Tottenham Hotspur vs. Newcastle United - 09/02/13 @ 12:45pm (Live on Sky)

Fenham Mag

Just been reading a Spurs forum, they are as arrogant as I imagined they would be. Knew there was a reason why I f***ing despised them.

Uh huh. I can play that game too:

"Slot Tiote to kick the living s*** of Dembele and Dempsey, and I'm sure Saylor and Debuchy will be able to shake off one Gareth Bale."

"Also when Hatem Ben arfas back along with Tiote and Raylor. Yes were as good as Tottenham. Be finishing above you next season"

"i'd take Cisse over Adebayor on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday."

"You may aswell get yourself a TOON shirt to wear for the game.    because we are going to Spank you."

All taken out of context - the thread was pretty fair. Here's some Spurs stuff from my forum:

"this is going to be a really tough match for us."

"I think this game can be a cracker."

"I am worried about this game. I really hope we can get three points to keep us in contention! Could this be the game that makes or breaks our season?"

"A three of Tiote, Cabaye and Sissoko is strong though. We'll need to be on it."

"With Newcastle's strength in midfield, Holtby absolutely has to play centrally behind the striker as he is not afraid to track back and hassle - 3rd central midfielder and linking the play."

"God I hope we wipe the smugness off of Pardew's face though, can't stand him. He's gotten a bit lucky, the going got tough and he was bailed out by 4 new signing."

"Since Cabaye came back they have made such huge improvements.

Not to mention they basically changed half their squad, and Yanga-Mbiwu hasn't even started, who I feel is their 2nd best CB behind Coloccini.

They could realistically line up as such:

----------------------------- Krul ------------------------------

Debuchy ------ Yanga-Mbiwa --- Coloccini ----- Santon

--------------- Cabaye ---------- Tiote ---------------------

Jonas ----------------- Sissoko ------------------ Gouffran

------------------------- Cisse ----------------------------------

That's an incredibly balanced squad. One that is athletic from front to back, has goals from their defense and obviously in attack. Strong in midfield with a trio that have very complimentary skillsets (Cabaye - elite passer/engine, Tiote - ball winner/tenacious defender, Sissoko - playmaker).

This one is going to be tough. Very tough."

Oh, the arrogant b******s.

I still hate your fans leffe. Ever since I saw a load of them going to a cup final in suits jumping into a limo. 

That sounds fucking great, tbh. If it was a Wembley Cup Final, then that would be my ideal way to travel. I used to live in North London and hated travelling there, if I could sit in the traffic jam getting plastered it would be magic.

Where'll be the best place to drink pre-match for this? Round Kings Cross then tube? Or near WHL itself?

Mostly home fans round the ground. Last year me and my mate said we weren't going to the match and got let in. There was some Irish centre near WHL station that had our fans in, might go back

The Irish Centre used to be the one, but I haven't been with away fans for some time - we're talking years now. A couple of pubs I used to recommend have apparently gone now. This site gives a few:

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/tottenham_hotspur/

If you're coming down to London by train I'd say your best bet is to grab a drink in town - there are loads of great pubs around Kings Cross. You can then get the Victoria Line up. Alternatively, if you're getting the overground up from Liverpool St, drink there.

If you're driving down, parking is a bugger. There's lots of complicated things you can do, but check the train times. You might be able to park somewhere in Enfield and get the train down from Enfield Town to WHL (Don't go to Enfield Chase station - wrong line) - but the pubs in Enfield were never that great. It does mean that you're getting the train back out of London, which used to mean less of a wait.

I had a quick look at the controlled parking zone for matchdays and it doesn't seem to extend that far. I was planning on driving up from Camden!

http://www.haringey.gov.uk/index/environment_and_transport/parking/cpz/tottenham_hotspur_match_day_cpz.htm

It's the media arse kissing of them I always hated, particularly when there was a 10-15 year spell where they never finished top or bottom 6, the definition of average, yet the press still wanked all over them.

Aye, exactly the same for me. Now they're actually a good side my hatred has subsided somewhat.

Where'll be the best place to drink pre-match for this? Round Kings Cross then tube? Or near WHL itself?

Mostly home fans round the ground. Last year me and my mate said we weren't going to the match and got let in. There was some Irish centre near WHL station that had our fans in, might go back

The Irish Centre used to be the one, but I haven't been with away fans for some time - we're talking years now. A couple of pubs I used to recommend have apparently gone now. This site gives a few:

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/tottenham_hotspur/

If you're coming down to London by train I'd say your best bet is to grab a drink in town - there are loads of great pubs around Kings Cross. You can then get the Victoria Line up. Alternatively, if you're getting the overground up from Liverpool St, drink there.

If you're driving down, parking is a bugger. There's lots of complicated things you can do, but check the train times. You might be able to park somewhere in Enfield and get the train down from Enfield Town to WHL (Don't go to Enfield Chase station - wrong line) - but the pubs in Enfield were never that great. It does mean that you're getting the train back out of London, which used to mean less of a wait.

I had a quick look at the controlled parking zone for matchdays and it doesn't seem to extend that far. I was planning on driving up from Camden!

I went to Spurs v Newcastle with some Newcastle fan mates a couple of times - and on one occasion we had an absolute blinder of a night in Camden afterwards. Was when I was living in Scotland - and we all came down from Scotland wearing kilts (Oh, the banter).

There are plenty of places to park if you don't mind a bit of a walk. I'd suggest somewhere just off the Great Cambridge maybe - plenty of escape routes, though the traffic will still be pretty horrible.

Yeah, I was thinking of parking just west of that zone. Anyway, should just get public transport TBH!

If you're coming from Camden, you could actually just bus it. 29 to Finsbury Park, then the 259. You could have a drink in the Finsbury Park Tavern, and might get a drink bought for you by Arsenal fans. Have you got a Newcastle accent?

Just been reading a Spurs forum, they are as arrogant as I imagined they would be. Knew there was a reason why I f***ing despised them.

Uh huh. I can play that game too:

"Slot Tiote to kick the living s*** of Dembele and Dempsey, and I'm sure Saylor and Debuchy will be able to shake off one Gareth Bale."

"Also when Hatem Ben arfas back along with Tiote and Raylor. Yes were as good as Tottenham. Be finishing above you next season"

"i'd take Cisse over Adebayor on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday."

"You may aswell get yourself a TOON shirt to wear for the game.    because we are going to Spank you."

All taken out of context - the thread was pretty fair. Here's some Spurs stuff from my forum:

"this is going to be a really tough match for us."

"I think this game can be a cracker."

"I am worried about this game. I really hope we can get three points to keep us in contention! Could this be the game that makes or breaks our season?"

"A three of Tiote, Cabaye and Sissoko is strong though. We'll need to be on it."

"With Newcastle's strength in midfield, Holtby absolutely has to play centrally behind the striker as he is not afraid to track back and hassle - 3rd central midfielder and linking the play."

"God I hope we wipe the smugness off of Pardew's face though, can't stand him. He's gotten a bit lucky, the going got tough and he was bailed out by 4 new signing."

"Since Cabaye came back they have made such huge improvements.

Not to mention they basically changed half their squad, and Yanga-Mbiwu hasn't even started, who I feel is their 2nd best CB behind Coloccini.

They could realistically line up as such:

----------------------------- Krul ------------------------------

Debuchy ------ Yanga-Mbiwa --- Coloccini ----- Santon

--------------- Cabaye ---------- Tiote ---------------------

Jonas ----------------- Sissoko ------------------ Gouffran

------------------------- Cisse ----------------------------------

That's an incredibly balanced squad. One that is athletic from front to back, has goals from their defense and obviously in attack. Strong in midfield with a trio that have very complimentary skillsets (Cabaye - elite passer/engine, Tiote - ball winner/tenacious defender, Sissoko - playmaker).

This one is going to be tough. Very tough."

Oh, the arrogant b******s.

I still hate your fans leffe. Ever since I saw a load of them going to a cup final in suits jumping into a limo. 

That sounds f***ing great, tbh. If it was a Wembley Cup Final, then that would be my ideal way to travel. I used to live in North London and hated travelling there, if I could sit in the traffic jam getting plastered it would be magic.

Wey, there you go then  :whistle:

Yeah, I was thinking of parking just west of that zone. Anyway, should just get public transport TBH!

If you're coming from Camden, you could actually just bus it. 29 to Finsbury Park, then the 259. You could have a drink in the Finsbury Park Tavern, and might get a drink bought for you by Arsenal fans. Have you got a Newcastle accent?

Aye, well Gateshead anyway. The 29 goes right past my door.

Not sure what I'll do, I'm more a cup of tea and kit-kat man pre match.

Apparently Adebayor is out with 'issues'  :lol:

Hasn't returned from Africa yet. Someone on here predicted this as well.  :lol:

There's a precedent for this, I think. What's the source on this btw?

Sure I read quotes from AVB that he would at least be on the bench for Saturday.

Not sure how I'd prefer Spurs to line up tbh.

Apparently Adebayor is out with 'issues'  :lol:

Hasn't returned from Africa yet. Someone on here predicted this as well.  :lol:

There's a precedent for this, I think. What's the source on this btw?

Sure I read quotes from AVB that he would at least be on the bench for Saturday.

Not sure how I'd prefer Spurs to line up tbh.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/feb/07/emmanuel-adebayor-tottenham-return-togo?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tottenham-emmanuel-adebayor-is-set-to-face-1593197?

Love the mirror article how they just drop this in for no reason at all:

Flop former Tottenham manager Christian Gross amused media members at his introductory press conference in 1997 by proudly brandishing a Tube ticket, showing he'd travelled to the event on the London Underground.

:lol:

That's what I'm worried about too, I've already lost DirecTV for Community's return, if I miss this I'll never recover.

yeah we've seemed to have some sort of a snow storm every weekend up here. This one doesn't seem to be messing around though. Going to be furious if I miss this, plus I have Celtics tickets this weekend too. 

It's on ESPN here, very early, after a very late shift, before a very early shift.  I'm going to have to plan very precisely to get the right amount of sleep and enjoy the match.

Kick off's at 7:45 here so I'm thinking of DVRing it.  I'll be getting to bed around 4:00am after work, getting up at 8:15, watching the first half, fast-forwarding through half-time, watching the second half, showering, and leaving for work by 10.  It can be done.

It must be done.

Guest hydeous

On at a very convenient 6:15 pm for me. Just need to get back from work before then and grab a few beers before getting home! Really looking forward to this. Should be a close game. 2-2, hopefully 2-3 in injury time.