January Window 2013 - how does it rate?

Belfast Mags

Guest SweMatt

9/10 - it's only one striker missing. Well done Graham Carr and well done Ben Arfa and Cabaye for convincing them to come here.  :)

And ok, well done Mike Ashley for surprising us all in a good way this time.

We have upgraded right back - GOOD

We have upgraded centre back - GOOD

We have upgraded centre midf - GOOD

We have replaced and upgraded on Lovenkrands - GOOD

We have signed two defenders for the future - GOOD

We have failed to replace Ba and Best - HUGE GAMBLE

The squad is undeniably stronger but we've sold our top scorer and now have to rely on an out of form player finding form and staying fit, with the underlying worry that the club merely see Gouffran as a back up in the long term.

7 out of 10

3 goals in his last 6 and 'out of form'.

Jesus.

Ive said all along, I have no doubts with ba gone, cisse would score goals. ba's one man mission had a lot to do with his 'out of form' imo.

Jesus.

Recently he has been OK but we still don't know for sure that he can sustain this.

Still doesn't hide that there is little beyond him if he gets injured. We've sorted the squad depth out in midfield and in defence but we cannot deny that we are still two short up front.

Another striker would have meant we'd been spoilt.

Forget "should have happened in the summer", we've had an unbelievable window, not just in terms of qualityplayers in vbutuunprecedented in terms of value too. 10/10 :thup:

We've made some fantastic signings. I certainly didnt expect anything like this a month ago. Waiting to see what impact the new players will ultimately have, but it's exciting on paper. Only drawback is losing Ba, which was out of our control unfortunately.

9/10

I'm over the moon with the window tbh.

Of course it would have been nice with some extra cover up front, but realistically that was never going to happen, and I think we've got decent cover there anyway as Gouffran has played the last season and a half as a central striker should Cissé get injured. I do fear though that Pardew might think that he is suited to that and opt for Shola should the worst happen.

Extremely excited about Moussa and Mapou, Moussa because of his reputation and indeed looking like he'll live up to it against Villa, and Mapou much because of who he's replacing, even though Taylor is back.

Getting an upgrade on Simpson and cover for the full back positions is brilliant as well, really feel comfortable across the back four now, can't remember that before as a NUFC fan.

All in all, a very strong 9/10, very good job by all involved :thup:

I'd have to go for 9/10 - as soon as Ba was scoring goals and the clause was back he wasn't going to stick around when the big offer came in so no blame can be apportioned there.  Remy could have been completed quicker to not give Dirty Harry a sniff, but as soon as they offered insane money he wasn't coming here.  That may have worked in our favour though as it gave us a bit of a kick up the arse to sign Sissoko now and not wait around until the summer and risk another club coming in between now and then.

We've managed to plug some holes in the first team and strengthen two of our weakest areas so have to be pleased with that.  Hopefully the owner will see what a clusterfuck this season has been and a) we can stay up and b) keep most of the current squad together, then the summer can be used to strengthen our forward line and bring in three or four more squad players.

happy about it. it looked nasty after remy went to QPR. We still need quality in that position....but Goof can play wide and replace cisse if needed...god forbid it. Marveaux and arfa on the wings + cabaye and sissoko central - goals can come from anywhere. Marveaux might not be best in LW position but he can do the job there imo.

Think our failure in signing remy have put us in a better place.

Would any of this happened without losing to Reading?  Or was losing Remy the motivator?

Either way, 9/10. Signing three international-class players, two of which are 23, is absurd for a club in our league position.  Doing so for the better part of 13m is just remarkable.  And obviously Gouffran can do a job, Haidara looks to be a real prospect.

If we'd gotten Kebe, it would be a 10.

Jesus.

He's scored 5 goals in 22 matches for the season and has clearly struggled to play well. I don't understand how one can protest the idea that player he's been this season is adequate going into the future. I have faith because he's always been a scorer, but the idea that he's been good is ludicrous.

Anyway, Incoming: 10/10: Proven quality at cut prices and reasonable wages. You cannot hope for much more.

Outgoing: 3/10: Xisco away is a plus as is keeping most of our talented players. However, selling the leading goal scorer for a pittance without true replacement is not good enough. Especially for a team hovering above relegation.

Averaging the two, I say 6.5/10. Subjectively, I am very pleased as the Ba departure was inevitable and we recovered very well, but objectively we lost one our most important players.