What should this squad be capable of?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If we are consistent across the season then top 8, we are a couple of defensive signings away from the top 6, top 5 if one of the 'elite' teams have a bad season like Chelsea a few years ago.

On our day, with a bit of luck we can beat anyone in the league (not strong enough to do it across a season though). For this reason I'd say we are as good as anyone for the cups, I would imagine that a lot of teams would want to keep away from us in the draws.

If we have a bad season though I can see us finishing 12th-ish, and that would be acceptable if we are showing the rights signs of improvements on the pitch.

If we are consistent across the season then top 8, we are a couple of defensive signings away from the top 6, top 5 if one of the 'elite' teams have a bad season like Chelsea a few years ago.

On our day, with a bit of luck we Callum's beat anyone in the league (not strong enough to do it across a season though). For this reason I'd say we are as good as anyone for the cups, I would imagine that a lot of teams would want to keep away from us in the draws.

If we have a bad season though I can see us finishing 12th-ish, and that would be acceptable if we are showing the rights signs of improvements on the pitch.

:pokerface:

If it was just our XI, I'd say Europa league. But it isn't, so I'd say 10th. We'll still probably finish 12th. No faith in McClaren's motivational abilities if we hit a rocky patch.

I think thats what steve black is there for.

I'll be disappointed if we don't finish top 10 tbh, but I reckon this season will be more about making progress and relearning football. I don't think the tough start is going to help either, it would have been nice to get some momentum going early. Still, if we can get through them relatively unscathed, then we should be in good shape for the rest of the season.

If it was just our XI, I'd say Europa league. But it isn't, so I'd say 10th. We'll still probably finish 12th. No faith in McClaren's motivational abilities if we hit a rocky patch.

This is exactly right. Consider how fucking atrocious we were at the start of last season and Pardew fluked 6 wins that dragged him into 5th after 17 games was it?

We'll be much less 'streaky' under McLaren but if we match that sort of points haul and avoid a Carver-esque collapse then we'll be top half in with a shout imo.

Cup runs if they come, and biblical injury plagues will be what stops that happening.

Steve Black to the rescue then.

I think thats what steve black is there for.

Well that'll be nice if it works. Although no matter what it'll still be slightly odd for the GAFFA to be sat in the background while his spirit squad steps in for him.

The first XI is potentially pretty decent but the squad is paper thin and the team don't have a style of their own yet. Given that, and that Cisse/Williamson/Colback/Anita/Taylor will feature heavily in all likeliness, 10th is the most optimistic I could see.

The first XI is potentially pretty decent but the squad is paper thin and the team don't have a style of their own yet. Given that, and that Cisse/Williamson/Colback/Anita/Taylor will feature heavily in all likeliness, 10th is the most optimistic I could see.

Think you've mixed in some very decent players with the rubbish there.

When everyone is fit I think we have 3 weak spots in the team, although I think we can resolve one with better team selection. Although Colo was excellent against Manure, we all know that that form isn't going to be maintained over the season. LB is still a weak spot, we could easily upgrade. And Colback for me is the weak link in the centre, although I would like to see us try someone else in that role, maybe DeJong.

It's a top half of the table squad for sure, thin in some areas, so vital we keep them all fit. What will be interesting though is if we drop into the relegation zone after the weekend, which as it's Arsenal is entirely possible how they cope, the longer we go without that first PL win of the season, the more pressure mounts on the squad.

It depends on whether the likes of Tiote and Cisse can return to previous form and fulfill the squad roles they need to. If we had 2010-2012 Tiote then I don't see CM as a need. Obviously the left side of the defence has serious question marks.

That said, Tottenham finished 6th with a starting CM pair of Nabil Benteleb and Ryan Mason, whilst Eric Dire and Younes Kaboul saw time at CB. Honestly I think 8th should be the minimum this Newcastle squad achieves.

Colback is a good bench option, he shouldn't start. Though Anita had a good game at OT I don't think he can produce it week in and week out, in fact that was one of a couple of games that would suit his playing style.

I'm not a fan of Tiote, he can't pass and too often he goes in too heavy, he limits our play so much. He has a good game or two in a season, but nowhere near enough to be in our first 11. In saying that he's the better option out of Anita, and Colback. I honestly think we could get rid of 2 of them and bring in a good quality DM instead for the money.

This year? I'm not too fussed about where we finish up. I'd rather see an improvement in the way we play as well as setting up a spine for the team's future. It's all about bedding in Gini, Thauvin, Mitrovic and Mbemba. These four as well as Krul, Janmaat and Sissoko could be the backbone of our team for years to come and if we can add to it every transfer window, we could end up in that 4-8 range in 2017 and on.

This year? I'm not too fussed about where we finish up. I'd rather see an improvement in the way we play as well as setting up a spine for the team's future. It's all about bedding in Gini, Thauvin, Mitrovic and Mbemba. These four as well as Krul, Janmaat and Sissoko could be the backbone of our team for years to come and if we can add to it every transfer window, we could end up in that 4-8 range in 2017 and on.

How many of those players do you think will still be here in 2017?

How many of those players do you think will still be here in 2017?

That's the big question, right? Reckon we'll sell one of them most likely Sissoko or Janmaat next season.

The defence is genuinely atrocious and much of the talent is young and experienced. Finishing top half is a good goal, but I'm not too fussed about it. This season is more about building a team unit, restoring a positive atmosphere around the club, and having a legitimate go at winning cups. Without major sales and some more good purchases, this side could actually be competitive in 2016-2017.