Who would you go for?

BONTEMPI

Surely the idea that no one good would work for Ashley is a bit overplayed, no matter what everyone thinks of him.  Most Premier League Chairman have a reputation for being a bit crazy in some way, or are deeply unpopular.  It hasn't stopped the rest of the clubs in the league appointing a competent manager for the most part.  There just aren't that many good jobs available.  My main worry is about who Ashley will randomly pick from obscurity, so he can pay them peanuts.  If he wanted to I'm sure he could attract Moyes or someone like that.  It's not like we're a club with a fast sacking reputation anymore.  If Pardew can survive four years, you'd have to back yourself as a good manager to get some time.  I just think it'll be Ashley's decision making process that would land us with a poor manager rather than the club's attractiveness.

low wages, 0 say on incomings or outgoings and operate on a sell to buy basis anyway, owner despised by fans and your the only person at the club who will ever speak to anybody so your the fool stuck defending whatever stupidity the clubs thrown your way this week and generally acting as a human shield for ashley and an active club policy not to try in the cups. Thats not exactly attractive for many managers.

low wages, 0 say on incomings or outgoings and operate on a sell to buy basis anyway, owner despised by fans and your the only person at the club who will ever speak to anybody so your the fool stuck defending whatever stupidity the clubs thrown your way this week and generally acting as a human shield for ashley and an active club policy not to try in the cups. Thats not exactly attractive for many managers.

The low wages part could be a sticking point if that is set in stone.  We have however managed to offer plenty of players wages that will make them come here.  Are we paying low wages because that's all we pay, or because it's Alan Pardew we're paying.  It could be that Ashley would be willing to offer someone better a higher wage.  I don't think up and coming European coaches would be on massive wages either.  Also the targets aren't huge.  If you believe the papers Pardew is on 500k a year, which is peanuts.  However he also got a 1m bonus for finishing top half.  That takes his pay onto low but not ridiculously low levels.  With a shorter term contract there may be a higher but not huge wage offer available.  Perhaps that is ridiculously optimistic of me, I'm not sure.  Wages could certainly be a problem though, especially if looking to go for someone like Moyes.  Ridiculous considering the manager is by far the most important person at the club in terms of performance.

The human shield thing isn't really working out.  If we have that as a requirement we'll get no one.  I don't know if that is Ashley though, or just Pardew being crap and looking for ways to kiss up to Ashley and save his job.  It seems to be a unique talent that Pardew has developed.  I don't know if Ashley might accept a bit more resistance from someone more respected in the game, especially if they were continuing to do a good job.

My thought wass simply that the chairman being despised is not unique and that we're a big enough club with potential to still be an attractive proposition.  Not having control of transfers is nothing unique.  It is common all over Europe and most of the premier league now.  Southampton's board and chairman were hardly popular after the summer and even before that.  They have had Pochettino and  Koeman.  Hull City fans hate their owner for wanting to change the name and the history of the club.  Still they have better than Pardew.  I just don't know how many jobs outside the premier league, top of La Liga and top of Bundesliga that are going to be paying big time money.  There are some managers out of work, wanting to work and yet there are not many vacancies.  So if Ashley penny pinches then yes we'll definitely end up with a very low quality manager.  If he loosens them even a little more than he has for Pardew, we have a slim chance of getting someone better.

The caveat is that you get to manager a massive club in the PL, with a huge fanbase, a good squad, you won't be sacked for being 10th, and if it all goes to s*** nobody blames you, they blame Ashley

If Pardew gets the reported 500k a year standard, he's very top of the Championship in wages level.  How many of them get a 1m bonus for 10th though?  So if what's being reported is true, then an up and coming manager is surely an option.  That would surely be true the more we looked into the up and coming Spanish, German and Dutch coaches.  If we do that or not is another thing.  Moyes wages were relatively astronomical at Man Utd.  So we'd probably need a drastic chance of approach to attract someone like him, or anyone of equal standing.  That said we're paying a Central defender something like ten times as much as the manager, which is just ludicrous.  This club defies logic most of the time.

The caveat is that you get to manager a massive club in the PL, with a huge fanbase, a good squad, you won't be sacked for being 10th, and if it all goes to shit nobody blames you, they blame Ashley

not so sure its a good squad, I just look at that spine of the side and it is bloody awful. Central defense is a disaster area, none of the central midfielders have a creative bone in their body and the strikers don't look up to much. Theres elements of a good squad but missing key components (not to mention 0 depth in the slightest so each injury hurts a lot more than it should if the club had common sense)

I'd love Hoddle here. It's about time he got back into management and he's about as far removed from Pardew as it's possible to get.

Head coach at QPR now no? 

I can see Ashely going for Sherwood and Sir Les, the majority of fans (not on here) would probably accept that. Well tbh the majority of fans here would accept that over Pardew too. Regardless they would be a cheap option, willing to prove themselves and have that Newcastle connection with Sir Les.

The problem is we always drop the ball in these situations. We have a potentially fantastic chance to actually get a fantastic coach but we have been here before when we hired Souness, Roeder (although most accepted he deserved a chance), Kinnear and Pardew. Looking back at that list it makes these "Geordies are too demanding" quotes even more hilarious considering how open we have been to giving the people on that list a chance, even though many felt they would never work.

Annoying to me is that a manager who excites fans would keep people at bay from all this shit, just play decent football and have the team attempt to win each match. The league's standard is so crap we'd automatically finish 10-14 place and Mike Ashley could keep spending the way he does.

Annoying to me is that a manager who excites fans would keep people at bay from all this s***, just play decent football and have the team attempt to win each match. The league's standard is so crap we'd automatically finish 10-14 place and Mike Ashley could keep spending the way he does.

Kanji :thup: we are such an easy fix. It's so frustrating.