Moussa Sissoko

Skeletor
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Never been a fan of our policy of accepting transfer fees in instalments, and only coughing up (for incomings) in full. For a club which raises a transfer kitty through sales, deals like this weaken our buying power in the short-term, and stifles the efforts of ambitious managers.

Rafa, welcome to the reality of Ashley's Sports Direct United. Welcome to the arse end of club football.

Townsend was far more productive in a small period of time & has gone for how much less?

Didn't even think of this. They sold Townsend for £12m and then 6 months later bought a far less effective player (at least in terms of end product) for £30m.

Nope, but I'm 90% certain I remember a quote a few years back saying we'd only deal with fees in a one-off payment. Bringing that up and then saying, 'never agreed with a policy of accepting fees in installments' just seems wrong imo.

As Elliottman says, we only pay up front, but we accept instalments. Been the case for years. It's a swizz to make us look less cash rich than we are. That doesn't change because Rafa Benitez is managing the team.

Guest neesy111

Nope, but I'm 90% certain I remember a quote a few years back saying we'd only deal with fees in a one-off payment. Bringing that up and then saying, 'never agreed with a policy of accepting fees in installments' just seems wrong imo.

As Elliottman says, we only pay up front, but we accept instalments. Been the case for years. It's a swizz to make us look less cash rich than we are. That doesn't change because Rafa Benitez is managing the team.

I believe this is the main reason why we will show a profit for last season despite spending big.

I remember the quotes about fees... cant remember exactly when it was, but thinkit was after relegation in 2009.

Said something about now paying fees upfront, as the club was still paying fees for players who'd left (think Owen was an example) becasue of how Shepherd had structured deals.

Then it went on to say they'd accept fees in installments, as it guaranteed an ongoing income for the club.

But then, thought the Carroll fee was an exception where they demanded a certain amount of it to be paid upfront.

Never been a fan of our policy of accepting transfer fees in instalments, and only coughing up (for incomings) in full. For a club which raises a transfer kitty through sales, deals like this weaken our buying power in the short-term, and stifles the efforts of ambitious managers.

Rafa, welcome to the reality of Ashley's Sports Direct United. Welcome to the arse end of club football.

Agree with this. If it's true that we're getting the £30m in installments over 5 years, it's actually not that great of a deal for us.

Nope, the way I remember it..... we pay for incoming players in full, with a one-off payment - as you have said. But for players sold/fees received we're happy to accept payment (the full fee) in installments. Given that our transfer kittys are generated through sales surely you can recognise how this creates a short-term (perhaps convenient) cash flow problem, limits our punching power in the market, and stifles the squad building ability of an ambitious manager.

I'll remember Sissoko as being a great athlete, no doubt, but as a footballer he's always been technically frustrating with progressively less end-product the longer he's been here. His goals/assists statistics from last season were pathetic for a supposed £30 million player, and while statistics never tell the full story his actual performances often told a worse one tbh. He's probably better at this level than what we've got, aye, ability wise, but he hasn't been motivated to play for us for ages. He couldn't even produce performances consistently when he was "happy" here so what good would keeping him around this season have been? The bloke has spat his dummy all summer, he would've been a terrible influence in the dressing room if we'd refused to sell him and playing him would've sent a disastrous message to the rest of the squad who did want to be here.

Best athlete? Yup. Best player? Highly debatable statement at the best of times given his actual product. Best player for us to have kept around given the circumstances surrounding him and the club? Absolutely fucking not. Regardless of whether that money is even reinvested his position at the club had become pretty much untenable.

I'll remember Sissoko as being a great athlete, no doubt, but as a footballer he's always been technically frustrating with progressively less end-product the longer he's been here. His goals/assists statistics from last season were pathetic for a supposed £30 million player, and while statistics never tell the full story his actual performances often told a worse one tbh. He's probably better at this level than what we've got, aye, ability wise, but he hasn't been motivated to play for us for ages. He couldn't even produce performances consistently when he was "happy" here so what good would keeping him around this season have been? The bloke has spat his dummy all summer, he would've been a terrible influence in the dressing room if we'd refused to sell him and playing him would've sent a disastrous message to the rest of the squad who did want to be here.

Best athlete? Yup. Best player? Highly debatable statement at the best of times given his actual product. Best player for us to have kept around given the circumstances surrounding him and the club? Absolutely fucking not. Regardless of whether that money is even reinvested his position at the club had become pretty much untenable.

:thup:

Installments for this fee might actually be the best option. Given we (roughly speaking) made a transfer profit of between 30 and 45M this window, pushing some of this money into the next financial year is a good thing from a corporation tax perspective.

This sort of thing always goes down well on here.

Best athlete? Yup. Best player? Highly debatable statement at the best of times given his actual product. Best player for us to have kept around given the circumstances surrounding him and the club? Absolutely f***ing not. Regardless of whether that money is even reinvested his position at the club had become pretty much untenable.

:thup: exactly this

The 30million is still income in this financial year. Just the cash will be in installments. The only way this will be a problem for us is if we are relying on the cash coming in to buy players in the next window. Given that we pay in full for transfers I can't see this being a problem. Its total guess work obviously but if Rafa has been told he has all of the Sissoko fee to spend then Rafa has 30million to spend in January regardless of the amount of cash we have had for it.

Installments for this fee might actually be the best option. Given we (roughly speaking) made a transfer profit of between 30 and 45M this window, pushing some of this money into the next financial year is a good thing from a corporation tax perspective.

The p&l impact (and therefore tax impact) is all in this year, this is when we've made the sale. When we are actually paid isn't a factor.

On the earlier point on why we accept instalments, you would normally expect a discount with cash up front vs instalments, like in any business money has a time value. Our decision to pay up front and take instalments in is (on my reading) a way of maximising net transfer income in the knowledge that the club (Ashley) is in a decent cash position and has the ability to borrow from itself (Ashley's bank account) if needed. That it's some ruse to misrepresent our financials is fanciful, given how out of date those numbers are by the time they are published.

Spurs fans I know are saying they'll only have to pay 12-18mil for him, assuming he o Ly stays there for 2-3yrs, based on this: http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/revealed-how-much-tottenham-are-paying-for-moussa-sissoko-and-why-mauricio-pochettino-wanted-the-a3334451.html

"Sissoko was valued at £30million and Tottenham finally agreed to meet that price, although the structure of the payments means Newcastle would receive the full fee — in five instalments of £6m — only if he stays for the duration of his five-year contract."

Can't be right surely?!

Spurs fans I know are saying they'll only have to pay 12-18mil for him, assuming he o Ly stays there for 2-3yrs, based on this: http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/revealed-how-much-tottenham-are-paying-for-moussa-sissoko-and-why-mauricio-pochettino-wanted-the-a3334451.html

"Sissoko was valued at £30million and Tottenham finally agreed to meet that price, although the structure of the payments means Newcastle would receive the full fee — in five instalments of £6m — only if he stays for the duration of his five-year contract."

Can't be right surely?!

No it's not. We get full fee whatever happens, he stays 5 years we get it over 5 years, He leaves before that we get whatever is left then.

Can't be right surely?!

It's rubbish but whatever makes them feel better.

The player was sold for 30 million and that's what we will receive what Spurs do to get this money is on them.