Loïc Remy

Guest bimpy474
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I can't help but feel Remy is like Demba Ba and even Papiss Cissé. If the team is built around him things are fine, but as a contributing piece I just debate if there's enough to justify it.

Assuming they sell Fabio Borini it's a good deal, but I feel like Remy flatters to deceive slightly. He should notch 20 goals a season but he's never done that once in his career.

How is Remy anything like those two? He is a much more balanced footballer than either one of them, and the only thing he lacks compared to Ba is a little height.

I can't help but feel Remy is like Demba Ba and even Papiss Cissé. If the team is built around him things are fine, but as a contributing piece I just debate if there's enough to justify it.

Assuming they sell Fabio Borini it's a good deal, but I feel like Remy flatters to deceive slightly. He should notch 20 goals a season but he's never done that once in his career.

How is Remy anything like those two? He is a much more balanced footballer than either one of them, and the only thing he lacks compared to Ba is a little height.

His second sentence elaborates his first tbf. Doubt he was saying they are similar types of players.

Guest Nixon

Apologies I thought I had explained myself in my comparison.

Stylistically vastly different, but in terms of them thriving they need to be the focus.

I think it speaks volumes that all three have recorded their best stats when being the centre focus - Remy at Nice, Ba with us, Cisse at Freiburg.

You also to have remember that Remy's talent is based largely on hard work. He wasn't naturally gifted and very raw when he emerged from Lyon's academy. It took lots of extra work for him to get to this level and I think it shows when he plays football, there's an awkwardness.

Can't say I ever bought Remy as a balanced footballer like. Gets ball, runs at defender, cuts inside, bangs it in the net.

Pretty useful, but no better than Ba for me.

Balanced doesn't really mean better I suppose, agree that Ba is just as effective.

What I meant is that Remy can do more with the ball beyond just sticking it into the net, and wouldn't necessarily be out of place in a more supportive role. Ba kind of played that role for Cisse at one point, and while he didn't necessarily thrive on it, the team certainly did, and I think Remy could do the same with Sturridge.

Suarez has flair, creativity and tricks to add to his pace and goal scoring ability. Remy doesn't have the flair, creativity and tricks.

I'm certain Remy will score around 20 goals for them and that will be effective, but will he bring the best out of Sturridge and enable him to score as much? - probably not.

Suarez has flair, creativity and tricks to add to his pace and goal scoring ability. Remy doesn't have the flair, creativity and tricks.

I'm certain Remy will score around 20 goals for them and that will be effective, but will he bring the best out of Sturridge and enable him to score as much? - probably not.

Personally, I'm interested to see how he'd work with Sturridge, given that Sturridge is a selfish player. Suarez scored free kicks and had moments of individual brilliance which I don't think Remy is capable of, they did work well to be fair, but I do see Sturridge as being a little too selfish to form a truly effective partnership.

Teams gave Suarez a lot of respect as well which, along with his movement, opened up a lot of space for Sturridge.  I can't see Remy doing that for them.  I think he'll do well in terms of his own goalscoring but they'll be less effective as a team without Suarez.

They've effectively signed Remy, Markovic and Llana with about 60% of the Suarez money, and so talking about whether Remy can provide what Suarez did is a bit short sighted. It will likely be more spread out between a number of the attacking options they've brought in. Not looking forward to facing them under Pardew that's for sure.

They've effectively signed Remy, Markovic and Llana with about 60% of the Suarez money, and so talking about whether Remy can provide what Suarez did is a bit short sighted. It will likely be more spread out between a number of the attacking options they've brought in. Not looking forward to facing them under Pardew that's for sure.

This. They were never going to replace Suarez with a name as big as his, Sanchez seemed their only option, they dont have the pull for the best players like Chelsea or City or even Arsenal.

They can, however, spread their money on very good players like Remy and Markovic and try and build a strong squad. Will they miss Suarez? Of course,but they still have enough for a top four finish IMO.

Think he'll get somewhere around 15, only because I seriously doubt he'll play much more than 30 games.

I wonder if Rodgers wants any of these players. Rumor has it he wanted a defender a couple years ago and they signed Sturridge. This year, they've bought a host of attackers and the only defender they've been linked with has been Lovren who IMO is average at best. Think they'll run into problems this year with the more games to play unless they strengthen at the back. 

You can't simply replace a talent like Suarez.

We are not going to a sign a Suarez replacement because they don't exist, otherwise Barca would've gotten him instead for far less than £75 million.

Change the gameplan, sign several versatile attackers to increase the threat sources by taking it away from one highly lethal individual, spread it amongst several very dangerous individuals at the same time. The opposition would have little idea on who to focus their defense on as the threat could come from anywhere.

There is no 1-to-1 replacement like the microwave oven in your kitchen.

I suspect that's the reason for pursuit of Lovren as he is more of a front foot defender compared to Skrtel who likes playing deep and backing off. It'll allow to squeeze the pitch against those park the bus sides. Don't think we'll see a gung-ho approach like last season. Also, unlike last season, I can't see us playing with 2 strikers in most games...so that should help midfield control and hence defensive stability. I don't think Remy will be a starter in big games or ideal starting XI, but he'll get plenty of games. I think if he gets 10+ league goals, it means he has done well. He's the most similar striker to Sturridge in the link, and given the niggling injuries that the former picks up, he'd be a back up without having to change style of play.

Also, it's a myth that Suarez brought the best of Sturridge. Sturridge' scoring record was significantly better when Suarez was banned/unavailable or even when he wasn't knocking them in. Sterling was the one with very good understanding with Suarez, whereas Coutinho and Sturridge were more "together" .

I really hope we do a Spurs though, if it means finishing 3 points lower after selling the star player. I think Spurs' 69 points without Bale, and with all the managerial problems (being managed by Tim fucking Sherwood for half season), only 3 points behind their best ever PL season with Bale, was actually quiet respectable and decent for Spurs.

Liverpool will be very good again. No need to convince me. I can see it already. Remember when I predicted you would be amazing last season? Yeah, just making sure no one forgot about that. Can't be having that at all. I mean why should my genius go unrecognized even for one moment? Anyway, I digress, Liverpool will be really good again, and it's really sickening.

Liverpool will be very good again. No need to convince me. I can see it already. Remember when I predicted you would be amazing last season? Yeah, just making sure no one forgot about that. Can't be having that at all. I mean why should my genius go unrecognized even for one moment? Anyway, I digress, Liverpool will be really good again, and it's really sickening.

They'll be good, but then so will Man U and Spurs. It'll be a battle to finish in a CL position again without Suarez.

Personally, I think Brendon Rodgers is a great forward thinking manager, for all the shit I want to talk about them, I simply can't. He plays good football, he defends his players, and he'd much rather see Coutinho/Sterling/Saurez/Sturridge on the same pitch versus the King who'd never have Sterling/Coutinho together on the pitch for fear of too much fret and not enough tackle.

They'll be fine next season provided Sturridge stays fit. They'll still create loads of chances and Rodgers will do what it takes to play good football. If by January they aren't up to speed, fully expect them to spend cash to find the game changing player they need.

Guest firetotheworks

I don't think they'll qualify for the Champions League next season mind, but if they do I think it'll be ahead of Man United.

Personally, I think Brendon Rodgers is a great forward thinking manager, for all the s*** I want to talk about them, I simply can't. He plays good football, he defends his players, and he'd much rather see Coutinho/Sterling/Saurez/Sturridge on the same pitch versus the King who'd never have Sterling/Coutinho together on the pitch for fear of too much fret and not enough tackle.

They'll be fine next season provided Sturridge stays fit. They'll still create loads of chances and Rodgers will do what it takes to play good football. If by January they aren't up to speed, fully expect them to spend cash to find the game changing player they need.

O0

Very good post Kanji.

This with knobs on for me as well. Truly gutting to see them have the courage to appoint a manager with such vision and who approaches the game with such verve and vigour.

Never been the biggest fan of them, from the 70s onwards really, but you have to admit they look to have got this one spot on.

Biggest issue will be retaining his services, one more good season and the 'real big boys' may come a courting.

I don't think they'll qualify for the Champions League next season mind, but if they do I think it'll be ahead of Man United.

It's a lot to ask with the added CL matches, while ManU can concentrate fully on the league.