Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa joins AS Roma then Lyon

KaKa

He's been messed around far too much, still think he's a quality defender.

I thought he was as well, but there's no excuse for not performing in the French league. I wonder if he's gone off the rails somewhat?

I thought he was as well, but there's no excuse for not performing in the French league. I wonder if he's gone off the rails somewhat?

Probably, he is a fucking weirdo after all.

A freak.

I do wonder how he and Mbemba would've fared in a partnership. Oh well. We have Colo and Willo to help me sleep warmly at night.

Not very good imo. Similar strengths and weaknesses.

We could try a high defensive line though. But would be similar to how it is now in terms of dealing with aerial balls.

By the sounds of it he never planned to go back to France, it was a last minute deal. So much moving around must be mental.

Was one of the ones who dared to question Pardew, therefore was forced out.

Marveaux, Santon, Ben Arfa and him were all guilty of not being one of the lads with Coloccini and Krul etc.

A freak.

I do wonder how he and Mbemba would've fared in a partnership. Oh well. We have Colo and Willo to help me sleep warmly at night.

Not very good imo. Similar strengths and weaknesses.

We could try a high defensive line though. But would be similar to how it is now in terms of dealing with aerial balls.

I'd take those two over Colo or Willo in there, tbh.

Marveaux, Santon, Ben Arfa and him were all guilty of not being one of the lads with Coloccini and Krul etc.

Santon's situation was so strange, went from absolute nailed on certainty at left back to being forced out really quickly

His replacement for Roma didn't look too clever from what i saw last night mind, the defending for one of Hernandez goal was an absolute joke.

There's quite a lot that don't tbf, Cabaye is one example.

Not sure if he questioned him or he was just too technical a defender for Pardew to understand.

Santon's situation was so strange, went from absolute nailed on certainty at left back to being forced out really quickly

I think thaT it was a board decision with Santon to force him out because we had three left backs.

Nah, man. You might have ended up being proven right but there's not enough evidence to support what you're saying. Most of it is based on not getting in a side that Alan Pardew managed. When he played there were issues but he didn't do too badly overall. Should have been given a proper run in the team and would have if Coloccini had left as seemed inevitable at the time.

End of the day when he was with us he was miles better than Williamson and had youth on his side to get some experience, he had games where he was better than Colo as well, which isn't saying much I admit.

Whatever you think of the lad he should still be here and Williamson should be playing for fucking Scunthorpe or something.

He was shipped without being given a proper crack of the whip by a shit manager.  End of story.

Things like that can fuck players up long term.

Chancel's better.

Agree, although I think they're different. Mapou is capable of some great stuff with interceptions and on the ball. Not that he showed it here obvs.

I think they're more similar than different. Mapou perhaps quicker, Chancel stronger but both seem to be footballers first and defenders second. Both pretty weak in the air for CB's. Neither physically imposing.

Chancel's better.

Agree, although I think they're different. Mapou is capable of some great stuff with interceptions and on the ball. Not that he showed it here obvs.

I think they're more similar than different. Mapou perhaps quicker, Chancel stronger but both seem to be footballers first and defenders second. Both pretty weak in the air for CB's. Neither physically imposing.

Don't think Mbemba struggles with the physicality of the league. His decision making isn't always great but it's considerably better than his predecessors.