Benfica vs. Newcastle United - 04/04/13 @ 8.05pm (ITV4)

bowlingcrofty

Guest Benfica_1904

Pardew rated us very high: saying that we were one of the best teams in Europe, favorites, etc. The rest is portuguese press™, as I stated before.

No it isnt!

He said that Benfica would play for the first 10/ 8 places.

He said that! Go search....

Guest Benfica_1904

Benfica is much better than Everton ( 5-0, 0-2 tie),

While I can hardly deny you're better than us, it should be said we were missing quite literally an entire team for the first game, and still a fuckload of players for the 2nd. Think it'd be a close game nowadays.

What's in my opinion easily underestimated is how the bug clubs from smaller competitions like Portugal or Holland can concentrate on their European campaign and still remain competitive domestically. In the bigger leagues, you can hardly afford to play less than at full strength, so these squads play many more high level games. To say a team like Benfica or Ajax would automatically be a top 5 side in the Premiership by virtue of their domestic dominance (even that is questionable in all honesty in both cases mentioned) or their results in Europe is a bit naive really.

So, if we can win to arsenal, liverpool, and draw in old trafford, do you think we couldnt beat teams like west broom, swansea etc... lol ??

I cant say we could win regulary against united, city, etc... but against the other small clubs ?? I dont agree with you in that point...

I think I've made my point clear. I'm from Holland, and I know first hand a team like Ajax can beat Man City in a single match, or maybe even in a knockout situation in Europe, but they would never be able to seriously compete with them in the Premiership because they wouldn't be able to rest players, or play at 50% in the second half the weekend before because they're already 3-0 up at half time against some no mark Eredivisie team. It's just not the same thing. But seeing as you seem so extremely convinced you would easily compete for the top 4 in the Premiership, you must be all but certain that you will beat Newcastle in this upcoming tie. We are just a lower table Premiership side after all..?

just one point: Dont compare top portuguese teams with top dutch teams.

Porto and Benfica are much better than ajax or psv, sorry.

While I can hardly deny you're better than us, it should be said we were missing quite literally an entire team for the first game, and still a fuckload of players for the 2nd. Think it'd be a close game nowadays.

What's in my opinion easily underestimated is how the bug clubs from smaller competitions like Portugal or Holland can concentrate on their European campaign and still remain competitive domestically. In the bigger leagues, you can hardly afford to play less than at full strength, so these squads play many more high level games. To say a team like Benfica or Ajax would automatically be a top 5 side in the Premiership by virtue of their domestic dominance (even that is questionable in all honesty in both cases mentioned) or their results in Europe is a bit naive really.

So, if we can win to arsenal, liverpool, and draw in old trafford, do you think we couldnt beat teams like west broom, swansea etc... lol ??

I cant say we could win regulary against united, city, etc... but against the other small clubs ?? I dont agree with you in that point...

I think I've made my point clear. I'm from Holland, and I know first hand a team like Ajax can beat Man City in a single match, or maybe even in a knockout situation in Europe, but they would never be able to seriously compete with them in the Premiership because they wouldn't be able to rest players, or play at 50% in the second half the weekend before because they're already 3-0 up at half time against some no mark Eredivisie team. It's just not the same thing. But seeing as you seem so extremely convinced you would easily compete for the top 4 in the Premiership, you must be all but certain that you will beat Newcastle in this upcoming tie. We are just a lower table Premiership side after all..?

Rightio.. :lol:

I also notice you have conveniently ignored my question about how confident you are about beating NUFC? Can I take it you don't want to go on record as saying you are as supremely confident as your arrogant behaviour suggests?

Portuguese league is a pushover.

To compare the relative merits of Benfica and the PL "top 4" compare their recent Champs League record.

Yes this year was poor for the English clubs but Benfica couldn't get out of a group containing Celtic and Spartak Moscow.

M'lud, I rest my case.

Guest Benfica_1904

To compare the relative merits of Benfica and the PL "top 4" compare their recent Champs League record.

Yes this year was poor for the English clubs but Benfica couldn't get out of a group containing Celtic and Spartak Moscow.

M'lud, I rest my case.

Las year we finish 1st in a group with man united  :snod:

Guest Benfica_1904

I also notice you have conveniently ignored my question about how confident you are about beating NUFC? Can I take it you don't want to go on record as saying you are as supremely confident as your arrogant behaviour suggests?

I dont have any problems to say...

We will pass newcastle ( 2-0 or more at home, draw at St James park)

And i can assure you that we will be in Amesterdam ( dont know if we win or not)

O0

I dont have any problems to say...

We will pass newcastle ( 2-0 or more at home, draw at St James park)

And i can assure you that we will be in Amesterdam ( dont know if we win or not)

O0

Bookmarked..  :razz:

Like mackems before the derby.. :lol:

M'lud, I rest my case.

How far did you get?

Man Utd been in three finals in the last few years, as well as Arsenal, Chelsea x 2, Liverpool x 2 on top of a tougher league programme, no winter break Yiddish yardda etc etc

Give over man!

Not sure why you are comparing CL/EL results to a league campaign it is totally different.

Take us for example we are in the last 8 of the EL but struggling to stay above relegation in the league, because you beat teams like Man Utd on the odd occasion doesn't mean you would finish above them in the league.

Not sure what is hard to understand about that.

Guest Benfica_1904

M'lud, I rest my case.

How far did you get?

Man Utd been in three finals in the last few years, as well as Arsenal, Chelsea x 2, Liverpool x 2 on top of a tougher league programme, no winter break Yiddish yardda etc etc

Give over man!

If you want to talk about european finals....

SL Benfica: 7 European Champions Cup (before 1991)/ Champions League finals  :whistle:

I actually believe you are wrong. Benfica would definitely be a top 6 side in our league. I'd rank them above us and Liverpool at the moment. And fwiw, definitely don't compare dutch teams to portuguese teams as the portuguese league is far superior than the dutch league at the moment. I don't care how much you want to turn and twist, Benfica is a better team than Ajax and would definitely compete for a top 4 spot in our league. I'm not saying htey'd be a top 4 team, but they'd definitely be among the top 6 teams based on quality.

This is however irrelevant to our game as exactly like you said any team can beat any team in a knockout situation, yet you wnt him to go on record saying that they will definitely beat us? :lol: pathetic.

Guest Benfica_1904

I actually believe you are wrong. Benfica would definitely be a top 6 side in our league. I'd rank them above us and Liverpool at the moment. And fwiw, definitely don't compare dutch teams to portuguese teams as the portuguese league is far superior than the dutch league at the moment. I don't care how much you want to turn and twist, Benfica is a better team than Ajax and would definitely compete for a top 4 spot in our league. I'm not saying htey'd be a top 4 team, but they'd definitely be among the top 6 teams based on quality.

This is however irrelevant to our game as exactly like you said any team can beat any team in a knockout situation, yet you wnt him to go on record saying that they will definitely beat us? :lol: pathetic.

Good comment  O0

M'lud, I rest my case.

How far did you get?

Give over man!

SL Benfica: 7 European Champions/ Champions League finals  :whistle:

I've been in your trophy room, 22,000 trophies (some for cycling).

Very impressive. Won't help you tomorrow when we unleash Shola.

You have been warned.

I honestly quite think that Pardew really know swhat he's doing when it comes to the Euro League. Not fearing Benfica at all.

I agree with the first part. I'm pretty sure Pardew is sitting right now going over his plan to go out for the 0-0 draw. Fearing Benfica on the otherhand, I actually fear them like I'd fear any team away at this stage of the competition.

I honestly quite think that Pardew really know swhat he's doing when it comes to the Euro League. Not fearing Benfica at all.

Really? I've got an awful feeling we are just going to limp out of this competition.

Guest Benfica_1904

M'lud, I rest my case.

How far did you get?

Give over man!

SL Benfica: 7 European Champions/ Champions League finals  :whistle:

I've been in your trophy room, 22,000 trophies (some for cycling).

Very impressive. Won't help you tomorrow when we unleash Shola.

You have been warned.

Lol ok. But i didnt even relate that to the match tomorrow  O0

I fail to see how you can say Benfica would definitely be a top 6 side in our league if you are willing to concede that results in a knockout competition are not very representative of a team's strength. They've not even been a dominant force in their own league over the last decade. What I do know is Benfica's team looks good on paper, certainly, and they appear to be doing well this season (can't say I follow the Portuguese league intensively however). I respect them as a very tough challenge for NUFC to overcome, possibly too strong. But I really fail to see what Pardew has said that is so condescending about Benfica being able to challenge in the top 8/10 of the Premiership, if indeed he said it at all.

I agree with the first part. I'm pretty sure Pardew is sitting right now going over his plan to go out for the 0-0 draw. Fearing Benfica on the otherhand, I actually fear them like I'd fear any team away at this stage of the competition.

At this stage five minutes of madness can see you concede 2 goals and totally alter the whole tie.

It's just as likely to happen to them as us in my opinion.