapping ability.

Perch (6): Much better game from Perch, passes ball out well but wasn't really pressurized much.

Willo (8): I have given him an eight because he gets on with it and gives his all every game. He didn't put a foot wrong last night and even passed the ball out of defence well. Please copy and paste if playing on Sunday!

Simpson (7): Without having seen Santon at right back, Simpson is without a doubt our best player for this position. He played well last night and seems to calm our central defenders, he looked in great shape considering he's been out a few weeks.

Obertan (8): He did play well last night but he still isn't taking on the oppositon enough for my liking, quite a few times I was shouting at him to take him on as he has the pace and tricks just doesn't seem to quite have the confidence. With another 5% added on to last night, he would be a superb player! P.S. Defended and covered very well last night and great counter attacking outlet.

Tiote (7): Passing was great, running and tackling also, would like to see him push on now and again as he seems to be repelled by some bi-polar "attack magnet" stuck in the opposition's area.

Cabaye (7): Whether it was because it was a french team and he wanted to impress or he is returning to form, it seriously annoys me that we have seen such sub-standard performances from him when he is capable of much better. Repeat on Sunday!

Anita (5): Didn't do a great deal last night but I suppose he was out of position. He hasn't impressed me so much, he is at the moment on a par with Marveaux in that you can see he has something but has yet to impose himself on a game.

Shola (8): Can't fualt the bloke! Excellent performance up top and when he stepped back into midfield (when he was kanckered). Ran his legs off and bossed their defenders quite a bit.

Cisse (7): Returning back to form, confidence thing for me. He tried a couple of really audacious attempts last night, speaks volumes! Roll on the Mancs, just hope him and Ba can gel on Sunday...

Bigi (8): Did really well, looks a fantastic prospect, we didn't miss Tiote at all even though the game was being played at a different pace.

Gosling (7): I thought he got into the right positions and played some neat football last night. We have to give this lad a chance, it may be he is another Guthrie waiting to happen... Patience please!

Keepers 7 - quiet night but did the basic stuff well

Simpson 7 - slotted in like he'd never been away

Williamson 6.5 - no major worries

Perch 6.5 - as per

Ferguson 8 - great going forward and lovely assist, positioning a bit suspect at times

Anita 7 - tidy

Cabaye 7.5 - very good in all that he did

Tiote 6.5 - didn't do much of notice too me

Obertan 8 - a threat all night and great play to set up the big Sho, maybe LW is his best position?

Shola 7 - standard European performance

Cisse 7 - took his goal well but I thought he was lacking in other areas

Bigirimana/Gosling - can't remember them doing anything but the foot was off the pedal by then anyway.

One thing is puzzling me in particular. The source of our long ball in the Premier League has been Williamson's inability to pass it on the deck and the lack of movement from the central midfield.

Yesterday, the latter part was obviously solved by the fact that we played with three central midfielders that moved around and picked up positions all over, providing defenders with alternatives to hoofing it towards Shola or Cissé.

But Williamson had clearly been instructed to pass it sideways with patience. He even had a few forward passes on the deck that found a midfielder in space.

I know Bordeaux didn't put us under a lot of pressure, but that instruction was the foundation of us keeping the ball yesterday.

I wouldn't think Williamson has been instructed to keep the ball on the ground and just ignored it before.

This is why I found the argument that Williamson/Krul/Simpson are unable to pass it short ridiculous, they obviously can and just need to be coached to do it. Hopefully this will finally be addressed but it should have happened a long time before now.

I agree totally.

How Cheap do the tickets have to get before we attract people to come and watch European Football at SJP??

It's embarrassing to hear the EE II EE II EE OH Chant about getting to Europe as our crowds in this competition over the years have been very poor and even under SBR didn't improve any until we were in the Quarter finals.

Did they have the higher tier open?

No but they might have been thinking about opening it if enough had turned up because I noticed a lot of stewards in level 7 about half an hour before kick off.

The lights were on in Level 7 Concourses and there were 2 stewards at each Exit in Level 7.

I agree totally.

How Cheap do the tickets have to get before we attract people to come and watch European Football at SJP??

It's embarrassing to hear the EE II EE II EE OH Chant about getting to Europe as our crowds in this competition over the years have been very poor and even under SBR didn't improve any until we were in the Quarter finals.

It's a weird one as we used to get larger when we in were in UEFA back in the day under Dalglish/Gullit/early Robson.

FC Zurich - 34,502

1860 Munich - 36,635

Troyes - 36,577 (same price)