Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa joins AS Roma then Lyon

KaKa

He is now performing at a worse level in France than he was previously.  I know you have an obsession with Mbiwa's lack of physicality, but Mbiwa was widely regarded as a top defender in France before he came to us.  He now appears to be struggling in the same league.

Guest firetotheworks

I don't think there's any real reason to try and excuse his shit performances for Lyon or whoever else to try and gain confirmation on any opinion that you have on him either way. Whether he went onto become Baresi or Boumsong, the point will always remain that he wasn't given anywhere near the chance that he should have been given here. I don't really think that's debatable.

He is now performing at a worse level in France than he was previously.  I know you have an obsession with Mbiwa's lack of physicality, but Mbiwa was widely regarded as a top defender in France before he came to us.  He now appears to be struggling in the same league.

:carverlick:

Not really sure how you can argue with the bit you've helpfully bolded.

Doesn't his lack of success thereafter in "inferior" leagues indicate there was a valid reason for his lack of chances?

Definitely not, if you sign a player for a decent fee at the top of his game, he at least deserves a good run in the side to adapt and start performing. If he isn't, take him out, work on weaknesses then go back in again with another lengthy run in the side. Yanga was messed about so badly with us, infuriating.

Fact he's not stepped up since leaving is irrelevant imo. I don't even think he had a bad spell at Roma judging off reports though.

Not really sure how you can argue with the bit you've helpfully bolded.

Well I certainly don't have any obsession with him. In fact I advocated starting him almost as much as anyone (except for Ian W and the right of the 'if he's small and/or weak he must be really good' brigade). Unfortunately we've seen a fair bit of the shitty end of the stick when it comes to buying players rated highly in France so that statement alone is pretty tenuous. It was quite a stupid/lazy signing given our requirements for a dominant, physically capable CB.

• 3 weeks later...