Benfica 3 - 1 Newcastle United - 04/04/13 - post-match reaction from page 62

Dave

Ah man, that's so frustrating - a few centimetres either way on Cisse's shots and take away 2 brain farts from our defence and it could easily have been 3-1 the other way.

Think we can definitely beat them at SJP, just not sure we can stop them scoring...

Benfica were the better side, but I don't think 3-1 fully reflects the share we had of the game and clear cut chances. They capitalised on our mistakes, we weren't able to do the same.

That fucking offside late on. All Cisse had to do was square it for Sissoko to tap in.

Fucking pathetic decision. And it's not the first time we've been screwed over by hopeless assistant referees in this competition.

Boro done impossible comebacks.

Sometimes it's just when there is no hope left, when the faith is lost and you only keep going out loyalty, it at these moments when Newcastle United pull something off. 3-2 vs Feyenoord, the come back we had after going down, the 4-4 against Arsenal, this season against Chelsea. Every so often Newcastle United produce something to bring you back, something to keep you going, something to make you proud again. Howay the Toon, lets do that next week, lets beat Benfica, send them home crying like we were in 2005 in Lisbon.

Guest Pablito

As a Benfica fan I expected more from my team. Very bad start to be honest. Salvio, Perez, Maxi and Lima were out for us which affected our performance in the first half in my opinion. Newcastle had 2 great chances and we were lucky, but we also played some good football in certain periods of the match, your keeper was for me the best player of the match. Tremendous! The referee was terrible, I mean, I am not good on excuses but why nominating a French referee when Newcastle has so many french players? Does not make any sense at all.

I expect a better match on the second leg from Benfica, I think we will go through, anyway, hope you guys enjoyed Lisbon.

Benfica were the better side, but I don't think 3-1 fully reflects the share we had of the game and clear cut chances. They capitalised on our mistakes, we weren't able to do the same.

That fucking offside late on. All Cisse had to do was square it for Sissoko to tap in.

Fucking pathetic decision. And it's not the first time we've been screwed over by hopeless assistant referees in this competition.

Particularly bad one this, as it was clearly obvious that Sissoko had opted not to become active to stay onside.

Sometimes it's just when there is no hope left, when the faith is lost and you only keep going out loyalty, it at these moments when Newcastle United pull something off. 3-2 vs Feyenoord, the come back we had after going down, the 4-4 against Arsenal, this season against Chelsea. Every so often Newcastle United produce something to bring you back, something to keep you going, something to make you proud again. Howay the Toon, lets do that next week, lets beat Benfica, send them home crying like we were in 2005 in Lisbon.

Nearly brought me to tears that!

:indi:

As a Benfica fan I expected more from my team. Very bad start to be honest. Salvio, Perez, Maxi and Lima were out for us which affected our performance in the first half in my opinion. Newcastle had 2 great chances and we were lucky, but we also played some good football in certain periods of the match, your keeper was for me the best player of the match. Tremendous! The referee was terrible, I mean, I am not good on excuses but why nominating a French referee when Newcastle has so many french players? Does not make any sense at all.

I expect a better match on the second leg from Benfica, I think we will go through, anyway, hope you guys enjoyed Lisbon.

Don't know how yous can have a pop at the referee.

Guest bimpy474

Particularly bad one this, as it was clearly obvious that Sissoko had opted not to become active to stay onside.

He didn't though, he made a slight movement toward the ball, then stop himself. Which the lino should have waited for but he didn't and flagged when he saw Sissoko's first movement.

Guest The Legendary Tiger Man

How good are Benfica at setting up behind the ball?

Will they even look to do that in the 2nd leg?

We're not dead and buried yet,2-0 home win is very possible in any game.

Even if we get battered with possesion/time wasting all we need is a pen/Cabaye set piece/O.G and it's game on.

Well, it's not one of our strongest points. We're not a team like Barcelona that cools off the game by passing it around, our game is pretty straight forward. I believe that we'll defend close to our goal and try to counter attack very quickly as soon as we get the ball.

Should be a very entertaining and nervous 2nd leg.

Pluses:

Cisse - on fire and close to MOTM, great touches and set up play, linked up well with Moussa. Should have had 4/5 today.

Sissoko - Back to form great working from him, faded when Benfica realised they had to close us down. Looks great when given space.

Guti - Much better game from him, fantastic defensive performance as well.

Krul - MOTM a barnstorming return, will be pig sick with the defence in front of him.

Pardew - Setting up a side properly without negative intent.

Negatives:

Santon - Another game cost because of his mistakes. Has to pull himself together on Sunday. Dropping him wont make things better he needs to sort himself out.

Mbiwa - Looked dodgy at times, going to chalk that up to not being used to Krul.

Ameobi - Still deemed an option to bring on. Thought he was at Wrestlemania and if anything made things worse for us.

Stupid errors - its holding us back and could be responsible for our relegation if we don't stop them. The likes of Cabaye and Marveaux had their fair share in addition to the entire backline.

Momentous effort needed - We will go all out next week, but at what cost with a possible relegation decider the Sunday after. Much hinges on the Fulham game this Sunday...its a must win game for us.

I must say I have seen Benfica a lot better than tonight. We are forced into a corner now and have to really get into them at St James.

I expected them to be much better, I think the praise they are getting on TV and on here is a bit over the top.

They will obviously probably be knocking us out like, so I know that sounds a bit silly.

Guest matic21

How good are Benfica at setting up behind the ball?

Will they even look to do that in the 2nd leg?

We're not dead and buried yet,2-0 home win is very possible in any game.

Even if we get battered with possesion/time wasting all we need is a pen/Cabaye set piece/O.G and it's game on.

Don´t expect that...

Newcaslte will have to run after the score, you'll have to play more open. And Benfica usually scores every match.

I don´t wanna sound arrogant... but my 1ºst impression of Newcastle is that if we speed up and press we score.

I must say I have seen Benfica a lot better than tonight. We are forced into a corner now and have to really get into them at St James.

I expected them to be much better, I think the praise they are getting on TV and on here is a bit over the top.

They will obviously probably be knocking us out like, so I know that sounds a bit silly.

They won it by quickly pressing us high up the pitch. I thought they were very good, but can believe it when people say they're better than that. It was only that particular tactic that undone us, really. I say 'only', it was the entire ethos of their gameplan tonight.

Simple and effective. I don't know why we don't do it more. It should be something you can request a team of professional athletes to do.

Nearly brought me to tears that!

:indi:

Shame the law of averages and statistics show that we crumble ten times more often.. but sod it, the game is still certainly ours for the taking.

Aye I've seen them quite a few times this season and I'd say they definitely have another gear in them. Like their lads are saying though they had a few missing.

Being at home for the second leg is a massive advantage for us as the losing side. If the crowd is up for it and we score early on they'll be nervous as fuck.

Yep as always in europe the away goal can make all the difference.