Benfica vs. Newcastle United - 04/04/13 @ 8.05pm (ITV4)

bowlingcrofty

Let's tonk these wankers. When I lived in Lisbon, they were crap but still crowing about their glorious history, which was already some decades in the past. They're obviously better now, but the Portuguese league isn't much better than the Scottish Premier -- three decent teams, the rest are cannon fodder. Pardew's correct to appraise them as a mid-table team, if miraculously transferred to the Premier League. Some seasons they'd be challenging for Europe, others they'd be flirting with relegation. Bit like us, really. Probably better than us right now. But still beatable.

And remember, they've only won one more European trophy than we have.

See the Premier League, La Liga...

I think we'll get done 3 or 4-0 tonight, haven't got much hope.

Er no, neither the Premier League or La Liga are comparable to the Portuguese league in that regard.

Guest bimpy474

Where did you see the interview ?

Last night, well 3am this morning, a clip on SSN from his press conference, he said Tiote's out and so is "Santi". I'm sure that's the name he used.

____________Krul______________

Perch___Saylor___Mbiwa___Haidara

_______Cabaye___Anita__________

Marveaux____Sissoko______Santon

_____________Cisse____________

got ridiculed for proposing more or less the same team yesterday, keep jonas and simpson out pls

Quite rightly :lol:

f***s your problem with it, santon?  otherwise what's your beef?

For one, Haidara didn't travel. Santon has never played on the wing (afaik) either and would be a strange time to try it with 2 full-backs out injured. If Haidara was fit it would be a cool system to try, tbf.

It'll be Krul; Simpson, Mapou, Saylor, Santon; Cabaye, Perch; Marveaux, Sissoko, Jonas; Cissé. I agree with the sentiment of keeping Jonas and Simpson out but this is 100% the sort of game Pardew loves Jonas in. Perch will sit deep and break up play. Sissoko will drop deep too with Marveaux sitting forward and Jonas doing a heap of leg work. It'll be all about shutting them out.

Spot on there!

I think we will battle hard and try to nick a goal (copyright - pards), the outcome will depend on how rattled we can get them and if we get the first goal. portuguese are known for crumbling and fans get nervous pretty quick if goals don't flow...

Totally, see it going the same way as Anzhi away. 0-0 would be a good result too, imo!

For all the jonas haters out there, this is exactly the game we need his services for; lots of running, covering back and drawing the odd foul to slow them down and break play. If he does manage to get close to goal... we can arl gan reet beserk like!!! Hawaaay!!!

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

As limited as the bloke is I actually think tonight could be a good night to play Shola. I'd go something like

Krul

Simpson Taylor MYM Santon

Marv    Cabaye  Perch  Jonas

Cisse  Shola

:megusta: At least someone agrees to play Shola

Last night, well 3am this morning, a clip on SSN from his press conference, he said Tiote's out and so is "Santi". I'm sure that's the name he used.

He calls Haidara "Sadio" - could that have been it?

Guest bimpy474

Just watched his press conference again.

He says no "Sadio"

He means Haidara....thank god he didn't mean Santon then. Sorry for my mistake earlier guys.

Guest bimpy474

Yeah it was mate, just watched it again... O0

Guest benfiquista

I didn't feel provoked by Pardew's statement.

The statement is being used in the portuguese media as provokative because that draws a lot of attention, but if you actually read what he said, it actually shows respect for Benfica.

Hoping for two great games and may the best team win.

____________Krul______________

Perch___Saylor___Mbiwa___Haidara

_______Cabaye___Anita__________

Marveaux____Sissoko______Santon

_____________Cisse____________

got ridiculed for proposing more or less the same team yesterday, keep jonas and simpson out pls

Quite rightly :lol:

fucks your problem with it, santon?  otherwise what's your beef?

Such a fucking radgie :lol:

Yeah it was mate, just watched it again... O0

Probably deliberately made it sound ambiguous just to ruin your night's sleep. Fucking Pardew.

;)

Santiago Muñez

Guest benfiquista

Just heard that NUFC received 4200 tickets and didn't sell them all.

Do you reckon your fans bought tickets for the general public and will be spread out in the stadium? Was expecting an invasion from the magpies.

Do you reckon your fans bought tickets for the general public and will be spread out in the stadium? Was expecting an invasion from the magpies.

Sold about 3,800 according to reports.

Sold about 3,800 according to reports.

Still a good number of supporters. :)