Newcastle Utd 0 - 3 Man Utd - 07/10/12 - post-match reaction from page 38

Beren

Was so annoyed at us conceding two goals from corners; we hardly ever concede from them any more after years and years of leaking them basically every week. Since we came up I can only recall Bent's consolation in the 5-1 and Goodwillie for Blackburn in the cup last season.

The first twenty minutes of tentative play and pointless long balls lost us the game before it had even started. What followed for 40 minutes or so was relatively encouraging in patches but the sucker punch goal to knock the stuffing out of us was so inevitable it wasn't funny.

Also, today was just so totally NOT the game to bring Shola on. We needed a bit more urgency and that's the last thing he brings; then again, we had no other genuine striking options on the bench. I find it perplexing that we name Sammy as a sub every single week if we're not going to fucking play him, when Marveaux and Amalfitano can't even get in the 18.

I could understand Shola coming on if we'd tried to do what we did last year and what we did at Everton (in fact the same way we always use Shola late on, and what he has become very good at), aim for him early and fashion a chance for Ba. As it was he played as a winger up against Patrice Evra. Thoroughly bizarre.

honestly lads how different do you really think we would had played had we started in 4-3-3/4-5-1

didn't we try that vs Everton and got our asses handed to us in the first half.

With the workrate we showed in the first 15, admittedly not much.

When we got our act together and started pressing high up the pitch we forced errors and caused problems, as we did against Everton. Starting slowly has become a pattern of this season, I remember the first half against Spurs and Villa we were awful as well.

Distraction I suppose.

Silly of Pardew, I would rather he focused on why we started the game so shambolically rather than focus on an incident that had no baring on the result whatsoever.

God. How is it silly? He's just fighting his player's corner, man - as he does every single week. Good on him, it's called man-management. Every account you hear from one of our players about the manager speaks of their trust in him.

Tedious how every solitary detail of the weekend gets nitpicked with a pre-conceived negativity, every time we lose. Pardew is honest about our performances in the press, and whatever you say about his tactics, he's meticulous in his approach before (and probably after) games. I'm sure he's not going to gloss over the horrendous start when it comes to the de-brief in training.

Every interview a manager gives post-game needs to be taken with a pinch of salt these days. Frustrating when people get irritated over post-match comments (unless there's a constant excuse or bitterness in there, a la the likes of Hughes or whatever). Particularly with Pardew cos, like i say, he's generally totally honest about the performances - without absolutely laying into his players to a massive audience.

Distraction I suppose.

Silly of Pardew, I would rather he focused on why we started the game so shambolically rather than focus on an incident that had no baring on the result whatsoever.

God. How is it silly? He's just fighting his player's corner, man - as he does every single week. Good on him, it's called man-management. Every account you hear from one of our players about the manager speaks of their trust in him.

Tedious how every solitary detail of the weekend gets nitpicked with a pre-conceived negativity, every time we lose. Pardew is honest about our performances in the press, and whatever you say about his tactics, he's meticulous in his approach before (and probably after) games. I'm sure he's not going to gloss over the horrendous start when it comes to the de-brief in training.

Every interview a manager gives post-game needs to be taken with a pinch of salt these days. Frustrating when people get irritated over post-match comments (unless there's a constant excuse or bitterness in there, a la the likes of Hughes or whatever). Particularly with Pardew cos, like i say, he's generally totally honest about the performances - without absolutely laying into his players to a massive audience.

This, all of the above

Not disagreeing with you but for someone so meticulous in his approach to games, he doesn't half back the wrong horse far too often when it comes to preparing the team for a game. Struggling to think of a game this season where at least part of the pack hasn't been shuffled after an awful first half hour.

Not disagreeing with you but for someone so meticulous in his approach to games, he doesn't half back the wrong horse far too often when it comes to preparing the team for a game. Struggling to think of a game this season where at least part of the pack hasn't been shuffled after an awful first half hour.

If anything he's probably too meticulous; he worries about the strong points of the opposing team and therefore the possibility of us getting beat instead of concentrating on what we're good at/our own strengths.

If anything he's probably too meticulous; he worries about the strong points of the opposing team and therefore the possibility of us getting beat instead of concentrating on what we're good at/our own strengths.

:thup:

Guest BooBoo

We've scored one goal in the first half this season. The way we start matches is our biggest problem right now.

Hugely.

We've scored one goal in the first half this season. The way we start matches is our biggest problem right now.

Pardew just doesn't seem to be able to get it right first time, sets up team wrong then has to switch things round till it works, and hope other team doesn't score in the mean time.

Quite unbelievable to have almost no goal-mouth threat when we have 3 of the best forwards in the league in Ba, Cisse and Ben Arfa. The team should be set up to provide them with chance after chance to fill their boots. Instead, it is set up to nullify the opposition and just hope one of these will produce a moment of magic.

Utterly ridiculous, and Pardew knows it.

They were all horrendous, I can't think of one player who had a good game, special mentions have to go to Harper and Gutierrez though, Harper was woeful in all aspects, trying to take on players in his own box, horrible kicking and passing out from the back and, should have had Cleverleys cross come shot covered by being positioned correctly.

What narked me about Gutierrez was for the Evra goal he seen the run of Evra, then proceeded to point... to whom I'm not sure of to track the run, while doing absolutely nothing about it himself which led to Evra having a free run into the box. Shambolic.

Tbf the players are all told before the match who they are supposed to be marking at set pieces. If Jonas had abandoned his own man and then they'd scored instead of Evra, he'd be in line for  a bollocking.

Tbf the players are all told before the match who they are supposed to be marking at set pieces. If Jonas had abandoned his own man and then they'd scored instead of Evra, he'd be in line for  a bollocking.

Either someone wasn't paying attention when told who they'd be picking up prematch or Evra wasn't assigned a marker. Either way, it's schoolboy stuff all round.

Watching the game yesterday, one thing stuck out, our midfielders coming so deep to receive the ball, we actually start our ttacks from thirty yards out from our own goal. If we don't have Colo to bring the ball further up the field it means that we wait on midfielkders to drop and our "atacking" players are easily crowded out and the ball is lost quickly. Chieck was well below par in passing and getting caught with the ball yesterday, this just added to our problems.

The movement aswell was something we need to look at, Manu's movement off the ball was unbeleivable in the first twenty or so, even if they hadn't of got those soft goals they 99% would have scored from free play. They took their foot off the gas after that and allowed us to get into the game somewhat.

I really do think we need to play a five man midefield or 433 or whatever as 442 is becoming hard to swallow, we aren't good enough to play this against decent teams, we were dominated yesterday in the midfield through their movement, crisp passing and the fact that Rooney and Wellbeck played much deeper helped them a lot, VP (Tw*T) was the lone front runner a lot of the time. With that extra man in there we can make it more difficult for opposition and we can play possession football easier.

Praying for both Taylor and Colo to be fit for next game, would also revert to santon and simpson as fullbacks, not convinced by fergie as fullback, rather have him on left wing tbh...

Guest Roger Kint

What a fucking shambles. Defence, Cabaye & Jonas shite(ignore his two shots which are the only time he troubled the cameras) and Pardew made a huge mess of the that team/formation. Stupid prick  :(

It's a hard job Pardew has, especially considering how last season went. Other than Cabaye & Ben Arfa, who in the team can really create chances for the Dembas on a consistent basis?

Who in the team other than Ben Arfa, Cabaye & Coloccini is good enough to adopt a passing style like many are screaming for? Taking this into account, I think it's ok that we mix it up with some long balls, although we have been too reliant on them this far.

Out of the games we've played this season, and taking injuries into account, I think the team has performed as we could expect other than the Villa and Reading game, and even then we came out with a point in each game.

I think we will se an upturn in our performances in the coming games, and see us climbing the table slow and steady.

Either someone wasn't paying attention when told who they'd be picking up prematch or Evra wasn't assigned a marker. Either way, it's schoolboy stuff all round.

Jonas was defending two people/the edge of the area. His wasn't a lapse of concentration, it was a choice. Credit has to go to Evra though - it was a good run. A better organised defence would have stopped it mind, and whoever was actually supposed to be on him, f*ed up obviously.

We have a system that works, 4-3-3 with Ba on the left and Ben Arfa on the right

Pardew needs to grow a pair and pick this formation rather than sh*t himself in case Ba has a Tiote-like tantrum