Harry Redknapp

MyPalAl

Harry Redknapp: QPR boss critical of financial fair play rules

Harry Redknapp has criticised the Financial Fair Play system that could throw QPR's future into doubt if they are relegated from the top flight

Chairman Tony Fernandes has indicated he would appeal against a fine from the Football League, which would be around £54m if losses for Rangers' promotion season matched the £65.4m in 2012-13.

If the club don't pay, the league can block entry to its competitions.

"Fair play would be everyone having £30m a year to spend," said Redknapp.

Football League Financial Fair Play

Championship clubs were permitted losses of £8m (£5m funded by shareholders) in 2013-14

Clubs promoted back to the Premier League who exceeded those losses are subject to a fine.

There is a sliding scale on the next £10m of losses, with a maximum fine of £6.681m.

Once losses exceed £18m, the fine is imposed on a strict pound-for-pound basis.

Should there be an overall loss of £30m, the fine would be almost £19m. If it was £50m, the figure would be nearly £39m.

Rangers are expected to release their 2013-14 financial figures at some point before the end of November.

It has been argued relegated clubs are at greater risk of FFP penalties due to the huge wage costs associated with the Premier League.

QPR, who visit Manchester United on Sunday, were promoted to the top-flight after being relegated at the end of the 2012-13 season.

Their swift return to the top tier had the potential to cause the Football League (FL) difficulties as they could be left trying to collect fines from clubs who are no longer in their jurisdiction.

The FL governs the Championship, League One and League Two, as well as the Capital One Cup and Johnstone's Paint Trophy.

"To make it fair play we should be able to spend as much as Manchester United have spent before we play them on Sunday," added Redknapp on Friday.

"That would be fair play, wouldn't it?

"What is fair play because one club can spend £200m on a team and another might spend £8-10m on their team. That's not fair play really, is it?"

Meanwhile, Redknapp says he could sign a new contract with QPR on Friday or Saturday.

The 67-year-old former Tottenham manager has been in charge at Loftus Road since November 2012.

"Maybe today or tomorrow it will get done," said Redknapp.

Fucking cockend.

He's obviously a bellend but he has a point FFP has more or less made football stagnant in terms of who the status quo will be.

He's right about it being more fair if every club had the same amount of money. Not sure it quite follows that any lesser measure is bad though.

He's obviously a bellend but he has a point FFP has more or less made football stagnant in terms of who the status quo will be.

I'm not too bothered about that tbh. I don't particularly like mid range outfits like Man City and Chelsea being transformed into super clubs just because some billionaire owner swans in from abroad to blow his wad.

Redknapp should be an international manager. No buying of players involved to fuck things up with.

I agree, as long as it's not of England.

For what reason would you not want him to be England manager? I mean, most of the reasons we hate him is due to his constant tapping up of players

Personally, at a strictly managerial level I think he's proven he is a decent coach that generally plays a style of plays that's easy on the eye. He also comes across as quite passionate about the game. I think he could be one of the few capable of bringing some fluidity out of the national team.

Redknapp should be an international manager. No buying of players involved to f*** things up with.

I agree, as long as it's not of England.

For what reason would you not want him to be England manager? I mean, most of the reasons we hate him is due to his constant tapping up of players

Personally, at a strictly managerial level I think he's proven he is a decent coach that generally plays a style of plays that's easy on the eye. He also comes across as quite passionate about the game. I think he could be one of the few capable of bringing some fluidity out of the national team.

Would love him as England coach.

I'm not too bothered about that tbh. I don't particularly like mid range outfits like Man City and Chelsea being transformed into super clubs just because some billionaire owner swans in from abroad to blow his wad.

So we just sit back and accept Man U & Arsenal every year? That's what it had pretty much come to before Abramovich for about 7-8 years.

Guest Number 37

He had no problem with it last season. A championship outfit with a higher wage bill than the Spanish champions and Champion's League finalist. I think it's clear that QPR will not pay the fine they owe, hope they get relegated....to the Conference  >:D

So we just sit back and accept Man U & Arsenal every year? That's what it had pretty much come to before Abramovich for about 7-8 years.

Yes but we were up alongside Man U and Arsenal before Abramovic or the Arabs bought in to Chelsea or Man City. These new owners are distorting the natural order of English football.

We were still behind them and never realistically likely to overtake them.

There shouldn't be a natural order anyway. Why should it just be the same 2-3 clubs all of the time? Oil money is one thing I've never had a problem with. The crap Man City fans endured, they deserve their moment and it was only ever going to happen the way it did.

What a tit this bloke is!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...er-Crouch.html

Harry Redknapp has reassured Queens Park Rangers fans by insisting he will sign a new contract imminently.

The R's boss revealed three weeks ago that a new two-year deal had been offered.

Although Redknapp has not signed on the dotted line yet, he remains relaxed about the situation and claims it is just a formality.

The former Tottenham manager said: 'Yes, I haven't signed it yet. I could do it today. I just need to get down to the ground and get it signed. It's all been drawn up.'

Redknapp's side host Stoke this weekend and the 67-year-old revealed that he has made moves to sign their striker Peter Crouch.

QPR are woefully short of options up front after losing Loic Remy to Chelsea during the summer transfer window.

Harry Redknapp: I would love to have Peter Crouch at QPR

On Crouch, Redknapp added: 'He started at QPR and I took him to Portsmouth from here.

'I've managed Crouch at most places I've been to.

'He's a player we've spoken about a few times - you'd always have Crouchy, he's a great bloke and a great player - but nothing came of it.'

One player that Rangers were able to sign in the summer transfer window was midfielder Sandro, who arrived on deadline day for £10million from Tottenham, and Redknapp said Spurs rejected 'four or five million more' from Russian club Zenit St Petersburg.

'I was surprised we were able to get him to be honest, and that he wasn't playing more,' said the one time West Ham manager.

'I think Tottenham turned down a big bid from Zenit just before the start of the season.

'It was certainly four or five million more than we paid for him.

'So I couldn't be more pleased to have him, he's a great character, a good lad and I think he'll be a great player for QPR.'

Redknapp added though the Sandro still needs time to reach full match fitness.

'I don't know long he'll need to be up to full speed,' said the Rangers boss.

'But he hadn't played at all and there's nothing like matches, until you get on the pitch you can't bring it all together.

'It's taking on the nerves, the adrenaline, all the training in the world doesn't compensate for playing in 90-minute games, and that's what several of them lacked.

'Sandro will be fitter against Stoke than he was last week and he's going to be a great player for us.'

Saturday's clash with the Potters also sees former Rangers manager Mark Hughes return to Loftus Road, and Redknapp said the Potters' boss must be held responsible for his unsuccessful spell at the club.

He said: 'Mark will take blame for what happened here - manager's have to. It didn't work out for him here, but that's football'

• 3 months later...