Florian Thauvin

Yaron
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What will a wide man who has no burst of pace,power or conviction do out wide? Amble around the paddock looking like a hybrid of Viana and Luque.

probably why both he and Cabella were both played primarily as number 10's and not shunted on the wing as we've done. Same goes with Viana when he was here. Not that any of them have convinced me they'll do any better .....

Think we could've done with him, tbh. He's not shown much, aye, but we should've stuck him out on the left for the last 20 minutes and tried to stretch Stoke and get some crosses in with a genuine left footer. I'm all for fluidity but it was too much today and resulted in something much narrower than we needed, Mitrovic was dropping in midfield sometimes when there was just no need.

If Ayoze was flagging/as tired as people have said, it was an ideal opportunity: Gini behind Mitro, Thauvin left. Feel like SMc has to 'sensibly' gamble with him, and show a belief in him (beyond what he feels) to raise confidence and get him firing on all cylinders. One thing's certain, it isn't going to happen solely through training, talking, or reserves.

Like most people I've been really disappointed with Thauvin, but I think our circumstances and use of him has been the worst possible way to introduce him. I think he will come good, but he's one of those players that will take time to adapt. To accelerate that adaptation he needs to be playing each week, but 15/20 mins here and there and ideally when we are on top so the pressure is off. We can't offer him that, so he's either thrown in the deep end with pressure or we can't afford to throw him on as we don't trust he can deliver. Terrible situation.

Makes me laugh this Carr criticism. Pretty sure if you analyse most clubs transfers they get as much wrong as they get right overall, the ones who buck this tends trend are the ones who win stuff.

It's not Carr's fault how parsimonious the club are, I have no problem with him. I'd much rather him picking the signings than another Pardew, or worse Carver.  No idea about McClaren's record on transfers but I'd wager a guess it's not amazing.

Graham. I'm loath to defend Carr but de Jong is a very fine footballer who's had abysmal luck with injuries and Thauvin will come good eventually here or elsewhere. He's too talented not to.

Aye.

Makes me laugh this Carr criticism. Pretty sure if you analyse most clubs transfers they get as much wrong as they get right overall, the ones who buck this tends trend are the ones who win stuff.

This isn't really true. The clubs that win stuff spend the most money on transfers and wages. Look at City, Barcelona, Chelsea - they sign a lot of flops.

The issue with Thauvin is that he isn't even highly rated. He seemed to have a great breakout season and nothing since. I don't see significant quality with the lad. Add to the fact he doesn't seem physically up to it too. We needed strengthening in other areas it just looks shit.

We needed a CM. I'm assuming Wijnaldum was bought for that purpose - he's at LM.

We neeeded a genuine wide player but it seems Thauvin is more of a #10, but I'm assuming we bought him to play wide.

I just struggle to see what the intended line-up for this season was meant to be.

Yeah I want to see Thauvin on the left wing and Wijnaldum in the middle.

We're always going to play 2 sitting midfielders though as the idea is for one of them to cover a fullback who bombs forward whilst the other stays central to protect the defence. Unless we abandon that idea, which I suspect we won't, then it'll be 2 DMs and that rules out Wijnaldum or at least renders him very ineffective if he took up that role.

He could play the Perez role of course, but then that means replacing Perez.

This isn't really true. The clubs that win stuff spend the most money on transfers and wages. Look at City, Barcelona, Chelsea - they sign a lot of flops.

The issue with Thauvin is that he isn't even highly rated. He seemed to have a great breakout season and nothing since. I don't see significant quality with the lad. Add to the fact he doesn't seem physically up to it too. We needed strengthening in other areas it just looks shit.

We needed a CM. I'm assuming Wijnaldum was bought for that purpose - he's at LM.

We neeeded a genuine wide player but it seems Thauvin is more of a #10, but I'm assuming we bought him to play wide.

I just struggle to see what the intended line-up for this season was meant to be.

All over the place this post, and we know it all anyway.

Winning clubs spend more obviously but they get a better proportion of signings right on the whole imo.

As regards the rest of your post none of it, while true, proves any of it is down to Carr. Could have been Little Mike and his balance sheet making the calls, probably was.