Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa joins AS Roma then Lyon

KaKa

Guest neesy111

You've got to look at the CB's as a partnership, the best partnership we had was Williamson next to Mapou last season based on the goals conceded during this time.  Their games complement each other.  You don't pick to CB's who are exactly the same, that is what we get with Taylor next to Williamson.

He already proved himself to be a good premier league defender. Our best run of form came with him at CB.

Not his fault he's been given so few chances, as I said 2 losses in 9 starts at CB last season.

But I suppose we should prefer championship standard Williamson and Taylor plus passed it Coloccini.

He already proved himself to be a good premier league defender. Our best run of form came with him at CB.

He absolutely has not, and you know it. And no it didn't.

Except it did, Pardew won manager of the month with him at CB.

Mbiwa is the last defender we should be looking to off-load. Actually we should be looking to build a partnership with him and a new physical defender that does what Williamson does well + ability to pass the god damn ball like a normal person.

He absolutely has not, and you know it. And no it didn't.

Except it did, Pardew won manager of the month with him at CB.

He played two games at CB during that 'run'. :lol:

I can name 5 good performances alongside Williamson we had last season.

Beat Spurs, beat Chelsea, Beat Hull away, draw with Liverpool ( I know he got sent off but was hardly his fault with Tiote playing everyone onside, didn't look like scoring up to that point) and City in the cup which we should have won, falling in extra time.

Not enough to suggest he's worth persisting with apparently, the only time he really disappointed at CB last season was Everton away.

Meanwhile I couldn't count on two hands the amount of times the other defenders have disappointed. :lol:

Beat Spurs, beat Chelsea, Beat Hull away, draw with Liverpool ( I know he got sent off but was hardly his fault with Tiote playing everyone onside, didn't look like scoring up to that point) and City in the cup which we should have won, falling in extra time.

Not enough to suggest he's worth persisting with apparently, the only time he really disappointed at CB last season was Everton away.

Meanwhile I couldn't count on two hands the amount of times the other defenders have disappointed. :lol:

3 good games plus Spurs & 40 minutes against Liverpool. I'm loathe to include Spurs because they had about 30 shots, we were hardly water tight, but a clean sheet is a clean sheet I suppose. In truth, I don't think we've seen enough of him at centre half in the league to say for sure if he's any good or not, but we've seen plenty of the other three to suggest they aren't. When a team went more physical, as Everton did, he really struggled, and from the games you've listed they are teams who generally get the ball down and play. I can't see us buying anybody better than him so for that reason he's definitely worth giving another go.

3 good games plus Spurs & 40 minutes against Liverpool. I'm loathe to include Spurs because they had about 30 shots, we were hardly water tight, but a clean sheet is a clean sheet I suppose. In truth, I don't think we've seen enough of him at centre half in the league to say for sure if he's any good or not, but we've seen plenty of the other three to suggest they aren't. When a team went more physical, as Everton did, he really struggled, and from the games you've listed they are teams who generally get the ball down and play. I can't see us buying anybody better than him so for that reason he's definitely worth giving another go.

IIRC and its very possible that I don't recall correctly, didn't Spurs just do that thing they always did under AVB of having the ball for ages but not creating anything and then taking a long shot against us?

Guest bimpy474

IIRC and its very possible that I don't recall correctly, didn't Spurs just do that thing they always did under AVB of having the ball for ages but not creating anything and then taking a long shot against us?

Erm, no they utterly battered us and Tim Krul did his best Superman impressions from all ranges.

Erm, no they utterly battered us and Tim Krul did his best Superman impressions from all ranges.

Iirc Krul holds the record for most shots saved in a match at 14 in that game?

Guest bimpy474

Iirc Krul holds the record for most shots saved in a match at 14 in that game?

Aye, from when they started recording the amount of saves, since 2006 ? i think.

Just strikes me as a player who has always got a mistake waiting to happen (which you could probably say about all our CBs in fairness). Given he's unlikely to be first choice under Pardew, can see why Pards is trying to shift him given the high wages.