Who would you go for?

BONTEMPI

Just read George Caulkin's latest in Times. He reiterates that Carver is expected to revert to previous role. First hand knowledge of English football needed. Mcclaren, vieira or Clement I'd think

I've heard pretty much the same.Garde wasn't wanted because he wanted to bring his own staff but Charnley wants the current coaching staff to be utilised.

:anguish:

Why would they hire Vieira? Unknown quantity?

Apparently he's done a decent job with Man City's "Elite Development Squad" but I imagine they probably have far more/better players than the teams they're competing against so I'm not sure how impressive that is.

Guest Gino14

I really don't understand this desperation to keep our current coaching staff.  Even if they've got five years left, with the peanuts we pay, it wouldn't be that expensive to pay them off.  Then it'd be a few million a year for the new guy's coaching staff.  That's infinitely more effective than wasting millions on players, who will be useless, because morons like Carver are controlling them.  It's very difficult to look at anything our coaching staff do and compliment it.  Do we have any players that have made technical improvements?  Do we have a great fitness record?  Does our tactical prowess ever stand out as being good?  The answer to all of these questions is always no.  The performance has been so poor, all of them should be turfed out immediately.

For years Pardew took players like Ben Arfa and destroyed them, rather than building them up.  Some players made money because he couldn't quite ruin them, but others had their potential wasted and having the wrong man at the top has cost the club a lot of money.  It just seems insane to penny pinch on the manager and coaching staff, when it would potentially create much more money, both from player value increases and on pitch prize money, if we'd just have a competent coaching staff and manager.  The club has these aims and ideas about how to run the club, but then proceeds to do everything arse backwards.  Even though I don't like the ideas from the club about how things should be done, it'd still work a lot better if they'd at least do it properly.

Guest Gino14

They are desperate to keep them because they don't want to pay 5 odd years of settlement fees for all.

This is what I'm talking about though.  What would is cost?  One Riviere transfer fee maybe?  I know where the money would be better spent.

It looks like they want to keep Carver as a coach or assistant. I can't think of a more uncomfortable environment that being demoted and having to work for the guy that took my place; if this happened to me I would resign.

You're a bright lad with self-respect, though. John Carver is a brainless, shameless creep.

Shocking to me how there are so many people in football who lack that bit of self respect. All too happy to eat up a pay check and remain relevant all while touting their supposed love of a club or football or whatever. Disgusting.

I wouldn't be happy having a number 2 forced on me that had been in my position (albeit as interim) and probably still bruised because I got it instead of him. You'd feel like you had to watch your back 24/7. Terrible idea iyam.

As much as we need a great first team "head coach" we need a backroom staff to support him.

Article in the telegraph just popped up on newsnow. Looking like it's McClaren.

Could have done better, but I'm okay with it.

He is close to Carr, and is a genuine coach, and so I'm interested to see how it plays out.

I'm very relieved.

Article in the telegraph just popped up on newsnow. Looking like it's McClaren.

Could have done better, but I'm okay with it.

He is close to Carr, and is a genuine coach, and so I'm interested to see how it plays out.

I'm very relieved.

This post sums up how low expectations are these days.

Nobody should be "ok" with such an unambitious appointment.

Thing is I could definitely see McClaren doing really well here.

The fact he and Carr will be on the same page is going to be huge.

I still think we sign really good players, and McClaren Pisces all over Pardew in coaching ability.

You have to take into account the circumstances and in the circumstances Mclaren is ok.

It's just that the circumstances are so dire.

And us fans are apart of the reason why things are so dire.

We are "OK" with a manager who has just been sacked from a championship club being appointed as manager.

Guest Gino14

The Telegraph article is to get people buying papers or to get clicks on their site.  I'm not saying it's wrong, but the headline is a little bit deceptive I think.  It states in the headline that McLaren will be manager.  Then the article basically says it's believed we will make a third approach for him.  So really it's nowhere close to being set in stone yet, even if the article's information is true.

You have to take into account the circumstances and in the circumstances Mclaren is ok.

It's just that the circumstances are so dire.

And us fans are apart of the reason why things are so dire.

We are "OK" with a manager who has just been sacked from a championship club being appointed as manager.

No matter how stupid some of our fans undoubtedly are, they can't be blamed for the state of the club. They certainly don't help matters with their apathy. But it's wrong to suggest the fans are to blame, they are not, Mike Ashley is.

Considering the context, Mclaren isn't that bad. Sadly the context IS the problem.