Benfica 3 - 1 Newcastle United - 04/04/13 - post-match reaction from page 62

Dave

Guest bimpy474

I'm gonna check, for my own curiosity.

Either way it was a farce. Things like that when you're under the cosh and away from home seem to happen to us all too often, it's just another area of our game that we're sadly lacking in. Should be so fucking basic as well.

:sadnod:

Lose v Fulham and I'd wave the white flag before next Thursday sadly as the Mackems game becomes our most important for a few years.  Preserving our league status has to be priority now imo.

Every club agrees with that.

This cup is nowhere near as important as the old UEFA Cup was.

When the last trophy you have won is as far back as 1969, every cup is important. That's why, considering the  chances we had and the goals we gave to you on a plate, that this is so so disappointing.

Guest neesy111

Lose v Fulham and I'd wave the white flag before next Thursday sadly as the Mackems game becomes our most important for a few years.  Preserving our league status has to be priority now imo.

If we lose against Fulham, it's even more important to get a result on Thursday to get some confidence back. As was said before this game, rather confident players than "fresh" players.

Disagree.  Robson did this 11 years back v Kiev, rested quite a few players for the derby game, worked out in our favour.

Hughton rested players for our League Cup drubbing vs Arsenal (4-0?), before our 5-1 win against the mackems too.

To which a fair few criticised him for as well.

63:46 - Attacking throw-in by Jonas Gutierrez(Newcastle).

64:07 - Defending throw-in by Andre Almeida(Benfica).

64:55 - Goal by Rodrigo Lima(Benfica) right-footed (bottom-left of goal) from right side of penalty area (12 yards).Benfica 2-1 Newcastle.

:anguish: :anguish: :anguish:

Was that the foul throw? I didnt even see it properly there wasn't a replay.

I thought the ref gave it to them because Jonas took the throw 5 yards too far forward to where the throw in was given. Stealing yards if you like.

Their player then took it, doing exactly the same and the ref let that go.

I didnt even know that was allowed! Unbelievable if true. Ref normally just makes them retake it in the right spot. Had to have been a foul throw surely.

I think he stepped over the line while taking it, if I was reading the referee's signals correctly.

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1328/nhlrefsignals.jpg

When the last trophy you have won is as far back as 1969, every cup is important. That's why, considering the  chances we had and the goals we gave to you on a plate, that this is so so disappointing.

You think I don't feel your pain? 1962 here.

We had so much luck today. No doubts about that.

Guest neesy111

If Simpson's injury is bad it's Jonas at full back against Fulham :anguish:

Haidara already ruled out?

Lost track of injuries. Debuchy not back?

Mackems game according to Physio Room.

You think I don't feel your pain? 1962 here.

We had so much luck today. No doubts about that.

You haven't won anything since 1962?

64:55 - Goal by Rodrigo Lima(Benfica) right-footed (bottom-left of goal) from right side of penalty area (12 yards).Benfica 2-1 Newcastle.

Aye. I know it may seem daft to some to go back to an incident such as that, but to finally have gotten out of our own half by winning a throw-in to take some pressure off we proceed to allow Jonas to take it, he foul throws and then they're 2-1 within a minute of them taking the restart. Leave it sitting there and get Santon on it, then try and retain some possession from it ourselves perhaps?

It was so fucking schoolboy I wanted to run head-first into my TV.

Bad decision or not, we've got an awful habit of not exploiting a potential release of pressure. Whether it's a rushed throw or a needless foul in the centre of the park - we rarely help ourselves. Whenever the pressure is on us, it always seems to last for ten minutes minimum. That sort of problem harks back to the whole footballing philosophy which, as we all know, Pardew needs to basically revamp over the summer.

Guest andrer2926

hi there, 1st post on this forum. Props to newcastle fans :)

benfica had a bad start, i think the reason for us to have some problems was André Gomes, in start 11. When u play with only 2 guys on the midfield, they have to bring supreme coordination and tactical approach. He is a fine player, however very young and much to learn. Not ready for this type of games yet i think. Benfica showed better after Enzo Perez sub( usual starter), who works perfectly siding with matic. With this two man in the midfield, i believe u dont stand much of a chance in SJP.

Even with this ( and other ) changes, i expected more from newcastle. The referee....well. I wont even talk about him.

I expect some more football in your home match. Good luck!

Guest bimpy474

If Simpsons out and Haidara doesn't make it.

I smell Santon Saylor Williamson with Mapou RB

Shit no.

I would rather Anita at RB than any of that happening.

Same here.

It wasn't a foul throw as such, jonas was told to take further back more than once but took it way further forward than where it was meant to be so the ref gave them the throw.

It wasn't a foul throw as such, jonas was told to take further back more than once but took it way further forward than where it was meant to be so the ref gave them the throw.

Cheers Ujpest :thup:

Bimpy saw it right, I was too busy spitting bile.

If we lose against Fulham, it's even more important to get a result on Thursday to get some confidence back. As was said before this game, rather confident players than "fresh" players.

Disagree.  Robson did this 11 years back v Kiev, rested quite a few players for the derby game, worked out in our favour.

Going by what Pardew has been saying all season, he agrees with you, I don't though.

Looking at our results since we got the new players in January, we had good results after the Kharkiv and first Anzhi games, then that cunt of a game against Wigan knocked the wind out of sails.

Going by what Pardew has been saying all season, he agrees with you, I don't though.

Looking at our results since we got the new players in January, we had good results after the Kharkiv and first Anzhi games, then that c*** of a game against Wigan knocked the wind out of sails.

I was in Orebro twice. Swedish people are just lovely and great.

Looking at our results since we got the new players in January, we had good results after the Kharkiv and first Anzhi games, then that c*** of a game against Wigan knocked the wind out of sails.

I was in Orebro twice. Swedish people are just lovely and great.

Cheers :lol: What the hell were you doing in Örebro mind?