Benfica 3 - 1 Newcastle United - 04/04/13 - post-match reaction from page 62

Dave

woke up at 3am to watch two c***s make errors that you can hardly call schoolboy errors because even schoolboys dont do the s*** our defence comes up with

don't bother next week ladyboy

:lol:

People blaming Pardew. :lol:

Aye, I'm sure he instructed Santon to pass it to their forwards and Taylor to deliberately handball it in the penalty area.

No credibility at all.

Santon i would a bit, as a coach you should be drilling into players never to do things like that.........if Santon keeps doing things like that then you leave him out.

The Saylor one is 100% nothing to do with Pardew.

Come on Bimpy, that's horseshit.

Not really, Pardew is a defensive coach who's team continues to concede goal after goal. The worst defence in the premiership away from home.

The amount of goals you concede and the way you conceded them in the main is down to the managers tactics, are they not.

Not specifically tonight mind.

The two goals we've conceded have absolutely nothing to do with Pardew. Unless Pardew has told Santon to pass it back blindly or Taylor to play handball and pretending it hit his dick.

Read my posts again, Santon a  little bit.......the handball completely not Pardew's fault. And specifically tonight mind.

Once you've done that i'll accept your following apology.....

How you can put any blame on Pardew on the Santon error? :lol:

Pardew might not have told Santon to not do that but it's like telling him to not play with his hands on his balls. Everyone should know that.

Good game my fellow friends from Newcastle  O0

Lady luck was on our side tonight, but a big big fixture is expected at SJP for the 2nd leg  ;)

Stupid individual mistakes from us tonight.  You could definitely tell who the more experienced team in Europe were!  Should be a good game back at our place, even Pardew surely won't have us defend a two-goal deficit in the next leg.

Could have been so, so different.

Credit to them though, they worked very hard all over the pitch.

Feel more encouraged for the run in, is the positive for me.

The tie isn't dead and it's far from a shameful result against a brilliant team, but it's gutting how we dismantled a potentially excellent result entirely from our own failings.

That pass-back from Santon was absolutely amateurish.

Not bad, genuinely. We were shoddy after they equalised and shot ourselves massively in a ten minute spell where we gave them everything.

Aside from that, we gave them a good game and should have scored at least one more goal. More luck and we'd have had at least two more goals.

Uphill battle to get through, but it's certainly not beyond us.

:thup:

These two above.

Really foul taste in my mouth as they were abs there for the taking but for 2 unlucky post hits and a different tie. Criminal mistake by Santon, and a really shit hand ball did us in.

3 Massive home matches coming up. HTL.

A disgrace of a referee's performance. Benfica diving throughout the game, always getting the decisions. Even when it was a blatant dive no action was taken against Benfica. That offside decision, fuck me UEFA need retrain their referee's, that penalty, never a penalty if your giving penalties for that then we should just chop people's arms off incase a ball if ever accidentally brushes a players arm. It wasn't even his arm. The time they got the advantage and the free kick, the penalty haven't to be retaken because they encroached the area. What a disgrace. Benfica did fuck all, their only threatening attacks came on the counter, they did fuck all in the 2nd half and were gifted the goals.

If they do beat us then there is no way they are going to win this cup, they offer fuck all.

2-0 win at St James' needed then...:undecided:

Not really confident about that at all.

Whyever not? If we could somehow find a way to play the full 90 the way we played the first 30 or so, we're more than capable of wresting a home win to take us through. My worry is whether we have the wherewithal to do just that.

Apart from them two horrific mistakes we should be proud, if luck swayed the other way tonight it could have been a different story. I will take the positive of an away goal and run with it . It will be a tough task but by no means impossible at St James' , get a positive sell out crowd and we can do it, we can turn it around. Nobody thought that we could get past Anzi. We have got this far and we can still get past Benfica.

Excellent game until Santon and Taylor decided they were going to throw it. Benfica aren't a side who will come to St James' and shut up shop (like we would if the roles were reversed) which is a massive plus point for us. We can definitely score a few past these at St James'.

Gutted, really. Not too angry with Pardew bar the ridiculous subs, but the way we totally fucked it up. Absolutely gutting

Two posts away from 3-3 away...we can do this at home tbh.

yeah... but basically you just did 3 shots on target. The goal, and 2 that hit the posts. Benfica played better

in fairness, out of all your shots, most of them were ballooned high or wide from outside the box :thup:

Self destruction. The only thing Pardew seems to bring out of teams he manages.

All a fascist plot obviously !  ;D

Pardew did absolutely nothing wrong, we lost due to Santon acting like a 12 year old and Cisse being terribly unlucky in front of goal.

My view, FWIW, is that you'll rightly be gutted with how you conceded the goals (perhaps Krul could have done better, ridiculous backpass, ridiculous penalty to give away), but the scoreline, IMO, was fair.

However I don't think this tie is over. They do not look solid at all at the back and on another night you could have scored more.

Guest neesy111

Our approach to next week will probably depend on the result of the Fulham game.  Lose that and the mackem game takes priority over the 2nd leg for me.

We played pretty well like but I can't help but feel we invited a bit of pressure onto ourselves after we went 1-0 up. I know they are an excellent team but they started slowly and we didn't have to do that as much.

I's difficult though, playing against an excellent side so I'm not going to be overly critical. Feel sorry for Cisse cause he was fucking brilliant. Santon will learn, Steven Taylor never does.