Who would you go for?

BONTEMPI

Would deffinitely wait until the summer, if it meant getting Tuchel

Record doesn't really leap out at me, what's so special about him?

More so his tactical flexibility and ideas than anything else and shown ability to improve players.

I remember reading a good article about him, I'll see if I can find it.

Like a lot of these names though it seems too good to believe.

Of the limited number of managers who would work for Ashley and the paltry salary he apparently pays, I'm not that against Sherwood and Sir Les. Sherwood did reasonably well at Spurs and certainly tried to play some attacking football. We could do and well might end up with someone a lot worse.

I like the fact he uses inovative training methods, he seems to have natural intelligence, and has been able to change formation and adapt to situations, while apparently keeping an attacking emphasis.

What a daft cunt, he should fuck off for half the week to see his family instead of doing his job. Forrin mug.

More so his tactical flexibility and ideas than anything else and shown ability to improve players.

I remember reading a good article about him, I'll see if I can find it.

Like a lot of these names though it seems too good to believe.

Found it http://bundesligafanatic.com/tuchel-modern-tactics-mainz05/

Like I said though the likelihood of it is slim to none so I wouldn't get too excited :lol:

http://www.dw.de/rule-breaker-tuchel-leads-mainz-into-a-league-of-their-own/a-17503661

Mainz are within touching distance of a place in the elite club of the Bundesliga ‘top-four'. They are three points behind Bayer Leverkusen in fourth with a single point cushion in fifth place from other teams eying the European competitions.

But while the prominent rise of Mainz should be of little surprise considering their regular status in the Bundesliga, the Rhineland-Palatinate side continue to push the boundaries. Coach Thomas Tuchel – and General Manager Christian Heidel – have been crucial in this ascent; Mainz has been thriving, whilst traditional German clubs, such as, Hamburg and Werder Bremen have slipped towards the drop-zone.

Tuchel's appointment in August 2009 came around in unusual circumstances. Heidel decided to sack coach Jörn Andersen who had guided the club back to the Bundesliga after a small spell in the second division.

It was quite ground-breaking from FSV: the successor in Tuchel had no Bundesliga playing experience, no coaching experience and was only employed by the club for 12 months.

In an exclusive talk to an elite audience of sports experts and professors back in 2012, he explained his early management philosophy and how he prepared his squad for each Bundesliga game.

Just days after a German Cup exit back then, Tuchel revealed he felt it was the "ideal" time to take over Mainz as a less experienced coach. He decided to take the players on a training camp outside of Mainz to escape the media and supporter pressure. This gave Tuchel the prime opportunity to understand his players better.

One problem Tuchel identified was the lack of team-ethic among the squad. Players would arrive at differing times for meals and lack the "respect" of waiting until others had finished. He sought to change this without appearing a control-freak and ruining his new relationship with the squad.

"I hadn't even started on my main course yet, when half the team had already finished their meal and left," Tuchel explained. This was the main reason for the change in coach, according to the Mainz trainer. As he inherited a squad with little team camaraderie, Tuchel gradually implemented some rules over the team's meal-time to encourage that players wouldn't leave the meal table until after 20 minutes.

Gradually, these "manners" became a natural thing among the Mainz squad and this is something Tuchel stresses in his pre-meal talks.

Cutting-Edge Football

Although Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund have advanced the ‘counter-pressing' strategy in recent years, Tuchel believed Mainz were "ground-breaking" in their first season back in the Bundesliga.

Thomas Tuchel and Andreas Ivanschitz in their Mainz days together.

Tuchel's tactical-flexibility has been, perhaps, most prominent against Bayern Munich. Mainz have won three of the last nine games against the Bavarians when Tuchel has been in charge, but have lost their last three against the invincible Bayern of the past two seasons.

Mainz defeated Bayern 2-1 in Tuchel's first encounter with the record holding German champions using a 4-1-4-1 formation to counter Louis van Gaal's 4-3-3 system. Meanwhile, He also masterminded a 3-2 win over Bayern the following season with a 4-3-2-1 structure.

Even then Bayern boss Heynckes said Tuchel was "destined" to train the record-winning German champions one day.

Tuchel's focus in training is based around ‘rhomb-training' with the pitch dimensions being cut to resemble a diamond-shape in order to cut out long-passes down the touchlines. The Mainz squad are accustomed to training in different shapes on pitch sizes varying from rhomb to circle, or 18m wide x 75m length and 30m length x 70m wide. He calls it a “systematic approach” with his preferred formation on a matchday mirroring – and countering - how the opposition line-up on the park.

Before an away match at Werder Bremen, Tuchel explained how Heidel confronted him over six changes made to the starting line-up. The Mainz coach wasn't taken aback by the questions, but insisted he wouldn't make changes without any thought or strategy behind them.

Accepting mistakes

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."

The above quote is synonymous with the legendary basketball player Michael Jordan. Tuchel referred to Jordan's inspiring words after Mainz were embarrassingly dumped out of the UEFA Europa League to Romanian minnows Gaz Metan. Mainz had finished fifth the season before and had been dealing with changing expectations from supporters and the media.

But there were other problems which Tuchel elaborated on after the defeat. Mainz - with their smaller resources - were forced to fly to Frankfurt Hahn airport rather than the International airport in the city. It was a far cry from the luxury experienced by other German clubs on European trips.

Deflated and shattered of morale following three earlier Bundesliga games without a victory, Tuchel stayed awake the whole night to think of something unique to re-motivate his players. He used the Jordan quote instead of video analysis of the European defeat, stressing how the NBA great was “the most successful team player” and that failure was part of professional sports.

Less than 24 hours later, Mainz broke their early season duck with a 2-0 win over Bayer Leverkusen.

Facing the Best

Bayern have not lost in their last 50 league matches and have won 17 consecutive matches in the Bundesliga. If results go their way in Hannover and at Schalke, Bayern could even secure their 24th championship at the Coface Arena – the earliest in half a century of the league.

But for the home side, perhaps, the stakes are higher with the club sitting on the fringes of a Champions League slot. Although there is still eight matches remaining, Mainz have shown their ability to churn out consistent results against-the-odds.

While the results will be won on the pitch, the work of their "rule-breaking” head coach may be the biggest asset at their disposal.

Of the limited number of managers who would work for Ashley and the paltry salary he apparently pays, I'm not that against Sherwood and Sir Les. Sherwood did reasonably well at Spurs and certainly tried to play some attacking football. We could do and well might end up with someone a lot worse.

The "paltry" salary would probably be a significant pay increase for a lot of the continental coaches.

I'd be happy with that. Seemed to have a good record at Spurs and gave outcast players a 2nd chance.

Galtier is a very negative manager isn't he? Somebody has called him the French Pardew before here. I don't really know as I don't watch Ligue 1 though

Only PSG and Monaco scored more goals than Saint Etienne in Ligue 1 last season.

Turned a perennial bottom-half team into a CL contender. Qualified for Europe in 2012/13 and 2013/14, currently 4th in the league. Won the French League Cup in 2012/13, and they routinely have one of the best defenses in the league statistically.

He seems to be quite mouthy and rates himself highly, so can't see him working under the constraints he'd have here. He's not in the running IMO.