Who would you go for?

BONTEMPI

I think Moyes would seriously consider it if it were offered to him. He knows that none of the top 4 or 5 are going to come near him after his balls up with Man United, Everton won't want him back with Martinez in charge, after that we're probably one of the biggest clubs he could work for now. The only reason he wouldn't take it is because of the fat cunt in charge.

A lot of the good appointments over the last few years have been promising young managers on the up and involved thinking outside of the box. Martinez, Rodgers, Pocchetino etc.

This is what I don't understand about the "there's nobody available" argument. What people mean is they can only think of about 5 managers currently out of a job who are usually on the British manager merry-go-round. Who knew about Rodgers when he was coaching Chelsea's reserves or Pocchetino when he was at Espanyol? Few I'd imagine. There's got to be literally hundreds of coaches/managers working with less resources, on less money who'd kill for a PL job. The Premier League is a cash bonanza because of the TV money, even at a club with tightarse c*** owner like ours gets more freedom on transfers and wages than many clubs across Europe and in the lower leagues. Other than the Russian Premier League, PSG and the top 2 in Spain most of Europe is running on a net transfer profit.

There's an argument that we need somebody with experience in the PL already to steady the ship but I'm not sure. I just want somebody who has coaching ability, a vision and a personality to back it up. Poyet kept the mackems up after they gave the rest of the league an 8 game head start, any decent t*** could keep us up imo.

Completely agree, and also think it's stupid that callers on phone-ins get asked "but who would you go for" as if it's their job to know about all these managers of La Liga and Ligue Un clubs.

I'm more reluctant than almost anyone to change the manager, but Pardew has had a number of years now. Stability isn't an argument that makes any sense any more.

Although it did before, so I was right

Mike Ashley. He'll not pay out any sum of money for a manager, that I am certain. That rules out a lot of managers.

Mike Ashley. His imagination runs as far as Joe Kinnear.

FWIW Poyet would've been in the running when he was a free agent.

A lot of the good appointments over the last few years have been promising young managers on the up and involved thinking outside of the box. Martinez, Rodgers, Pocchetino etc.

This is what I don't understand about the "there's nobody available" argument. What people mean is they can only think of about 5 managers currently out of a job who are usually on the British manager merry-go-round. Who knew about Rodgers when he was coaching Chelsea's reserves or Pocchetino when he was at Espanyol? Few I'd imagine. There's got to be literally hundreds of coaches/managers working with less resources, on less money who'd kill for a PL job. The Premier League is a cash bonanza because of the TV money, even at a club with tightarse c*** owner like ours gets more freedom on transfers and wages than many clubs across Europe and in the lower leagues. Other than the Russian Premier League, PSG and the top 2 in Spain most of Europe is running on a net transfer profit.

There's an argument that we need somebody with experience in the PL already to steady the ship but I'm not sure. I just want somebody who has coaching ability, a vision and a personality to back it up. Poyet kept the mackems up after they gave the rest of the league an 8 game head start, any decent t*** could keep us up imo.

Feel like I am endlessly repeating myself on this, but Ashley really should be looking at managers like Paco Jemez, Thomas Tuchel etc.

I think Moyes would seriously consider it if it were offered to him. He knows that none of the top 4 or 5 are going to come near him after his balls up with Man United, Everton won't want him back with Martinez in charge, after that we're probably one of the biggest clubs he could work for now. The only reason he wouldn't take it is because of the fat c*** in charge.

He's used to collecting a decent wage (got paid loads at Everton IIRC), being in charge of transfers - and is ambitious. He'll need to join a team with an ambitious board. Mike and co. are not. He'll most likely go abroad.

Feel like I am endlessly repeating myself on this, but Ashley really should be looking at managers like Paco Jemez, Thomas Tuchel etc.

Yes he should. But I know he won't.

I really don't think we need a manager with PL experience.  I would much rather see a foreign manager with a decent grasp of tactics to come in.

This time last year when we had some real quality - I would agree. Now, We need someone with some type of PL/British league experience.

I am not sure it makes any difference - I mean Pardew has PL experience and it hasn't helped him.

I would never have thought Ashley would have spent the last 4 years since promotion buying players from France and Holland before we started doing it. It used to be a running forum joke that'd we'd only sign the quintessential British-based plodders because our contacts were so poor ("LOL we'll probably sign Carlton Cole" etc). It's not totally beyond the realms of possibility that if he realises a decent coach will mean inflating values of the imported players then we could actually think outside of the box for a manager like we did for players (not that it was particularly groundbreaking stuff, but neither would be appointing a good coach).

Must be said - I think the squad is terrible.

The defence is a joke but we have a team full of France internationals, an england international, a couple of Holland internationals, a striker who lit up the league in his first season, and one of the Premier League's newest bright sparks. We're hardly Burnley are we?

Admittedly it's not the strongest squad we've ever had but there's more than enough there to finish in the top 8 IMO.

The fact that we look utter turd under Pardew has far more to do with Pardew than it does our group of players.

Guest Roger Kint

The defence is a joke but we have a team full of France internationals, an england international, a couple of Holland internationals, a striker who lit up the league in his first season, and one of the Premier League's newest bright sparks. We're hardly Burnley are we?

Admittedly it's not the strongest squad we've ever had but there's more than enough there to finish in the top 8 IMO.

The fact that we look utter turd under Pardew has far more to do with Pardew than it does our group of players.

:lol: Not having that yet

what?

Only 4/5 of our first team are active internationals. And only 2 start for their nations.

Our French internationals are Sissoko and Cabella. One is adapting to the league the other is slightly above average and can barely pass.

We only finished top 8 last season due to 2 lads that aren't here anymore.  This squad is weaker than lasts. Weaker in every area. We've lost the quality that separated us from the mire in the league.

Our 'England international' is Jack Colback ffs. The squad is piss poor. 1 that Alan Pardew will relegate and another good manager might struggle with.

Zola would come here, IMO, and I'd snap every limb off to get him.

Based on what? Done nothing at all as manager of West Ham and couldnt get Watfords team up despite being given the best players in the league

Based on the fact he's not Alan Pardew and he actually gets his teams to attack. Doesn't mean I actually think he's any good, he'd simply have a refreshing philosophy considering what we've generally been served up over the last 4 years.

You would snap every limb off for someone you dont think is very good? Strange logic

I'd snap every limb off to not witness an Alan Pardew borefest ever again. I'm at the point where I just want us to attack and be somewhat exciting. To play some actual football.

No you said for Zola, not to be rid of Pardew. Big difference and i dont remember Watford being that exciting either

I'm confused as to how you think my wanting of Zola and dislike of Pardew are mutually exclusive? Watford played some very decent stuff during his tenure.

I'll rephrase: the dross that has been on show for the last 4 years has led me to a place of desperation where I'd happily have a manager I don't even rate that much to be put in charge of the team simply because he sets teams up to win games by as many goals as possible.

Your original post was solely about Zola. There was no mention of Pardew and the idea you would snap off every limb to get another poor manager is bizarre. I would reserve that for unrealistic mangers but not one i admit to not rating. It doesnt have to be mutually excusive to be stupid tbh

It's a bizarre situation. There are probably hundreds of suggestions on this forum for potential managers that aren't much good, but the standards have frankly been levelled and there's not much in the way of hope, so anything better will suffice. In this case, 'better' means someone who'll come in and at least try and do something entertaining, forget winning stuff.

I'm really not sure what you're trying to achieve by focusing rigidly on me not specifically mentioning Pardew in my post as if nothing can be ever be implied. This is a 'Who would you go for?' thread which directly relates to Pardew's sacking, it's inevitably going to overlap. If we were a club that was run well then I certainly wouldn't be wanting to snap anything off for Zola, but we aren't and I don't envisage us getting anyone in that's decent. All that's left is someone who won't play monumentally restrictive stuff, doesn't mind having players bought for him and isn't a total knobhead.

There's a list of 100 managers that I'd have, but the vast majority won't come here while Ashley and his structure are around. I'll avoid any facetiousness in my posts, in future, just for you  :)

Guest Roger Kint

Based on what? Done nothing at all as manager of West Ham and couldnt get Watfords team up despite being given the best players in the league

Based on the fact he's not Alan Pardew and he actually gets his teams to attack. Doesn't mean I actually think he's any good, he'd simply have a refreshing philosophy considering what we've generally been served up over the last 4 years.

You would snap every limb off for someone you dont think is very good? Strange logic

I'd snap every limb off to not witness an Alan Pardew borefest ever again. I'm at the point where I just want us to attack and be somewhat exciting. To play some actual football.

No you said for Zola, not to be rid of Pardew. Big difference and i dont remember Watford being that exciting either

I'm confused as to how you think my wanting of Zola and dislike of Pardew are mutually exclusive? Watford played some very decent stuff during his tenure.

I'll rephrase: the dross that has been on show for the last 4 years has led me to a place of desperation where I'd happily have a manager I don't even rate that much to be put in charge of the team simply because he sets teams up to win games by as many goals as possible.

Your original post was solely about Zola. There was no mention of Pardew and the idea you would snap off every limb to get another poor manager is bizarre. I would reserve that for unrealistic mangers but not one i admit to not rating. It doesnt have to be mutually excusive to be stupid tbh

It's a bizarre situation. There are probably hundreds of suggestions on this forum for potential managers that aren't much good, but the standards have frankly been levelled and there's not much in the way of hope, so anything better will suffice. In this case, 'better' means someone who'll come in and at least try and do something entertaining, forget winning stuff.

I'm really not sure what you're trying to achieve by focusing rigidly on me not specifically mentioning Pardew in my post as if nothing can be ever be implied. This is a 'Who would you go for?' thread which directly relates to Pardew's sacking, it's inevitably going to overlap. If we were a club that was run well then I certainly wouldn't be wanting to snap anything off for Zola, but we aren't and I don't envisage us getting anyone in that's decent. All that's left is someone who won't play monumentally restrictive stuff, doesn't mind having players bought for him and isn't a total knobhead.

There's a list of 100 managers that I'd have, but the vast majority won't come here while Ashley and his structure are around. I'll avoid any facetiousness in my posts, in future, just for you  :)

I dont care about your views on Pardew man, its always implied here. Your post was very much bigging up a poor manager as though he would be great for us. That was my sole issue. The only bizarre fact is you cant work out why i questioned it :lol:

Guest Roger Kint

We won't get entertainment for another 3 months at least probably, we should go for someone with a long-term plan and commitment to decent football. The challenge is that they now also have to streetwise enough to keep us in the league.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR3P9LGPzrqaaUXgYsuKfxJbHEM0f1DuUmJMOcdzxBC5vYZB3gv6Q

A Dutch coach is a great shout. Often tactically astute, affordable and they tend to implement some long-term planning. I don't think Ashley would like working with a forrin but Carr might be a slither of hope with his contacts. Ashley seemed to trust his opinion too, not sure how much Pardew has destroyed that, though.

what?

Only 4/5 of our first team are active internationals. And only 2 start for their nations.

Our French internationals are Sissoko and Cabella. One is adapting to the league the other is slightly above average and can barely pass.

We only finished top 8 last season due to 2 lads that aren't here anymore.  This squad is weaker than lasts. Weaker in every area. We've lost the quality that separated us from the mire in the league.

Our 'England international' is Jack Colback ffs. The squad is p*ss poor. 1 that Alan Pardew will relegate and another good manager might struggle with.

With Pardew in charge. That part cannot be understated. The squad we had last year was capable of so much more than it delivered, just like this one is but again, Pardew was/is at the helm.

what?

Our 'England international' is Jack Colback ffs. The squad is p*ss poor. 1 that Alan Pardew will relegate and another good manager might struggle with.

With Pardew in charge. That part cannot be understated. The squad we had last year was capable of so much more than it delivered, just like this one is but again, Pardew was/is at the helm.

when we had MYM, Marv, HBA, Remy and Cabaye.

This squad is very much a reflection and in the image of it's manager.  Previously he had it too good. This is a lower half PL squad which he'll relegate. Last year at our best we would've been closer to spurs and Man Utd. at best. Perhaps Everton.

I dont care about your views on Pardew man, its always implied here. Your post was very much bigging up a poor manager as though he would be great for us. That was my sole issue. The only bizarre fact is you cant work out why i questioned it :lol:

I understand why you'd question the initial post but I have no idea why you can't seem to grasp that the suggestion was more to do with the context of the current situation/plight than actually rating someone. Zola is a realistic option considering our incredibly restrictive structure, in my opinion, and would be a better fit for this club than Pardew. As a result, I'd have him here. It's no more complex than that.