Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa joins AS Roma then Lyon

KaKa

Reading a few Roma forums last season and a lot of them seemed to think he was rubbish.  Still wish we'd kept him though.

The only people who ever claimed Mapou was playing well for Roma were Newcastle fans...

Aye he was s**** except for the performances in Seria A leading to Roma finishing 2nd, Mapou himself scoring a last minute winner against Lazio in the derby. And some decent appearances in the CL against Man City. That's off the top of my head.

So 3 specific examples of games you saw, only one of which they actually won and one where his main contribution was not defensive. Sorry for believing the words of the people who regularly watch him.

You're an idiot.

Typically mature response! Let's be honest, you'd already decided he was gonna be a star for Roma the second he left us so why bother acknowledging the opinions of Roma fans and the fact they've sold him after one season.

Or lets look at the fact he's played for Roma and now Lyon. Both in the CL.

Reading a few Roma forums last season and a lot of them seemed to think he was rubbish.  Still wish we'd kept him though.

The only people who ever claimed Mapou was playing well for Roma were Newcastle fans...

Aye he was s**** except for the performances in Seria A leading to Roma finishing 2nd, Mapou himself scoring a last minute winner against Lazio in the derby. And some decent appearances in the CL against Man City. That's off the top of my head.

So 3 specific examples of games you saw, only one of which they actually won and one where his main contribution was not defensive. Sorry for believing the words of the people who regularly watch him.

You're an idiot.

Typically mature response! Let's be honest, you'd already decided he was gonna be a star for Roma the second he left us so why bother acknowledging the opinions of Roma fans and the fact they've sold him after one season.

Or lets look at the fact he's played for Roma and now Lyon. Both in the CL.

Not sure how Mapou taking a sideways (arguably backwards) step to Lyon is proof he was excellent for Roma.

Not sure how Mapou taking a sideways (arguably backwards) step to Lyon is proof he was excellent for Roma.

Because surely Lyon scouted him, and if he's as terrible as you are trying to make out, then why have they paid over 8-10mil euros for him.

Because surely Lyon scouted him, and if he's as terrible as you are trying to make out, then why have they paid over 8-10mil euros for him.

I'm not making out he's terrible at all. All I said was that he wasn't the great success at Roma that many of our fans like to think he was (hence his move after one year and mixed opinions amongst Roma fans).

I'm not making out he's terrible at all. All I said was that he wasn't the great success at Roma that many of our fans like to think he was (hence his move after one year and mixed opinions amongst Roma fans).

Ah right, just like I never said he would be a star at Roma, or a great success. Nice one.

Ah right, just like I never said he would be a star at Roma, or a great success. Nice one.

You reacted angrily when I suggested he hasn't been a great success at Roma, but apologies if I misunderstood your opinion of him.

Come on... he hasn't succeeded in England or Italy and he's back in France by 26. It hasn't gone well for the lad.

The attitude was "look he's gone to a better club, we are useless" but he's on his bike  back to an inferior league only 12 months later. Time for some humble pie.

Hey pal he's just joined a Champion's League club.

Probably wanted out of Italy because the fans were showing up to games "blacked up".

:razz:

Come on... he hasn't succeeded in England or Italy and he's back in France by 26. It hasn't gone well for the lad.

The attitude was "look he's gone to a better club, we are useless" but he's on his bike  back to an inferior league only 12 months later. Time for some humble pie.

Probably wanted out of Italy because the fans were showing up to games "blacked up".

It's a backwards move which ever way you look at it. Gone to an inferior league, to an inferior side.

It's a backwards move which ever way you look at it. Gone to an inferior league, to an inferior side.

A convenient, Ashley-esque narative which glosses over the fact that he did pretty freaking well in his time at Roma.

Is the French coach still at Roma? Even stranger move if so. Don't suppose Roma have signed anyone/lined anyone up to fill the squad spot?

More than one reason a player might leave a club.

Yes he's still there. They are after Zouma, Rudiger or Sakho if rumours are to be believed.

Sounds like he was told to move by Roma. Said the move was a surprise to him.

If he did so well, he wouldn't be leaving for similar money to an inferior league and side.

Aye, because transfers in the Serie A have always made total sense. The league has always had serious issues with recycling and longevity. Their managerial rigmarole makes our very own look like a weekend circle jerk.

If Roma thought Yanga-Mbiwa was a poor player, they likely just would not have played him. Doing so cost them a fairly significant amount of money. As it happened, he started 30 times for the club in Serie A, Champions League, and Europa League. I don't follow Roma to enough of a level to write a detailed summary of his performances, but he seemed to fit in well enough on the occasions I watched him. As for this move, Mapou wants to make the EURO 2016 squad, and Lyon is a very good move for him. They finished second and genuinely challenged PSG last season, qualify directly to the CL group stages, and have strengthened in this window. The likes of Lacazette and Fekir are staying, and he complements players like Valbuena and Rafael who have just arrived. To paint this as some sort of massive drop from Roma is silly.

Just like many of the younger french players that left, ones who captained their club or showed tremendous potential tend to be well-thought of. He's still highly regarded in France.

He did pretty damn good over at Roma tbf, and scored that goal versus Lazio.

If Roma thought Yanga-Mbiwa was a poor player, they likely just would not have played him. Doing so cost them a fairly significant amount of money. As it happened, he started 30 times for the club in Serie A, Champions League, and Europa League. I don't follow Roma to enough of a level to write a detailed summary of his performances, but he seemed to fit in well enough on the occasions I watched him. As for this move, Mapou wants to make the EURO 2016 squad, and Lyon is a very good move for him. They finished second and genuinely challenged PSG last season, qualify directly to the CL group stages, and have strengthened in this window. The likes of Lacazette and Fekir are staying, and he complements players like Valbuena and Rafael who have just arrived. To paint this as some sort of massive drop from Roma is silly.

:thup:

14 clean sheets in 31 appearance in all comps for Roma. Playing with admittedly better defenders in Castan, Astori and Manolos as a CB partner, but hardly a weak link in the XI?

But aye, doesn't look like it went for the lad at all. Williamson-esque if anything.