Benfica 3 - 1 Newcastle United - 04/04/13 - post-match reaction from page 62

Dave

My view, FWIW, is that you'll rightly be gutted with how you conceded the goals (perhaps Krul could have done better, ridiculous backpass, ridiculous penalty to give away), but the scoreline, IMO, was fair.

However I don't think this tie is over. They do not look solid at all at the back and on another night you could have scored more.

I agree except that I think the scoreline was hard on us. Two freaks goals and also an excellent potential situation stopped with a wrong offside call.

Aye. Lose by one would have been fair, this hurts like fuck though. Two such rubbish goals to just give away, and being massively unlucky with both those off the post.

A disgrace of a referee's performance. Benfica diving throughout the game, always getting the decisions. Even when it was a blatant dive no action was taken against Benfica. That offside decision, f*** me UEFA need retrain their referee's, that penalty, never a penalty if your giving penalties for that then we should just chop people's arms off incase a ball if ever accidentally brushes a players arm. It wasn't even his arm. The time they got the advantage and the free kick, the penalty haven't to be retaken because they encroached the area. What a disgrace. Benfica did f*** all, their only threatening attacks came on the counter, they did f*** all in the 2nd half and were gifted the goals.

If they do beat us then there is no way they are going to win this cup, they offer f*** all.

It was definitely a penalty. He played it with his arm.

Set up well today, individual errors ruined it. Think some of the players in 'our greatest team ever assembled' just aren't at that level.

Still, all is not lost, Benfica aren't up to that much.

P.s Please kick the Benfica fans off here. Their players are a face-holding pack of quims, don't want to read any of their shite.

I thought Cisse was desperately unlucky with both chances. The first ball was behind him and on his weaker foot, and so nearly went in... the second was a lovely little chip on his weaker foot, and was desperately close.

Hard to disagree with that tbh, just so gutting that tonight all seems very self inflicted.

Benfica played well but if Santon doesn't play Lima in that stays at 1-1  IMO, so disappointing.

Guest neesy111

Cabaye has got to stop with these daft fouls. Nearly got suspended in the last 15 seconds of the game. Idiotic.

And the first 15 minutes. :lol:

He does those late standing tackles far too often.

He gets away with loads of stuff and should be booked much more often imo.

Shame in the end, but not as depressing as I was expecting. :lol: It's certainly a task getting through, but the chance is still there.

Benfica were the better side in all, quite clearly imo. Just a shame that the rearguard action that's helped us progress thus far failed us tonight. Two big individual errors cost us. It could've been a much more encouraging score to take into next week but let's keep the faith. :clap2:

Hardly blame anything on individuals but, today, Taylor and Santon cost us the game. Also, Cisse should have got at least 2.

We're still not out, though.

Yes we are.

Not bad, genuinely. We were shoddy after they equalised and shot ourselves massively in a ten minute spell where we gave them everything.

Aside from that, we gave them a good game and should have scored at least one more goal. More luck and we'd have had at least two more goals.

Uphill battle to get through, but it's certainly not beyond us.

:thup:

Stifler, how the fuck was the arm accidental, he grabs his balls immediately to get away with it :lol:

Typical Saylor unfortunately, he's a more-than-decent player but he has these mental moments and probably always will.

I'm assuming Taylor doesn't see the ball because Sissoko (what the hell is he doing?) is in his way and it just hits his arm. Taylor's first reaction when something hits him on his arm is to pretend it hit him somewhere else.

Set up well today, individual errors ruined it. Think some of the players in 'our greatest team ever assembled' just aren't at that level.

Still, all is not lost, Benfica aren't up to that much.

P.s Please kick the Benfica fans off here. Their players are a face-holding pack of quims, don't want to read any of their shite.

Get a grip.

Cabaye has got to stop with these daft fouls. Nearly got suspended in the last 15 seconds of the game. Idiotic.

And the first 15 minutes. :lol:

Aye. Needs to fucking sort it tbh. Hes a nasty little get at times.

Hardly blame anything on individuals but, today, Taylor and Santon cost us the game. Also, Cisse should have got at least 2.

We're still not out, though.

Yes we are.

Are the quarter-finals one-legged now?

Stifler, how the fuck was the arm accidental, he grabs his balls immediately to get away with it :lol:

Typical Saylor unfortunately, he's a more-than-decent player but he has these mental moments and probably always will.

I'm assuming Taylor doesn't see the ball because Sissoko (what the hell is he doing?) is in his way and it just hits his arm. Taylor's first reaction when something hits him on his arm is to pretend it hit him somewhere else.

Maybe I suppose, he doesn't do much to get out of the way though.

A disappointing 70 mins from us, pressing high up the park worked well and rattled them but we got deeper and deeper then that pressure contributed to the mistakes which ultimately cost us this game.

Some poor performances from some of our players , Santon in particular even before the mistake. Cabaye needs to be spraying more balls around the pitch to open more gaps.

Positives, I think we can beat them at SJP. I'm not sure if we can do it without conceding but I do think we can beat them. Hopefully at home and with a different referee who I personally found to be annoying and inconsistent.

Benfica look more experienced then us for sure, they play nice quick football but its a shame to see how easy they go down also begging for a red card for Ameobi is a small time attitude.

Anyways, we can beat them at SJP.

I'm sorry but footballers are told time and time again to keep their hands down their side, Taylor did this, he didn't raise his hand at all, it hit his shoulder at first. If you are told to keep your arms by your side and when you do that the ball hits you and penalties are still given then we might as well just chop our arms off because thats the only way handball isn't ever going to be given.

Bring on the home reverse fixture. Hopefully a win this weekend and a real rocking St James Park to cheer our lads on.

I've got to say this is probably the 3 most important home fixtures in a row in quite some time.