What should this squad be capable of?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

This year? I'm not too fussed about where we finish up. I'd rather see an improvement in the way we play as well as setting up a spine for the team's future. It's all about bedding in Gini, Thauvin, Mitrovic and Mbemba. These four as well as Krul, Janmaat and Sissoko could be the backbone of our team for years to come and if we can add to it every transfer window, we could end up in that 4-8 range in 2017 and on.

It would be a great backbone to build on. However, we're not building. We buy when we're in danger, hold/sell when we're comfortable / if someone impresses. We're no builder. We're the shitty landlord that does just enough to make the place livable, but only when absolutely forced to.

If it's possible to alleviate some of my cynicism and consider us as something representing a functioning sporting institution; I don't mind too much where we finish this season. We've got talent going forward (most of it is under the label of potential, mind you) but the defensive squad is weak. We'll probably end up mid-table and - again under the proviso that we're actually trying to behave like a proper club - that wouldn't be a bad return come May.

You and Jack had a falling out?

I've never spoke to him since school. All I have ever said about him is that he's a canny lad and I'm glad his dream is coming true.

If you look at my posts I have always maintained that he's a good option on the bench. His best performance for us was in the first game against Man City last year, if he kept that performance up them I would be calling for his first team place. As it is he hasn't and his performances over all to me are not good enough to warrant a place in the starting line up.

Guest Howaythetoon

It will do well to avoid another relegation battle, top 10 would be an achievement, for the squad that is. For me I want NUFC to look at anything under 6th place as a huge failure. But that's me.

I'd say Swansea are a few years ahead of us playing style wise, and also have some very good players.

Not overly convinced by Everton or Southampton at the moment. If we play like we've shown in glimpses so far then we should be at least in with them.

Will take into consideration that we're still trying to coach the last 2-3 years out of a lot of the squad, changing the mentality, having off days, players adapting etc, so wouldn't be too disappointed if we're 2-3 places off that but we could easily be in the Europa mix.

You and Jack had a falling out?

I've never spoke to him since school. All I have ever said about him is that he's a canny lad and I'm glad his dream is coming true.

If you look at my posts I have always maintained that he's a good option on the bench. His best performance for us was in the first game against Man City last year, if he kept that performance up them I would be calling for his first team place. As it is he hasn't and his performances over all to me are not good enough to warrant a place in the starting line up.

How the fuck is a one-paced knacker that contributes fuck-all and slows the game down a good option from the bench? [emoji38]

My heart says Europa, my head says midtable. 10th seems right, I think we should be fighting it out with Southampton, Swansea, Everton (fucking hell, it pisses me off saying that). In reality we should be right where Spurs and Liverpool are given the size of this club and what it's truly capable of being.

once you get below the top 6 or so teams there's strengths and weaknesses with a number of clubs in and around mid table, then it all comes down to the manager and some luck with injuries and suspensions etc.

we're supposed to have upgraded our manager so show me what you got schteve

I really don't care about the league position as long as we are not relegated. Just want to care about the club, look forward to matches and enjoy watching the football we play. Early signs are promising, feels great to actually wait all week for the game instead of dreading it. Didn't believe the feeling would come back so soon.

I really don't care about the league position as long as we are not relegated. Just want to care about the club, look forward to matches and enjoy watching the football we play. Early signs are promising, feels great to actually wait all week for the game instead of dreading it. Didn't believe the feeling would come back so soon.

Totally agree. I do expect a top ten finish though, given the current squad and promising signs of effective management/coaching. With the right additional central defender, I would revise upwards slightly and say top 8 as an expectation. A good cup run would also help.

We won't know what this squad is capable of until they have completed a season....too many new/young players and it takes time to bed them in.

However, I agree with HTT - the club should be capable of finishing Top 6 EVERY year, but never will consistently under this regime. Top 10 is what they want and whilst that target exists, climbing into the top 6 is a pipedream.

Any position less than 12 is a fail, though, and so is getting booted out of the Cups by lower league opposition......

Guest reefatoon

Just hope this hard start to the season doesn't knock their confidence too much. We really need to get a league win in soon or it might just start affecting everyone.

We look a lot more capable going forward, so the question mark is over the defence, and the main factor here is how quickly and well Mbemba adjusts to a new league. He's clearly got some ability, but he's been caught out a few times. That can change though.

As for the future, well I do believe the statement that the spending will continue into the next few two or three windows. So top 6 and a trophy should be realistic, if we can keep a good spirit around the place.

Financial fair play seems to have gone out of the window, so top four looks further and further out of reach, long-term.

I'd say Swansea are a few years ahead of us playing style wise, and also have some very good players.

Not overly convinced by Everton or Southampton at the moment. If we play like we've shown in glimpses so far then we should be at least in with them.

Will take into consideration that we're still trying to coach the last 2-3 years out of a lot of the squad, changing the mentality, having off days, players adapting etc, so wouldn't be too disappointed if we're 2-3 places off that but we could easily be in the Europa mix.

I though Everton looked pretty good against City. Southampton looked rough at the back. Maybe Bertrand and Forster will improve that though.

I agree that it will be good to see what the lads can do now that they don't have clowns coaching them. Tenth would be my guess.

fwiw, Everton's points total in 13/14 would have got them top four in 14/15. Maybe its just temporary turmoil at Man U and Liverpool, but the bar was not set very high last year. I don't like to admit it, but maybe the biggest problem for clubs snapping at their heels is indeed having to play in the Europa League without a top-four level squad.