Benfica vs. Newcastle United - 04/04/13 @ 8.05pm (ITV4)

bowlingcrofty

For me, i really don't want to pick Obertan but i find myself with little choice tbh.

Think i prefer Jonas to Perch in the middle as well.

The cynic in me reckons Jonas isn't going to replicate that performance, so I'd rather have Perch in the middle ahead of either him or Anita (who is playing like the guy we saw at the start of the season). Don't trust Marveaux to defend against their full-backs (don't think he's got the work-rate to play in such a tough away game), whereas Jonas might at least make a nuisance of himself.

First Shola, now Jonas to make a nuisance of himself. Are we going over there just to make a nuisance of ourselves..? :lol:

I could've gone all tactically scientific but couldn't be bothered so 'nuisance' sufficed.

Basically, whilst I don't want us to go out there and defend for our lives - we still need to be wary of what's a pretty accomplished attacking unit, particularly from the wings. Jonas will be better suited to that than Marveaux, even if it's at the expense of Marveaux's more attacking mentality.

The cynic in me reckons Jonas isn't going to replicate that performance, so I'd rather have Perch in the middle ahead of either him or Anita (who is playing like the guy we saw at the start of the season). Don't trust Marveaux to defend against their full-backs (don't think he's got the work-rate to play in such a tough away game), whereas Jonas might at least make a nuisance of himself.

Good points, tbh in the main the team sort of picks itself as we have so little options so either way i don't think it would impact the result a great deal.

The Dutch league is in complete disarray at the moment, which is for a completely different topic as I actually blame the Premiership and its riches in large parts for that. Still, I am not so convinced Benfica is so much better than Ajax for example, even at this point in time and that could be extended to the entire league comparison really. What you have said for Benfica in your second paragraph (which I mostly agree with) is equally true for them, maybe even more so*.

* God knows I hate Ajax btw, so it took a lot to say that.. :lol:

In the last 4 years (since Jorge Jesus took charge as this is "his" team) we are the 7th best performers in european games (UEFA Ranking, not bullshiting :lol:). A victory against Newcastle, even if we get eliminated in the end (1-0W, 0-2L, for example) is enough to make us 6th. Ahead of Inter, Arsenal, Valencia, Milan, Lyon, Schalke, Porto, etc. And every dutch team. It's not a once in a season thing. The team is being consistent; two quarters and one semi final last three seasons + quarters so far this season. In this 4 years we played two dutch teams. PSV in the Europa League and Twente in the CL qualifiers. 4 games, 2W, 2D (4-1; 2-2; 3-1; 2-2;).

There's no denying the amount of talent you have btw. That's why we bought Ola John and supposedly Djuricic as well. Sulejmani is being linked with us as well, but I read some Ajax fans saying he's a fat bastard :lol: Portuguese and dutch share many virtues and difficulties, I agree.

(and I'm glad the Pardew's discussion is over; the man rate us higher than even I do since we have no Aguero's in the bench and he still gets attacked ffs :lol:)

Portuguese league is a pushover.

To compare the relative merits of Benfica and the PL "top 4" compare their recent Champs League record.

Yes this year was poor for the English clubs but Benfica couldn't get out of a group containing Celtic and Spartak Moscow.

M'lud, I rest my case.

Las year we finish 1st in a group with man united  :snod:

With all due respect, I don't think Man Utd particularly see you as their rivals.

That line will never get old. :lol:

This are the players chosen to face Newcastle (5 mins ago)

Artur Moraes and Paulo Lopes;

André Almeida, Maxi Pereira, Luisão, Garay, Roderick and Melgarejo;

Matic, Enzo Perez, Gaitán, Ola John, Urreta, Aimar and André Gomes;

Cardozo, Lima and Rodrigo.

Stronger than usual?

YOu can't scare us with all these foreign sounding names.

Stronger than usual?

Only Salvio missing. But if Ola John and Gaitan play in the wings that shouldn't be a problem, identical quality but different styles.

:lol:

I lol'd. :lol:

What about Obertan?

Can't see who else we'd play really. He's done alright in fits and starts down that left hand side. There's not much pace in the side.

Marveaux? :lol:

I can understand not playing him there mind as he doesn't look at all a winger (especially one who will go outside), but unless Obertan sticks in one of his rare acceptable performances I think we'd be better off just plonking Marv out there and praying he plays a killer ball through to Cisse.

The Dutch league is in complete disarray at the moment, which is for a completely different topic as I actually blame the Premiership and its riches in large parts for that. Still, I am not so convinced Benfica is so much better than Ajax for example, even at this point in time and that could be extended to the entire league comparison really. What you have said for Benfica in your second paragraph (which I mostly agree with) is equally true for them, maybe even more so*.

* God knows I hate Ajax btw, so it took a lot to say that.. :lol:

In the last 4 years (since Jorge Jesus took charge as this is "his" team) we are the 7th best performers in european games (UEFA Ranking, not bullshiting :lol:). A victory against Newcastle, even if we get eliminated in the end (1-0W, 0-2L, for example) is enough to make us 6th. Ahead of Inter, Arsenal, Valencia, Milan, Lyon, Schalke, Porto, etc. And every dutch team. It's not a once in a season thing. The team is being consistent; two quarters and one semi final last three seasons + quarters so far this season. In this 4 years we played two dutch teams. PSV in the Europa League and Twente in the CL qualifiers. 4 games, 2W, 2D (4-1; 2-2; 3-1; 2-2;).

There's no denying the amount of talent you have btw. That's why we bought Ola John and supposedly Djuricic as well. Sulejmani is being linked with us as well, but I read some Ajax fans saying he's a fat b****** :lol: Portuguese and dutch share many virtues and difficulties, I agree.

(and I'm glad the Pardew's discussion is over; the man rate us higher than even I do since we have no Aguero's in the bench and he still gets attacked ffs :lol:)

That's all dandy, but it is my contention having the seventh best record in Europe doesn't automatically make you the seventh best team in Europe for reasons I have outlined before. Oh, and in those four years you mention, I presume Benfica must have won their own league consistently as well? (just pulling your leg, sorry, couldn't resist)

That's all dandy, but it is my contention having the seventh best record in Europe doesn't automatically make you the seventh best team in Europe for reasons I have outlined before. Oh, and in those four years you mention, I presume Benfica must have won their own league consistently as well? (just pulling your leg, sorry, couldn't resist)

Hopefully this year we'll make it 2 in 4 years. Not perfect, not a disaster either. Porto's been good in Europe as well, Braga was in a Europa league final 2 years ago and even Sporting, who's been miserable this last 3 or 4 years, was in a EL semi final last year beating City in the process. Any dutch team can match that? :lol:

Hmm, they appear to be taking it seriously. Can i be the first to say.....oh bloody sh*t.

Pardew rated us very high: saying that we were one of the best teams in Europe, favorites, etc. The rest is portuguese press™, as I stated before.

Benfica_1904 is quite precious bless him.

Minor thing, but notice there are no sponsors logos on any of the training kit on those pics from Portugal - whereas the training pics from the UK have Virgin Media and SD.com on them.