Newcastle United vs. West Bromwich Albion - 28/10/12 @ 3pm

EthiGeordie

If he plays 4-4-2 Pardew is asking for a slating if we lose. Played 4-4-2 at SJP and lose 3-2 after being overrun all night. Switches to 4-3-3 at their place, easy win. It shouldn't even be up for debate for fuck sake, but it will be..

If he plays 4-4-2 Pardew is asking for a slating if we lose. Played 4-4-2 at SJP and lose 3-2 after being overrun all night. Switches to 4-3-3 at their place, easy win. It shouldn't even be up for debate for f*** sake, but it will be..

not really that easy as it was a nominal 4-3-3 with ben arfa and ba both dropping in a lot and cabaye often being the most forward defensive player with cisse.....the formation wasn't so much the thing as the freedom to move and not to stick rigidly to their positions.

If he plays 4-4-2 Pardew is asking for a slating if we lose. Played 4-4-2 at SJP and lose 3-2 after being overrun all night. Switches to 4-3-3 at their place, easy win. It shouldn't even be up for debate for f*** sake, but it will be..

not really that easy as it was a nominal 4-3-3 with ben arfa and ba both dropping in a lot and cabaye often being the most forward defensive player with cisse.....the formation wasn't so much the thing as the freedom to move and not to stick rigidly to their positions.

:thup: that's the thing that pisses me off the most well apart from the hoofing it's the obvious lack of movement.

I'm really puzzled with the formation tbh, when we played 4-3-3 against Bordoux it seemed like we were more assured of the positions etc. like we practiced it more than the 4-4-2 we've been playing lately. We seemed fluid and controlling, Bigirimana charged forward to support the striker but it is easy to see that his talent is at a more defensive position.

Would like to hope that we will swap to the 4-3-3 at some stage of the season, the team will click and Pardew will finally realize that the dembas doesn't work together as a two.

Probable teams

Newcastle United (4-4-2): Krul; Simpson, Coloccini, Williamson, Santon; Ben Arfa, Anita, Cabaye, Gutierrez; Ba, Shola Ameobi.

West Bromwich Albion (4-4-1-1): Foster; Tamas, McAuley, Olsson, Ridgewell; Dorrans, Yacob, Mulumbu, Odemwingie; Morrison; Long.

Probable teams

Newcastle United (4-4-2): Krul; Simpson, Coloccini, Williamson, Santon; Ben Arfa, Anita, Cabaye, Gutierrez; Ba, Shola Ameobi.

West Bromwich Albion (4-4-1-1): Foster; Tamas, McAuley, Olsson, Ridgewell; Dorrans, Yacob, Mulumbu, Odemwingie; Morrison; Long.

Cue forum meltdown.

:thup: that's the thing that pisses me off the most well apart from the hoofing it's the obvious lack of movement.

are they seperate or exclusive though...chicken or egg type of thing....the pardew imponderable....is it the formation or is it the rigidity ?

That's why Taylor should play. Poor going backwards against quick strikers but a million times better than Willo.

That's because Taylor doesn't have the turning circle of an aircraft carrier.

That spells disaster and major rage.

I sincerely hope we go 4-3-3 and just finally settle tomorrow. The main reason we've gone 4-4-2 is to get Cissé and Ba in the team. Just leave Cissé out tomorrow and give it a go.

The problem is Cisse is the one who thrives on the whole front line to himself so he can use his movement and predatory instincts to it's full potential so he thrives on 4-3-3.

Ba is the one who thrives mostly when he plays behind the main striker and feeds off those around him and thus thrives more on 4-4-2.

Neither work in 4-4-2 because they both like to do similar things and don't really compliment each others strengths and in 4-3-3 only really Cisse truly thrives while Ba's goalscoring is limited.

If there was a way we could play Ba on the left and introduce swapping of positions and real interchanging of movement then that would be the best for everyone but i don't think Ba likes the role.

are they seperate or exclusive though...chicken or egg type of thing....the pardew imponderable....is it the formation or is it the rigidity ?

It is the formation a bit because 4-3-3 allows more options for a pass and more attacking fluidity due to greater numbers while not risking defensive balance.

While in 4-4-2 the players have to be deep to stop defensive inbalance but in the process this causes the 3 portions of the team to be split up so we cannot really pass through teams and almost forces us to be direct.

I don't think the players are naturally rigid more the system forces them to be because of the players we have so we cannot be expansive in 4-4-2 and remain defensively solid at the same time.

That spells disaster and major rage.

I sincerely hope we go 4-3-3 and just finally settle tomorrow. The main reason we've gone 4-4-2 is to get Cissé and Ba in the team. Just leave Cissé out tomorrow and give it a go.

The problem is Cisse is the one who thrives on the whole front line to himself so he can use his movement and predatory instincts to it's full potential so he thrives on 4-3-3.

Ba is the one who thrives mostly when he plays behind the main striker and feeds off those around him and thus thrives more on 4-4-2.

Neither work in 4-4-2 because they both like to do similar things and don't really compliment each others strengths and in 4-3-3 only really Cisse truly thrives while Ba's goalscoring is limited.

If there was a way we could play Ba on the left and introduce swapping of positions and real interchanging of movement then that would be the best for everyone but i don't think Ba likes the role.

It is the formation a bit because 4-3-3 allows more options for a pass and more attacking fluidity due to greater numbers while not risking defensive balance.

While in 4-4-2 the players have to be deep to stop defensive inbalance but in the process this causes the 3 portions of the team to be split up so we cannot really pass through teams and almost forces us to be direct.

I don't think the players are naturally rigid more the system forces them to be because of the players we have so we cannot be expansive in 4-4-2 and remain defensively solid at the same time.

i disagree because either one is basically a 4-5-1 when out of possession. thr more fluidity we have though the harder we are to mark , the more out if oattern the oppo are when they get the ball.

Is 4-4-2 really 4-5-1 out of posession?

Sure Ba drops deep on occasion but not often and in any case there's always 3 in midfield at least in 4-3-3 and that's the key to it all tbh.

Having 3 in middle means we have more passing options and we are not overrun, that's been the problem more than anything this season not being able to control the midfield battle because basically every team has outnumbered us.

In fact i'm not that bothered about 4-3-3 anymore i just want to see 3 midfielders so we are not overrun whether that means 4-3-3 or some other formation i don't care i'm just tired of watching us struggle to string two passes together due to teams outnumbering us.

Nervous about this game - there's just something about West Brom. Then again, hopefully we have the confidence of last year's 3-1 to inspire us. If AP bothers to start wutg 4-3-3 we'll win but if he persists with 4-4-fucking-2 then it's a draw.

Mole has it spot on.  The extra man the opposition has in midfield forces Cabaye to drop deeper alongside Tiote creating a huge gap between midfield and attack forcing us to play long direct balls.  It limits our passing options drastically, Cabaye can either go horizontal to Tiote, try and push it out wide if he has an option there or hit it long to our non-target man strikers.

Going wide from that position is almost as bad as hitting it long anyway as his options will be Jonas who carries very little offensive threat these days or HBA who by this point will be picking up the ball in his own half.  When he gets the ball in our half it's a lot to ask of him to carry it all the way to an attacking position or hold it long enough for Cabaye to catch up with play before being crowded out.

edit:  This is interesting: http://www.zonalmarking.net/2012/08/20/newcastle-2-1-tottenham-pardew-switches-formation-ben-arfa-excels-in-both-systems/

This has the potential to be a pivotal point in our season imo. We've got everyone fit, Pardew can look to play a progressive system based on passing, take the risks knowing that we've got our first choice back 5 there to mop up any loss of possession. Alternatively we can start with Shola and just kick it at him and Ba so it's away from our goal, we might get the result but there's no longevity in that way of playing with these players imo.

I could see the thinking behind abandoning the 4-3-3 in favour of getting Ba and Cisse both on the pitch in their favoured position, but we shouldn't be starting Shola in a brainless 4-4-2, we're better than that.