Newcastle Utd 1 - 3 Man City - 15/12/12 - post-match reaction from page 32

Beren

Ray Wilkins having a fucking mare on SS here.

"Oh they'll miss Tiote, Cisse and Ba due to the ACoN in January". Mackem host "Cisse and Ba aren't going Ray", Wilkins "Oh well that's great news for Noocarstle then".

Literally, seconds later:

RW "Citeh will miss Yaya Toure when he goes to the ACoN, I mean they just capitulated last year without him".

Mackem Host "Thanks Ray. Though we should just clarify that Citeh won 4 out of the 5 games he missed last year".

:lol: Oh my days!

My word!

It's all very well playing 'pretty well' but there's still no clue about how to move up the pitch as a team and attack, and that doesn't change week to week no matter who we're playing.

I expect results to pick up in the new year when Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Anita are all on the pitch at the same time, and I'm still not panicking, but the improvement is only marginal isn't it?

Did we deserve anything at Fulham? Not for me. Did we deserve anything today? No, we were clearly second best.

This Jonas thing needs to stop like, it's like Allardyce with Smith all over again.

I mean yeah, we were outplayed in the first half but the second was much better. There was a desire and intensity I've not seen from us in a while. We knew we'd lose this but the manner was encouraging.

I dunno, maybe I just dont want this match to ruin my weekend. Sorry for the positivity.

Man City were shaky when we got at them.  Had a glimmer of hope around the 60 minute mark when we'd pulled it back to 1-2.  However that's when we should have changed things such as bringing Jonas off.  Honestly believe Pardew doesn't give a fuck about substitutions.  Didn't look to take advantage at all.  We didn't have much width down the right with only Simpson floating piss-weak balls in.  Really needed to attack the left and didn't capitalise enough.

Man City were shaky when we got at them.  Had a glimmer of hope around the 60 minute mark when we'd pulled it back to 1-2.  However that's when we should have changed things such as bringing Jonas off.  Honestly believe Pardew doesn't give a f*** about substitutions.  Didn't look to take advantage at all.  We didn't have much width down the right with only Simpson floating p*ss-weak balls in.  Really needed to attack the left and didn't capitalise enough.

Was thinking the same thing after we scored.

0 points.

That´s what´s matter.

But did we expect anything else regarding the result? The performance was a lot better and we deserve to feel positive about it. Do the same next week and it won't be 0 points.

And that is the problem, we haven't done it against the poorer sides all season.

And we haven't played like that all season either. The Stoke game showed promise, we won against Wigan, we played well for long periods against Fulham and we created lots of chances against a strong City today. These minor adjustments are having a positive impact (against say a month ago) and the effectiveness will follow. We have to stick with what we're learning.

Everyone takes something different from the game and yeah I'm angry that we aren't picking up points but everyone expected us to be fed to the lions today. The scoreline may suggest that but I bet the City dressing room will be full of brown underpants right now. We fought, varied the play and could/should have got more.

I saw the West Ham/Swansea games and clearly saw why we couldn't create a thing. Compare those performances to what we saw today. It's the same bunch of players. Things are being changed and are going in the right direction, it's just a shame the fixtures are tough for the next few weeks. The performance today reminded me of last season rather than the poor last two months, and that's personally why I'm feeling more positive. Like Wigan, next week is huge but I'm feeling more confident after seeing the shift and desire today.

Pardew:-

- Soft Second Goal. Santon put off by player across him.

- Look like scoring goals but conceding too many.

- Their best players played well, Yaya/Tevez.

- Cisse normally buries the chance at 1-2.

- A lot to lean on going into QPR.

- We've had some problems but it's about next game.

- We're in good shape to beat QPR.

- Both Ba & Cisse were good today.

- Fair play, Citeh played well today.

People knocking the performance today are just manic depressives. :lol:

Or can see the bigger picture, one good performance in a game you are expected to lose. Next week will be completely different and when we have played the poorer sides what have the results been exactly ?

We lost against West Ham and Swansea and look where they are in the table. Maybe on paper and recent history it looks like we should be stronger but they're up in the top half of the table for a reason.

Erase the fixtures of the last month or two and what are people's opinions of the last couple of games? Don't get me wrong, they still aren't the results we want but its what we realistically expect. It's just frustrating what went on beforehand.

Coloccini - 8. Led by example. Went up lots of times, and got the assist. Class positioning defensively.

Santon - 5.5. Positive but ultimately at fault for the two goals.

Got to comment on those two scores. There was nothing wrong with Santon's positioning for the first goal. It was a great pass and the player would have been offside if Colo hadn't played him on. Colo worries about the space behind him and often ends up out of the line.

For the second, Santon could have done better but you also have to look at Garcia's free header, courtesy of Colo and Perch. Perchy at least tried to put in some kind of a challenge, but Colo has no confidence at set pieces and didn't even put in an effort.

Santon did a lot of good work going forward as well.

Fair enough for the first goal, but I think it's a bit harsh to condemn Colo for lacking confidence in set pieces. I think Perch was really meant to be marking Garcia, which is a bit of an ask for a sub-6 foot man. Colo seemed to have another man then sensed Perch might be in a bit of trouble but was ultimately not in the position to help. Either way, I guess it was not the best decision to set Perch on Garcia.

Guest malandro

If we play like the second half next week then we'll win at a canter but will we? Ridiculous how much better we look with a central three, why have we insisted on crippling our midfield in the first fifteen games?

Our set piece work, offensively and defensively, is as bad as it's been in my  lifetime and has become a major issue. Cost us at Fulham and again today, meanwhile the opposition can afford to give set pieces away as a way of getting possession back!

Ronaldo was spot on, next week we will play a QPR who haven't won all season. They won't let us play, I don't think we will lose, but they won't let us play. The circumstances made us look good today, it's hard not to play well when down 2-0 and you have to try and do something.

We haven't shown any signs of improvement all season. The positives tbh is the adaptation of Anita who seems to be becoming the £8m player we paid for.

"if we play like that (against lesser sides) we'll be fine" is one out those sayings you hear every year when a team raises its game against a top side. Unfortunately the team in question usually reverts to type when the fear of getting humiliated is removed.

On a more positive note our performances appear to have bottomed out. Nor do the team have that look of a lost cause that sides can adopt after a long run of bad results. They still believe in themselves despite results and that's a good sign.

I'm over the moon with that performance. Fuck the scoreline, for me we saw signs of the side we know is in there given some decent direction and a good shape. Looking forward to the second half of the season now.

0 points.

That´s what´s matter.

But did we expect anything else regarding the result? The performance was a lot better and we deserve to feel positive about it. Do the same next week and it won't be 0 points.

And that is the problem, we haven't done it against the poorer sides all season.

And we haven't played like that all season either. The Stoke game showed promise, we won against Wigan, we played well for long periods against Fulham and we created lots of chances against a strong City today. These minor adjustments are having a positive impact (against say a month ago) and the effectiveness will follow. We have to stick with what we're learning.

Everyone takes something different from the game and yeah I'm angry that we aren't picking up points but everyone expected us to be fed to the lions today. The scoreline may suggest that but I bet the City dressing room will be full of brown underpants right now. We fought, varied the play and could/should have got more.

I saw the West Ham/Swansea games and clearly saw why we couldn't create a thing. Compare those performances to what we saw today. It's the same bunch of players. Things are being changed and are going in the right direction, it's just a shame the fixtures are tough for the next few weeks. The performance today reminded me of last season rather than the poor last two months, and that's personally why I'm feeling more positive. Like Wigan, next week is huge but I'm feeling more confident after seeing the shift and desire today.

IF we would start playing like this more often than not, then fair play. I´m just sick of this "well well, 0 points but plenty to build on". We have been building for years.

1-2 years ago I would have agreed with you. Now I ´m waiting for the points before I say anything. Though, lately we seems to play the ball more on the ground then just hoofing it.

In possession, our best performance in ages. Unfortunately the defending was utterly abysmal, with the same players letting us down over and over again. That Simpson short corner had to be seen to be believed.

Get your wallet out you fat fucking cunt.

In possession, our best performance in ages. Unfortunately the defending was utterly abysmal, with the same players letting us down over and over again. That Simpson short corner had to be seen to be believed.

Get your wallet out you fat f***ing c***.

Not quite accurate, Santon had worst game in ages, like one of his first few games for us. But otherwise yes.