Benfica 3 - 1 Newcastle United - 04/04/13 - post-match reaction from page 62

Dave

Strange game, because although they were better, we gave away two goals through bad individual errors, and could have got more than one, with the chances that fell Cisse's way.

Not completely out of it, because I don't think their defence is up to much.

2-0 win at St James' needed then...:undecided:

Not really confident about that at all.

I'm not confident but it's certainly possible. Had we not gifted them two goals and had a bit more luck ourselves with Cisse's two that hit the post the scoreline could have been 3-1 to us. They were probably the better team overall but there's certainly chances to be had against them

I would have been more confident about next week if we managed to get a second goal tonight. Overturning a 3-1 deficit against Benfica is a helluva a task.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

My view, FWIW, is that you'll rightly be gutted with how you conceded the goals (perhaps Krul could have done better, ridiculous backpass, ridiculous penalty to give away), but the scoreline, IMO, was fair.

However I don't think this tie is over. They do not look solid at all at the back and on another night you could have scored more.

:thup:

My view, FWIW, is that you'll rightly be gutted with how you conceded the goals (perhaps Krul could have done better, ridiculous backpass, ridiculous penalty to give away), but the scoreline, IMO, was fair.

However I don't think this tie is over. They do not look solid at all at the back and on another night you could have scored more.

I agree except that I think the scoreline was hard on us. Two freaks goals and also an excellent potential situation stopped with a wrong offside call.

To be honest we got beat by a good Benfica side, it was a poor performance but not terrible, by how  it went wouldn't have taken much luck for that to be a 3-1 victory to us, despite them playing better than us. I'm disappointed by how we reacted to their pressure, and very annoyed by those two second half goals but it's not the worst result in the world and fair play to them they were the better team. Now let's blow them away at St James, we'll probably go out still but what they hell lets try and score loads

woke up at 3am to watch two c***s make errors that you can hardly call schoolboy errors because even schoolboys dont do the s*** our defence comes up with

don't bother next week ladyboy

fuck off Joey

You just can't afford to gift goals like that to good teams like that. Gilt-edged chances that just needed knocking in to win the game and have a cushion too. Daft, brainless mistakes but they're costly. I just hope they learn from their mistakes and cut them out in the future.

I thought Cisse was desperately unlucky with both chances. The first ball was behind him and on his weaker foot, and so nearly went in... the second was a lovely little chip on his weaker foot, and was desperately close.

I thought Cisse was desperately unlucky with both chances. The first ball was behind him and on his weaker foot, and so nearly went in... the second was a lovely little chip on his weaker foot, and was desperately close.

He's been shit all season in terms of overall play, but man has he been extremely unlucky offensively...

Guest The Legendary Tiger Man

Good game my fellow friends from Newcastle  O0

Lady luck was on our side tonight, but a big big fixture is expected at SJP for the 2nd leg  ;)

Stupid individual mistakes from us tonight.  You could definitely tell who the more experienced team in Europe were!  Should be a good game back at our place, even Pardew surely won't have us defend a two-goal deficit in the next leg.

Santon's pass was totally suicidal, you can't make that kind of mistakes at this stage.

3-1 is far from being definitive, Benfica will struggle in England.

Not bad, genuinely. We were shoddy after they equalised and shot ourselves massively in a ten minute spell where we gave them everything.

Aside from that, we gave them a good game and should have scored at least one more goal. More luck and we'd have had at least two more goals.

Uphill battle to get through, but it's certainly not beyond us.

This, though losing in this way still feels awful.

They aren't anything special and at 2-1 I'd was pretty confident of going through, not sure we can keep a clean sheet if we go for it at home as we have to now.

The 2nd half performance was as expected we lacked momentum and invited them onto us. Cisse scoring one of his two other chances however would have been tie over. I was really hoping with the last chance he would pull back inside onto his right as his left is a bit hit and miss...Very unlucky for the chip not to go in however. He never seems to want to make absolutely sure which I find irritating - he seems to just want to make first contact whatever and however that is.

When we showed purpose in the first half an hour we had them well in hand and I wanted Pards to really drill it into them that they tie was winnable at 1-1 which is what you should do and then be happy to take the draw. Watching the players it felt like they were marking time and fiddling around at the back...Which is basically what led to the Santon howler.

Taylor always seems to want to do these kinds of things the clown.

Not all over but it won't be as possible as it would have been at 2-1. They aren't that good.

Guest bimpy474

People blaming Pardew. :lol:

Aye, I'm sure he instructed Santon to pass it to their forwards and Taylor to deliberately handball it in the penalty area.

No credibility at all.

Santon i would a bit, as a coach you should be drilling into players never to do things like that.........if Santon keeps doing things like that then you leave him out.

The Saylor one is 100% nothing to do with Pardew.

Come on Bimpy, that's horseshit.

Not really, Pardew is a defensive coach who's team continues to concede goal after goal. The worst defence in the premiership away from home.

The amount of goals you concede and the way you conceded them in the main is down to the managers tactics, are they not.

Not specifically tonight mind.

The two goals we've conceded have absolutely nothing to do with Pardew. Unless Pardew has told Santon to pass it back blindly or Taylor to play handball and pretending it hit his dick.

Read my posts again, Santon a  little bit.......the handball completely not Pardew's fault. And specifically tonight mind.

Once you've done that i'll accept your following apology.....

How you can put any blame on Pardew on the Santon error? :lol:

Pardew might not have told Santon to not do that but it's like telling him to not play with his hands on his balls. Everyone should know that.

My point is, as a defensive minded coach, he should have drilled into his player to not take chances, to not risk back passes to a GK who's kicking is abysmal. And never ever play blind back passes.

Now where we disagree is, i think Pardew is partly responsible for that lot if it sometimes goes wrong. He can't help a player doing what Saylor did. But Santon with nowhere to go should have put it out for a throw, drilled into him as i said by the defensive minded coach.

And when i said that i did say a little for the reasons above.

woke up at 3am to watch two c***s make errors that you can hardly call schoolboy errors because even schoolboys dont do the s*** our defence comes up with

don't bother next week ladyboy

f*** off Joey

love a bit of rtg

Fucking gutted. Utterly ludicrous defensive mistakes are costing us every game and we don't create enough chances to compensate. Having said that, we were lucky Krul was back. Elliott's a decent keeper but without Tim, it's a real pasting.

Guest Bruno_SLB

Hey guys!

First of all, fair play to you guys for being such class acts! :)

It was a really hard game, we (Benfica) were lucky in those two shots from Cissé to the post, if they went in we would be in big trouble. On the other hand, Krul made an great game (just like i would expected) and denied us a lot of great chances.

We ended up capitalizing two mistakes by Newcastle players, to make it 3-1.

Im sure you guys will make it really tough for us in St.James Park, i just hope we score first, that way we will improve much more our chances of getting trough.

All the luck in the world for you guys in the Premier League! (just let the luck be with Benfica in Europa League  :razz:)