Brighton 2 - 0 Newcastle United - 05/01/13 - post-match reaction from page 45

Dave

Guest benge23

awful peformance on the pitch - mention to the quality atmoshere in the concourse before the game, least we can stay positive/ drunk or both in times like today! dont taaaake me home! ;D

Just got back to Northampton after being at the game (unfortunately my brothers now have a 3.5hr drive back to Newcastle) and I'm still angry. Just seen some of the footage on the tv and its painful - the highlights will definitely be given a skip tonight.

Less said about the game the better. Truly stuff of nightmares. Not one player deserves a mention or even a 'they tried'. How long can we continue to say they are inexperienced? Most of them have had more than enough games this season. Lots of lost little boys either too scared to move away from the spots they've been told to stand in or never in their spots to begin with. My finger of blame lies at the feet of many.

Again the officials didn't offer anything. Too many times the linesmen stood there and only flagged for something when told so by their 'Dad'. Their Dad, Lee Mack, tried everything to help Brighton. I'll need to see the incidents again before commenting but going back to show Newcastle players yellow cards whilst worse from Brighton don't even get  an advantage shown (the challenge on Shola just before Bigi's shot for example). All he did, normally when the game was still going on, was to jokingly say 'dont do that again' to an offence that he technically hadn't seen/given. I'd love to see his match report as some of his decisions were mindblowing. We can't lay the blame of defeat on the officials but they didn't help us out one bit. I'm not saying its a fix but it is the FA's cup...

Atmosphere wise, we were on the right as we looked at the pitch and it wasn't that bad. True enough it wasn't the noise of normal away games but southern games generally aren't that loud. For the first half we kept the songs going. Second half the football started to get to us and we ended up groaning and sighing rather than supporting. The last 5-10 minutes got going again but that was only to show the players we were there. I stayed to the end but walked out rather than applauding/booing, it really wasn't worth anymore effort.

As for post match Pardew, I'd like him to stand in the away end and say those things. 'Effort' is paying and making it down to Brighton for a 12:30 televised game. 'Effort' is not simply walking out of the pitch and making up the numbers. It was a bad lose and I feel obliged to be angry. However, and I'm not against the guy, his comments have hit a sore nerve and won't make him any friends. Enough of this 'injured and missing players' stuff, the players you picked were mentally nowhere near match prepared and changes were very slow to happen. Sitting there so Marv can make a fresh impact at 70 minutes? Quite frankly, f*** off ...

A mountain of things to work on this week as today was totally unacceptable. Get some players back, don't play the Ameobis, work on possession triangles, DO NOT resort to a high defensive line, get players talking and most of all prepare them for a dog eat dog and physical game. We need every single one of them to be men not boys!

Will I be there next Saturday to do it all over again, yeah definitely!!

Excellent post!

Absolutely top post. So obviously written by a real supporter and sums up how so many of us feel.

Bang on about Probert too. In a sport where the top referees so obviously display the fact that they have never played the game, this freak is probably the worst of a very bad group.

Time the game's authorities took a whole new look at refereeing and change age limits etc to allow those who have played the game to move into refereeing and not end up with strange people who for some obscure reason wish to start refereeing when they are still children.

Again - Toonpete. :thup:

Dave said something earlier about their being no money to be made, when it comes to the domestic cups. Could that be a valid point as far as Ashley is concerned? All about the PL and nout else, which is why most of us expect us to limp out of the Europa League next month. Pardew will say that his focus has to be the PL - nevermind giving the fans something back for all of the shite we've had to put up with this season so far.

Was waiting for Total Sport to ring me back earlier on tonight - was gonna go on all guns blazing. Sadly, they only had time for two Mag callers, with the rest being mackems. Presumably as Ando was on his way home. Can't ring in Monday night either as am at work. :thdn:

Yet another complete waste of time and money. The only thing more infuriating that us throwing the game is that we didn't look that much different to most other weeks while doing it.

I wish I'd never gone, personally.  Just found the whole experience completely depressing.

Yet another complete waste of time and money. The only thing more infuriating that us throwing the game is that we didn't look that much different to most other weeks while doing it.

I wish I'd never gone, personally.  Just found the whole experience completely depressing.

I'm going to Norwich next week.

Going with 3 mates I haven't seen in years though, so looking forward to it. The match is almost an afterthought, depressing. :(

I'm going to Norwich as well :anguish: £45

Today felt like the first time this season the away fans weren't with the team/manager which is either a good thing or a bad thing depending on your view point.

I just think it was a really weird away following, not all on the same page at all.

I was less annoyed by the hundreds of people who didn't seem to sing once than I was the self-appointed superfans who quickly resorted to homophobic chants once they got annoyed at the game, and I even heard a "We've got an end full of cockneys" at one point.  As I say, it was a depressing experience all round.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2257740/Alan-Pardew-blames-injury-problems-Newcastle-defeat.html

Pardew admitted his club are in a crisis. 'We had youngsters playing today who should be in the development side,' he said.

'We are missing too many of our top players and we need them back and quickly.

'Fabricio Coloccini and Papiss Cisse picked up minor injuries midweek and I couldn't risk losing them for some important Premier League games looming. In the situation we're in, the most important thing is our Premier League status.

'The truth is I've not put out our best team in a single game this season.' Goals from Andrea Orlandi and Will Hoskins saw off Newcastle, who were not helped by a second-half red card for Shola Ameobi's two bookable offences.

The Newcastle captain received a first yellow for a late dig at Adam El-Abd and a second for catching David Lopez, although the Spaniard made the most of the challenge.

'It didn't help us having to play with 10 men and I don't think the player helped us either,' Pardew said.

'He looked up at the referee and started rolling around. It was disappointing to see a fellow professional do that.' Pardew has not been past the third round in three years at Newcastle. As he headed back to the North- East, he expressed his sadness at this latest loss.

'I love this competition,' he said. 'There can't be an English manager who loves this competition more.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2257740/Alan-Pardew-blames-injury-problems-Newcastle-defeat.html

Pardew admitted his club are in a crisis. 'We had youngsters playing today who should be in the development side,' he said.

'We are missing too many of our top players and we need them back and quickly.

'Fabricio Coloccini and Papiss Cisse picked up minor injuries midweek and I couldn't risk losing them for some important Premier League games looming. In the situation we're in, the most important thing is our Premier League status.

'The truth is I've not put out our best team in a single game this season.' Goals from Andrea Orlandi and Will Hoskins saw off Newcastle, who were not helped by a second-half red card for Shola Ameobi's two bookable offences.

The Newcastle captain received a first yellow for a late dig at Adam El-Abd and a second for catching David Lopez, although the Spaniard made the most of the challenge.

'It didn't help us having to play with 10 men and I don't think the player helped us either,' Pardew said.

'He looked up at the referee and started rolling around. It was disappointing to see a fellow professional do that.' Pardew has not been past the third round in three years at Newcastle. As he headed back to the North- East, he expressed his sadness at this latest loss.

'I love this competition,' he said. 'There can't be an English manager who loves this competition more.'

As someone who worked for and wrote speeches for a politician I still have a lot to learn from this guy.

Who wants an FA Cup run anyway?

I'd just like to see us win a f***ing trophy before I die, and we've got a way better shot at the FA Cup than we do at winning the league title any time soon.

This.  Very much this.  Let's enter the Johnstones Paint Trophy next season just to get something in the cabinet that isn't in black and white.

Pardew's approach to cup games sickens me, especially this season when he moans about the Europa League, a competition we all dreamed of being in following our relegation. Cup games, especially the domestic cups, are part of the season, they're competitive games and should be just as serious as league games, arguably more so for us given how long it's been since Newcastle won a domestic cup. If we need to be put out of the FA Cup to help our league form then it shows just what a shambles Pardew has made this team become.

Remember the fury when Robson's team went out to Wolves? Too many people happy to just meekly exit every competition at the first hurdle these days, lets him get away with it.

We played a full strength squad that day.

What the f*** has that got to do with supporter attitudes?

Really? I remember people like Robert & Acuna getting fucking hammered after that game...even Bellamy for pointing at the Premier League badge on the way off at the Wolves fans. Can't remember that being accepted whatsoever.

As soon as I saw the team sheet I took the dog for a walk over the fields for a couple of hours to avoid the impending dissapointment.

Ashley needs to seriously fuck off and leave us alone now.

Travelled all the way from Oslo to watch this footballing disaster. Not easy to get tickets for away games without a season ticket, but this one went to members and I booked my ticket. Probably not the best choice I´vé taken  :lol:

There´s two things that really makes me angry about this game.

1. No heart. Young players should be desperate to show their abilities in games like this. Experienced players should take responsiblity on the pitch, lead by example and help the younger players. There was just no desire yesterday. I think Bigirimana stepped up and did okay, but that´s all. He was also the only player who looked upset about things after the final whistle.

2. Pardew. His tactics yesterday was just nothing, like it´s been for most games this season. The one thing that was very easy to spot was how we reacted to how Brighton tried to keep the ball in their own third before they picked out the right pass. Their GK and defenders played quite risky at the back, and we had to press high up the pitch for large parts of the game. The problem was, we failed to press high properly on almost every attempt. The thing we did was pushing three-four players up the pitch and that always left huge gaps in midfield. An easy pass over the top of Ameobi, Ranger etc. - and they suddenly had 40-50 meters of space to run into before any Newcastle player tried to close them down. This is basic for a coach/manager etc. I can´t believe how Pardew could not spot all this. It´s pretty easy to instruct players to press high - the worst thing you do is what we did, to press high with two, three or four players . It´s Pardews job to prepare the players for situations like this and to make sure we can handle different types of teams. A good manager prepare his team to handle all types of tactics and plays to their weaknesses. A good manager also makes changes during the game that his players benefit from. Sadly this isn´t a case at Newcastle. I think the last time we came from behind to win a PL game was West Ham away in 2010, and that was under Chris Hughton. Time is running out Pardew....