Newcastle Utd 0 - 3 Man Utd - 07/10/12 - post-match reaction from page 38

Beren

Guest bimpy474

Should never concede those type of goals from corners. Sir Bob always put Shearer on the near post a few yards out not marking anyone to head those away. Hoots did the same with Carroll.

Guest firetotheworks

On the replay it's hard to see past it being Ba losing out on the headers, or Williamson/Santon mistiming their jumps. :shrug:

Guest bimpy474

Should never concede those type of goals from corners. Sir Bob always put Shearer on the near post a few yards out not marking anyone to head those away. Hoots did the same with Carroll.

You should always have player in this role on defensive corners.

Aye, defending especially, attacking too as thats where the ball goes most of the time, even in kids footy its where the ball ends up from most corners. Not exactly a secret is it.

Has this been posted? http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/oct/08/manchester-united-newcastle-united-midfield

Great article tbh and explains why we struggled so much in the first 15 mins, i don't care what system it is but we must play 3 in the middle in every game going forward this isn't the 90s any more, practically every team in the league plays 3 or 4 in the middle and we with our 2 as good as they just struggle with the numbers game and thus we cannot control games.

Has this been posted? http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/oct/08/manchester-united-newcastle-united-midfield

Great article tbh and explains why we struggled so much in the first 15 mins, i don't care what system it is but we must play 3 in the middle in every game going forward this isn't the 90s any more, practically every team in the league plays 3 or 4 in the middle and we with our 2 as good as they just struggle with the numbers game and thus we cannot control games.

Said something similar in Pards and Tiote threads. It's the modern game: movement and fluid positions with midfielders/forw playing two roles.

Well I thought Pards got the full back selection right but got it wrong going 442. It might have worked last season but yesterday we needed to be solid in the middle. Thought he bottled the decision as to who to put on the wing too. Having said that it is our poor passing that is killing us at present.

My other comment is that I sit in the East Stand and was directly behind the Cisse header. I obviously couldn't tell if it was over the line - but what I saw is the header flick Evra's hand before it hit the post. Anyone else notice this?

Thought Kagawa was sheeeeeite like.

He was dreadful on the ball but it was his clever movement that was causing us problems down our left in the opening 20 mins, kept on making sure they had an extra man and Ferguson was constantly out of position in no-man's land cos of it. After we changed formation we seemed to put more pressure on him and he wilted badly.

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2012/10/08/newcastle-0-3-manchester-united-fergusons-diamond-forces-newcastle-to-change-shape/

The home side’s problem was their attempt to replicate last season’ strategy, trying to press in an area of the pitch where they were outnumbered. In the first five minutes, Cabaye was pressing Carrick, Tiote pressing Cleverley. But there was always an easy out-ball – either one of the full-backs, or forward into Rooney, who was left unattended between the lines – as both Newcastle’s centre-backs were occupied by strikers.

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2012/10/08/newcastle-0-3-manchester-united-fergusons-diamond-forces-newcastle-to-change-shape/

The home side’s problem was their attempt to replicate last season’ strategy, trying to press in an area of the pitch where they were outnumbered. In the first five minutes, Cabaye was pressing Carrick, Tiote pressing Cleverley. But there was always an easy out-ball – either one of the full-backs, or forward into Rooney, who was left unattended between the lines – as both Newcastle’s centre-backs were occupied by strikers.

nice article

thats a brilliant site, never seen that before

In the main i'd agree, i have found in the past there is an over-emphasis on formations and tactics ( rich coming from me i know) when it's not always the reason a game is won or lost even though it was clear that it was on Sunday.

In the main though Zonal Marking are usually great at what they do.

There are limitations to focusing intently on formations and tactics, there are plenty of games won despite tactics etc, yet it's a nice contrast to the standard punditry of wondering which team is more "honest" than the other

They were all horrendous, I can't think of one player who had a good game, special mentions have to go to Harper and Gutierrez though, Harper was woeful in all aspects, trying to take on players in his own box, horrible kicking and passing out from the back and, should have had Cleverleys cross come shot covered by being positioned correctly.

What narked me about Gutierrez was for the Evra goal he seen the run of Evra, then proceeded to point... to whom I'm not sure of to track the run, while doing absolutely nothing about it himself which led to Evra having a free run into the box. Shambolic.

I don't see how nag keeper would have stopped the 3rd goal unless he had watched the highlights and then gone back in time and repositioned himself exactly under the goal post.

The game was already finished when we conceded 2 goals in the first 15 minutes. Conceding goals from set pieces point to problems in marking players and tracking their movement. We lacked organisation at the back and missed Colo's leadership. We also need better defenders than Williamsons.

The whole team was rubbish in the first 15 minutes to be honest and it seems we are behaving the same way at start of every game.

Another rubbish performance tbh, game was over after 15 minutes and Man U just cruised their way through it.

Kind of result that's been coming this season tbh, hopefully it serves as a wake up call before the game against the Mackems.

From zonal marking's review of the Spurs home match near the bottom....

Future opponents should note Ben Arfa’s tendency to leave Simpson exposed, however, and Newcastle’s capacity to be overrun in midfield with their starting 4-4-2 shape.

We've all been saying the same thing for a long damn time too.

Another rubbish performance tbh, game was over after 15 minutes and Man U just cruised their way through it.

Kind of result that's been coming this season tbh, hopefully it serves as a wake up call before the game against the Mackems.

Wouldn´t hold my breath. Been saying that all season.

Losing to Man U is never the end of the world.

The fact that the game was over after 15 minutes has to be alarming though. Had they really wanted blood I reckon they could have absolutely hammered us yesterday.

Wouldn´t hold my breath. Been saying that all season.

Luckily the Mackems have been fairly shit themselves this season, agree that I'm not too hopeful that Pardew has learned a great deal. He seemed to be attributing it to Man U being amazing yesterday rather than us being shit again, but we'll see.

Guest hydeous

Two set pieces vs Manchester Utd. Definitely not the end of the world.

I'm still hopeful of Cabaye and Tiote getting back to top form.

With the personnel we have, we should be more than capable of beating a lot of teams even with a 4 4 2. Will still love to see a 4 5 1 / 4 3 3, but I understand Pardew trying to put both our top strikers in the eleven.

We really should have had a larger squad this season though. Also, Marveux not shining is a pain because I think he'd have been a good wide forward. Cisse really isn't one. Neither is Ba, but he's still pretty good at it. I don't see Ba going back wide while Cisse is still looking for form though, because we really need one in-form striker at the top.

I admire Pardew for trying to fit things together, but things really aren't falling into place for him at the moment.

I'm sure we'll turn it around against the mackems next week.