Benfica 3 - 1 Newcastle United - 04/04/13 - post-match reaction from page 62

Dave

In other news, Spurs are pretty much out. :lol:

Eh? They can't beat Basel in the second leg?

Spurs scoring 3 away goals in a second leg game...Unheard of.

One can be enough.

God.

I went thru the pages to see your reactions to our goals and I feel terrible now.

You're such a good bunch of lads, I really enjoy you guys, even if you're telling me constantly to f*** off.

If you make it through, I wish you win the EL  O0

You're a mad f***er like, but I hope you (and the other Benfica lads, except the ones that took offence to Pardew saying you would be a top 10 team in the PL) stay on here. Big part of the reason why this is the best forum around is that you can expect decent discussions even when things goes against us like it did tonight.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest bimpy474

63:46 - Attacking throw-in by Jonas Gutierrez(Newcastle).

64:07 - Defending throw-in by Andre Almeida(Benfica).

64:55 - Goal by Rodrigo Lima(Benfica) right-footed (bottom-left of goal) from right side of penalty area (12 yards).Benfica 2-1 Newcastle.

:anguish: :anguish: :anguish:

Was that the foul throw? I didnt even see it properly there wasn't a replay.

I thought the ref gave it to them because Jonas took the throw 5 yards too far forward to where the throw in was given. Stealing yards if you like.

Their player then took it, doing exactly the same and the ref let that go.

On a side note..  what is this revolutionary tactic of having more than one set piece routine? MIND BLOWING

Like the fact Benfica play adventurously... there was a time we used to take the word creativity out of the vault and try defining it on the pitch.

Guest neesy111

Lose v Fulham and I'd wave the white flag before next Thursday sadly as the Mackems game becomes our most important for a few years.  Preserving our league status has to be priority now imo.

God.

I went thru the pages to see your reactions to our goals and I feel terrible now.

You're such a good bunch of lads, I really enjoy you guys, even if you're telling me constantly to f*** off.

If you make it through, I wish you win the EL  O0

You're a mad f***er like, but I hope you (and the other Benfica lads, except the ones that took offence to Pardew saying you would be a top 10 team in the PL) stay on here. Big part of the reason why this is the best forum around is that you can expect decent discussions even when things goes against us like it did tonight.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

As long as you don't interfere O0

64:55 - Goal by Rodrigo Lima(Benfica) right-footed (bottom-left of goal) from right side of penalty area (12 yards).Benfica 2-1 Newcastle.

Aye. I know it may seem daft to some to go back to an incident such as that, but to finally have gotten out of our own half by winning a throw-in to take some pressure off we proceed to allow Jonas to take it, he foul throws and then they're 2-1 within a minute of them taking the restart. Leave it sitting there and get Santon on it, then try and retain some possession from it ourselves perhaps?

It was so fucking schoolboy I wanted to run head-first into my TV.

Those extra officials behind the goal have never made a decision in any of the previous games they've been used have they? Typical that in the history of those extra official behind the goal, their first recorded action is to award a penalty against Newcastle.

I thought the ref gave it to them because Jonas took the throw 5 yards too far forward to where the throw in was given. Stealing yards if you like.

I didnt even know that was allowed! Unbelievable if true. Ref normally just makes them retake it in the right spot. Had to have been a foul throw surely.

Lose v Fulham and I'd wave the white flag before next Thursday sadly as the Mackems game becomes our most important for a few years.  Preserving our league status has to be priority now imo.

Every club agrees with that.

This cup is nowhere near as important as the old UEFA Cup was.

If we lose against Fulham, it's even more important to get a result on Thursday to get some confidence back. As was said before this game, rather confident players than "fresh" players.

Guest neesy111

Those extra officials behind the goal have never made a decision in any of the previous games they've been used have they? Typical that in the history of those extra official behind the goal, their first recorded action is to award a penalty against Newcastle.

They do make decisions, it's just all done via the microphones they have.

Aye. I know it may seem daft to some to go back to an incident such as that, but to finally have gotten out of our own half by winning a throw-in to take some pressure off we proceed to allow Jonas to take it, he foul throws and then they're 2-1 within a minute of them taking the restart. Leave it sitting there and get Santon on it, then try and retain some possession from it ourselves perhaps?

We're usually excellent at our throw-ins. :razz:

Guest bimpy474

My post above Rich, i dont think it was or a foul throw, stealing yards in fact. Same thing really i suppose.

I didnt even know that was allowed! Unbelievable if true. Ref normally just makes them retake it in the right spot. Had to have been a foul throw surely.

I think he stepped over the line while taking it, if I was reading the referee's signals correctly.

Guest neesy111

If we lose against Fulham, it's even more important to get a result on Thursday to get some confidence back. As was said before this game, rather confident players than "fresh" players.

Disagree.  Robson did this 11 years back v Kiev, rested quite a few players for the derby game, worked out in our favour.

Guest Pablito

I must say I have seen Benfica a lot better than tonight. We are forced into a corner now and have to really get into them at St James.

And you're right mate. As a Benfica fan I must say that we did not play that well tonight. I think we could have done better.

I'm gonna check, for my own curiosity.

Either way it was a farce. Things like that when you're under the cosh and away from home seem to happen to us all too often, it's just another area of our game that we're sadly lacking in. Should be so fucking basic as well.

Disagree.  Robson did this 11 years back v Kiev, rested quite a few players for the derby game, worked out in our favour.

Hughton rested players for our League Cup drubbing vs Arsenal (4-0?), before our 5-1 win against the mackems too.