Newcastle 1 - 1 Benfica - 11/04/13 (2 - 4 on agg) - post-match reaction from p60

Dave

cabaye looks so jaded atmo.  good try, but we werent lucky enough in the end.

He came to life when HBA and Marveaux came on. Both he and Sissoko suddenly started to play their roles a lot better. It's a fucking tragedy that we have players like those 4 who haven't played a game together all season.

FT: f*** off Pardew

I'd normally agree. But he had the tactics spot on. Would've got murdered pressing for the goals the whole 90

Bingo. I've slated Pardew for most of the season for the negative stuff but I can completely understand how we played tonight. Any Benfica goal killed the tie stone dead, going hell for leather from the off would have left too much space at the back. We clearly got the first and threw everything at them to get the second and had Benfica on the ropes. We just couldn't quite finish the job and get the second goal.

We were forced to show a bit of restraint due to being 2 goals down from the first leg, it wasn't like we started the tie at 0-0 tonight. No blame attached to Pardew tonight from me.

Generally agree. The fact they scored out the counter says a lot.

That 20 minute spell shows how the team can actually play which makes this whole season even more frustrating.

And in that 20 minutes it also showed how we could get caught playing like that. Perhaps we didnt have to wait that long to press for a goal but we shouldn't have played like that very early on in this game - would have killed us of I think. Regardless, luck wasn't on our side for this one over both legs. Decent run and will ponder what could have been.

Guest Recrutazer0

Congratz, you have a good set of players, but perhaps lack of experience and leadership (Manager) ....

The BENFICA IS BETTER!!  :frantic:

See You soon!!  :cool:

We lost this tie in Lisbon. Can't blame Pardew's tactics; I actually think he got it kinda right. If we'd gone after them We'd have been picked off and we scored at a great time. We very nearly pulled it off.

Can't blame Benfica for time wasting but it should have been more than 4 mins.

Good Luck to Benfica.  By far the better technical team but we really shouldn't have list 3-1 over there.

Guest Pablito

Good game! As a Benfica fan, I must say, you have a great stadium.

Now... about the match, I have to say we were very good on the first half, BUT normally we are more efficient. We should have scored one or two goals in the first half. I missed Cardozo to be honest.

On the second half, the match was not that good, I think we could have done better, and we could have lost with that stupid mistake by Matic. Anyway we were stronger in my opinion in both matches. Newcastle is a good team, but I dont really like the style of play, too many balls kicked up to Cisse and Ameobi.

Hope you guys win all the matches in PL, I enjoyed to come to your forum, and I will support you from now. Thank you, and best wishes.

Guest bimpy474

After some of the stuff we played tonight I'll be disappointed if we don't manage to beat the mackems by a good few goals. Think the players will be really up for it after tonight.

If and it's a big if, Pardew lets the team attack, which he seems loath to do.

FT: f*** off Pardew

I'd normally agree. But he had the tactics spot on. Would've got murdered pressing for the goals the whole 90

Bingo. I've slated Pardew for most of the season for the negative stuff but I can completely understand how we played tonight. Any Benfica goal killed the tie stone dead, going hell for leather from the off would have left too much space at the back. We clearly got the first and threw everything at them to get the second and had Benfica on the ropes. We just couldn't quite finish the job and get the second goal.

We were forced to show a bit of restraint due to being 2 goals down from the first leg, it wasn't like we started the tie at 0-0 tonight. No blame attached to Pardew tonight from me.

:thup:

:facepalm: People on here blame Pardew for every single last thing.

We were knocked out by a better team but we held our own and put in a great effort. So near yet so far in the end, could have been so much different with just a bit of luck, like Cissé's shots going in and not hitting the post last week.

:clap:

cabaye looks so jaded atmo.  good try, but we werent lucky enough in the end.

Spot on unfortunately. We weren't lucky enough. The only way we were getting through this tie  was through luck and we didn't have it. Home and away.

Good game! As a Benfica fan, I must say, you have a great stadium.

Now... about the match, I have to say we were very good on the first half, BUT normally we are more efficient. We should have scored one or two goals in the first half. I missed Cardozo to be honest.

On the second half, the match was not that good, I think we could have done better, and we could have lost with that stupid mistake by Matic. Anyway we were stronger in my opinion in both matches. Newcastle is a good team, but I dont really like the style of play, too many balls kicked up to Cisse and Ameobi.

Hope you guys win all the matches in PL, I enjoyed to come to your forum, and I will support you from now. Thank you, and best wishes.

:smitten: :thup:

We were out on our feet by the end because we'd let them walk around for 65mins. Such backwards logic to hope that we'd suddenly be able to turn it on. They wobbled for a spell of about ten minutes during which time we didn't even make the goalkeeper make a meaningful save. Then they got their shit together again.

Nobody will convince me that we couldn't have been more positive in this match without going all-out attack and giving goals away by default. Oh, and they could have EASILY been out of sight by half time even given our ultra-defensive approach. We cleared one off the line ffs.

Krul - 7. Did little wrong and released the ball early, which was nice.

Simpson - 6. Same old, same old. Competent in defence, ineffective going forward.

Yanga - 6. Was decent until some stupid decision-making at the end killed our pressure, very frustrating.

Williamson - 6. Thought he did well at the back, typically non-constructive on the ball.

Haidara - 8. Absolutely brilliant in the first half, faded in the second.

Anita - 7. Passed the ball with real intent, shouldn't have gone off.

Cabaye - 5. Fuck, man. We needed more from him tonight. Some nice tackles to break up the play but totally ineffective on the whole.

Bigi - 5. Thought it was a poxy decision playing him, especially there. Wasteful.

Sissoko - 7. Typically full of running, drove us forward well at times.

Jonas - 7. Similar, really. Played a part in the majority of our good play.

Cisse - 7. Did his best. We needed him to play on the last defender and he was unlucky with the goals.

---

Shola - 5. Wasteful.

Ben Arfa - 7. Changed the game.

Marveaux - 7. Ditto.

Benfica can f*** right off. Well done on all the cheating and time wasting. Disgusting. Hope you get battered in the next round.

This isn't 100% fear, NUFC also lost time in Estádio da Luz.

But you guys are in pieces, and I am truly sorry for you because you're such a great bunch of people.

I am really sorry you guys are out, I just hope everyone still gets along after this because I am not planning to leave.

For my side, the best part of the 1/4 finals was to meet all of you  O0

Nowt against the fans Jotenko. The players you have are an utter disgrace, namely Perez and that fuckwit of a goalkeeper. Believe me, your team plays good enough football to do without all the cheating. It would be understandable at least if your team was s***, but it isn't. It's f***ing embarrassing.

It would be the same thing if you played Porto. Or Sporting. Or Braga. Or.. or... or...

It's a matter of culture.

No doubt yours is better.

But things are what they are.

However, if you want to have a fair discussion, you'll have to admit that NUFC also lost some time at Lisbon.

A completely fair point.

:clap:

Went out to a better team in a worthily manner. Undeserved but that's football. They have too much quality across and we gave them two extremely difficult ties. :clap:

Not sure they are a better team tbh, player for player they are not. They just play cupcake teams every week therefore they have much more confidence and lack the mental sapping that pl clubs go through, That's the difference, I think pards is absolutely right that team is a mid table pl team, like we are.

They are a better team in terms of their fluency and attacking impetus (collectively)and their tactical gameplan. Individually, there isn't much between us. Both ourselves and Benfica have teams which could compete around the top 6 level in the premier league imo.

Guest matic21

It was a pleausure playing against you guys. You have a great stadium. Good luck for the rest of the season.

Fair play. Last 8 in Europe with a squad like that. We've done ourselves proud.

Getting out of that group was no big deal, ffs. :facepalm:

I never mentioned the group, though. We've done well looking at some of the absolute crap we've had to field.

If we played with the same urgency we showed in those 15 min.. Oh well, its been fun. I just ask Benfica to please beat Chelsea. Please.

They would have scored earlier if we played like we did in the last 20. Can't believe I'm going to say this, but Pards tactics worked very well.

i totally agree